Prosciutto

Options
nicsflyingcircus
nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,454 Member
Got like 2+ lbs of it today for about 4$ because some employee at Target had labeled it frozen turkey breast. The 3oz package of the same product (sliced) was 6.99$.

Now to find awesome prosciutto recipes!

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Wrap it around feta cheese with some olives
    Wrap it around cantelope
  • yeswehave8
    yeswehave8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Prosciutto & cheese! *drool*
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Tomorrow: Egg cups
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

be careful when baking prosciutto. The salt content SKYROCKETS, to an almost unedible level.

• rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for egg rolls using prosciutto in place of the wrappers...
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »

be careful when baking prosciutto. The salt content SKYROCKETS, to an almost unedible level.

Fortunately I love salt, but I will keep that in mind. Could just be I don't add salt to the egg then.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    bundle it around asparagus and sautee gently.

put some concoction of cream cheese on it and roll it around a scallion, or pepper slice, or raw asparagus.
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Eat it straight like that from the packet. Mmmm, a very lucky find .
    When I do cook mine its wrapped around asparagus and griddled.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I had prosciutto wrapped chicken and asparagus one night recently. I discovered I am not a fan of prosciutto. It is a bear to work with, it doesn't have a nice flavor to start, it gets leathery and hard if cooked, not much to warrant using it in my mind.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    While I love prosciutto it so much sodium it's almost overkill, I rarely eat it, but for the price you can't beat it. It's about $9 per lb here.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    While I love prosciutto it so much sodium it's almost overkill, I rarely eat it, but for the price you can't beat it. It's about $9 per lb here.

Yeah in the normal course of things, prosciutto is way too pricey for me. $1.89/lb, I almost felt compelled to buy it, lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Put something crunchy in the middle, use a cream cheese or some creamy/cheese version, then wrap it all up in the prosciutto... I've been told it is bliss. I'll ask my guy for some more European suggestions since he spent almost a decade overseas!
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I got a tiny amount of prosciutto from Whole Foods. Sadly, it was not even close to your amazing deal...closer to like $20/lb.
    I didn't know what to do with it, either, and I ended up pitching it after a few days. I tried just eating a slice and was not impressed. Guess it's a good thing the cheaper bacon works for me in the thinly sliced pork area!

I tell you what, though, I will cut somebody for some good Niman Ranch Jambon Royale ham.
    The fat content on that stuff is just amazing, and the smell and flavour is intoxicating.
    I was lucky enough to get that "on sale" for $8.99/lb when it was supposed to be $11.99/lb. The guy at the deli counter couldn't find it in the system, so charged me the price for the cheaper Niman Ranch Applewood smoked petite ham.

-T.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    So I made egg cups. They were pretty dang delicious, though I both could not cut the meat as thin as I'd have liked and cooked it too long (my yolks were all the way set, I'd have preferred them a little yolkier).

Still, was quite delicious and fun to eat eggs with my hands.