Pulled the muscle behind the knee. . . .what caused this?

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
I seem to have pulled the muscle behind my knee. It is kind of like a dull ache. I'm not sure whether this is from adding some time to my running (I thought I was building gradually enough), lifting (maybe deadlifts? Or sometimes I get some knee pain with squats or lunges. I have to be careful as lifting seems to cause more of a problem than running), or perhaps even several days in a row of lots more walking than normal while wearing heels. It has been a busy several days at work!

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd kind of like to know what might be irritating it, so perhaps I won't have to stop doing EVERYTHING for a few days.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best person to assess the issue is a medical professional. Whether running or lifting or something else caused it, if you are having pain, then I would suggest resting it - if it does not improve, then see a doctor.

There are so many things going on inside the knee that if could be a one of a myriad of things.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I think I figured it out.

First, it went away with one day of rest, and did not come back with my run on the second day.

Today I lifted, and one of the lifts is a one leg deadlift. I could feel it pulling on that one. So I skipped all deadlift type moves and I will give it some time.

Also probably need To do some stretching. My hamstrings and hips (gluts?) are always tight, and I was pretty inflexible even when I was young. That has not improved with age. I need to incorporate some regular yoga or stretching. For this and plenty of other reasons.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yaaaa for finding the reason.

Booo for it being deadlifts that must suffer the consequences.

Good call, and good plan. Been noticing that on myself too lately, probably just itching for an injury by not taking care of it.