Coconut flour

Options
Is it just my baking skills or does it make everything dry? Made keto pancakes with half coconut half almond flour and they tasted like what I imagine eating from an actual bag of flour would taste like...

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You can't sub coconut flour for regular flour without really upping the liquid. Look for recipes that specifically use coconut flour. They should have a lot of eggs and or other liquids in them.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Its not your cooking skills, it's a really absorbent product. It always results in a biscuit-y texture for me.
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ahh thank you, I didn't know that about the extra liquid...was devestated by their awfulness at lunch time. Will try again tomorrow :)
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It also requires more egg. It might give specifics on the back of your package. I use recioes specifically for coconut flour and it's gone well.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    A little goes a lonnnggg way. I've got a bag I've had for over a year.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Is it just my baking skills or does it make everything dry? Made keto pancakes with half coconut half almond flour and they tasted like what I imagine eating from an actual bag of flour would taste like...

LOL
  • flatlandrunner
    flatlandrunner Posts: 54 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here is some of what I teach my baking classes about coconut flour:
    - keep it in he fridge or freezer as it will spoil faster than regular flour (it pulls moisture out of the air as well as from other ingredients it gets mixed with)
    - substituting coconut flour from regular flour is never a one to one ratio. If a recipe calls for 1 cup regular flour, expect to only use 1/4 to a 1/3 of a cup coconut flour
    - Any batter or dough made using coconut flour should sit for approx 5-7 min before you bake with it. Coconut flour tends to absorb liquid like madness and letting the batter or dough sit will give you an idea if the consistency is correct (too dry, too watery, etc)
    - coconut flour is dense and doesn't rise like wheat flour does so usually coconut flour recipes require a bit more of your leavening agents

Tidbit about baking with almond flour:
    - keep it in the fridge or freezer, it too will spoil quickly compared to wheat and rice flours
    - almond flour needs eggs to leaven (if you don't eat eggs you can try egg substitutes but I have found that recipes with lots of almond flour need more eggs than a regular flour recipe to help things rise)
    - substituting almond flour from regular flour is also not a one to one bc almond flour needs more moisture than wheat flour. For every 1 cup of almond flour in my baking I add an extra egg or even 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
    - same as coconut flour let the batter or dough sit to check the consistency (this needs to sit a bit longer- I usually leave it to soak up for 9-10 min)

Hope this helps! Happy baking :)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    SANE solution had a 'donut' recipe on a video- 1 tbl coconut flour, 1 scoop protien powder, egg, 1/2c almond milk, stevia and baking powder..OK..followed it exactly and used silicon cupcakes forms as mold. turned out totally dense and sludgy dry.. they looked like they rose up and fell down low again, baked only 7 min in 350..but a failure taste wise. so they looked good on film, but bleah! (and the 'icing' was PP, greek yogurt, stevia..overall not impressive
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @flatlandrunner thank you for the tips on coconut and almond flour! Things I didn't know!