New to low carb

Options
gemcoyle
gemcoyle Posts: 14 Member
I'm struggling to get 150 grams of protein a day. I really could use some meal plan ideas.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of protein. The calculators appear to be all over the map for protein.

Here's a reasonable range from Phinney/Atkins:

Screenshot2012-08-25at121010PM.png
    Screenshot2012-08-25at121056PM.png

I like it because it's based on sex and height rather than the less accurate weight or harder to know fat-free mass.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    That's a lot of protein. The calculators appear to be all over the map for protein.

Here's a reasonable range from Phinney/Atkins:

Screenshot2012-08-25at121010PM.png
    Screenshot2012-08-25at121056PM.png

I like it because it's based on sex and height rather than the less accurate weight or harder to know fat-free mass.

That's really useful @wabmester , thanks - the thing that struck me is how weird it is to measure people's height in shoes!

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" without my heels! And aim for 80g protein a day, but this reassures me that I needn't worry if I overshoot.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have protein at every meal and try to for snacks. Lots of bacon, eggs, ham (this has carbs) for breakfast. Lunch is meat leftover from the night before or today I bought a bag of ready made chicken for my salad. Dinner always has a meat. Last night the family wanted pizza so I had bacon and eggs.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Woohoo. I am almost in the range for that chart. Lol. Some days I am even in the range for my height. Most days I am 10-15g over.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Heh. I was having Greek yogurt (full fat, with extra fat, half a serving to help keep the carbs down) with my breakfast. When I started working out and having a high absorbing protein powder afterwards, I found I was having too MUCH protein!
    So, ah...
    My daily goal is 65g of protein for a 1300 calorie diet and I'm 5'4" barefoot and currently 141 lbs. I usually have 2-3 oz of meat with lunch and dinner, and bacon and eggs for breakfast. Have been right in line as long as I keep with that.
    If you need more protein, try adding Greek yogurt and protein powder to your diet. Also, eggs. Lots of eggs. Just make sure your protein powder has no sugars added, and mix oils in with it when you whip it up.

-T.

EDIT: That reminds me...
    Going to be stopping by Rudy's BBQ for some pork ribs with extra FAT on them for lunch. Mmm... If you're not familiar with Rudy's BBQ, it's a chain in Texas that sells BBQ / smoked meats by the pound and tears off a piece of white butcher paper for you to use as a "plate". Haha
    Also need to buy more EGGS from the store.