Artificial sweeteners - any that you like?

Options
minties82
minties82 Posts: 907 Member
I just want an "ok" tasting hot chocolate every now and then. I have tried a couple of stevia based products and don't like the during or aftertaste at all. I also tried saccharin based stuffed which was ok, but not that thrilling.

I'm looking at splenda as it's not ridiculously expensive for a packed of 50 sachets. I'd only need a few servings a week so not too fussy about health effects. Has anyone tried it here? Is it less funny tasting than stevia?

I've already gone from milky coffee with 2 sugars to black and no sugar, so it would be awesome to have a nice choc drink sometimes.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of splenda at all, if you don't like stevia you probably won't like it either. Their are many versions of stevia, I bought a liquid one and don't like it at all but I really like truvia, at least I used to haven't had it in a while
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Maybe erythritol? Something like Swerve brand? They make a granular and a powdered version. It can re-crystalize as it cools down, so you may want the powdered version to cut back on that.
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Truvia is good (make sure it's not the "baking" version)... I also like Swerve, and I actually like the flavored liquid stevia. I will occasionally use something with Splenda in it, like sugar free coffee syrup or a flavored sparkling water as a treat once in awhile, but I won't buy just straight Splenda...
  • minties82
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't think I will touch splenda after reading about people not enjoying it (here and elsewhere online). Thanks for the advice. I read it and ended up choosing a sugar free hot chocolate drink powder by a company called Avalanche and some cream to add in. It has erythritol and stevia and tastes ok. I added a teeny bit of plain cocoa powder and it tasted better.

I'm so used to not eating sweet foods now so that helps. I could probably just try straight cocoa powder in hot water with a dash of cream :-).

Thanks peeps!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I made a cheesecake with xylitol the other day and found it very pleasant and sweet, much nicer than stevia.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would stick to Stevia if I were you ... I know it can taste a little weird, but.

They recently found that Truvia 99% (erythritol) kills fruit flies, they aren't sure if it's because it's toxic or they just starve to death from so little calories, but the other sweeteners didn't kill them, so that's something to think about.

Sucrolose (splenda) has been reported to cause brain fog and memory loss and serious digestive problems.

We know about the dangers of Aspartame ans saccharin.... so I am just getting used to the taste of Stevia again until they find out why the fruit flies died.. sigh.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I advocate Stevia because it is all natural and I am fine with Sweet Leaf brand for the rare need I have. I have weaned off sweet taste mostly. BUT I would never do artificial sweeteners again! They have nasty side effects, and what I thought was safe (Xylitol) caused me the worst hypoglycemic and craving episode EVER!! I can eat a donut and not feel so bad (and I am gluten intolerant!)if not look at other things (like coconut sugar , honey, etc.)and count them in carbs (coconut sugar is low glycemic).
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Please don't use Splenda...it is not good for you ! We use Sweet leaf stevia and xylitol....in smaller and smaller quantities. I can't get erythritol here without additives like sugar, so avoid that. I find that as our taste buds have changed, we really only need a small amount of sweetener if at all. We simply don't eat foods that taste sweet very often. Some people can have tummy upset with xylitol, so I think that stevia is the best bet for us right now.

Prior to HFLC, our sweeteners were coconut sugar, maple syrup, unpasteurized honey and dates.....but don't want those right now !
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The only Stevia I can use here is a brand called Pure Via Organic Non-GMO Stevia. It is a powder. I have found that every liquid I have tried has a weird taste and gives me headaches. They have a website, and I can get it in Walmart, but I don't know if you can get it outside the US....
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    There are different brands of stevia and they taste different. I use the liquid one from Trader Joe's. I've also heard good things about the Sweet Leaf liquid stevia. Maybe try that?

-T.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I made a cheesecake with xylitol the other day and found it very pleasant and sweet, much nicer than stevia.

I'm a big fan of xylitol and don't get the nastier side effects. It tastes just like sugar. The biggest downside I've dealt with is the crystals don't dissolve in cold liquid. It has to be warm or the crystals have to be pulverized (like in a smoothie or something). It does have a glycemic rating (it's not 100% zero carb, like other sweeteners), but I'm okay with that, because it's still a fraction of regular sugar, and you don't need as much.

I also use Stevia. I get the liquid version and it lasts forever. You only need a couple of drops in most things to get the sweet without much of the aftertaste.

I can't stand the taste of Splenda or the other artificial sweeteners. I'll choose regular sugar over those if I needed sweetener.
  • Teneko
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I also wanted to add:
    The instructions for my liquid stevia say that 4 drops is a serving. When I first started keto, I tried that and it was too sweet. I dropped it to 2 drops for most things...
    And now I am barely using 1 drop, or just leaving it out.
    Many people find that their sugar cravings decrease over time on keto.

-T.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I'm a big fan of xylitol and don't get the nastier side effects. It tastes just like sugar. The biggest downside I've dealt with is the crystals don't dissolve in cold liquid. It has to be warm or the crystals have to be pulverized (like in a smoothie or something). It does have a glycemic rating (it's not 100% zero carb, like other sweeteners), but I'm okay with that, because it's still a fraction of regular sugar, and you don't need as much.

I also use Stevia. I get the liquid version and it lasts forever. You only need a couple of drops in most things to get the sweet without much of the aftertaste.

I can't stand the taste of Splenda or the other artificial sweeteners. I'll choose regular sugar over those if I needed sweetener.

I agree re only a couple of drops of stevia - I accidentally put the spoon that I had used to measure stevia in my mouth: it was not a pleasant experience!
  • minties82
    Options
    I would try some other stevia products but unfortunately with one income and 2 small kids, the budget doesn't allow for it. Alternative sweeteners are extremely expensive compared to sugar. I have some stevia tablets by the people that make equal and they are revolting.

I think I'll forget about sweet stuff for now and go eat some mayonnaise instead. Yuuum.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've made a hot chocolate in the past you may be interested in. Chocolate protein powder, HWC, and hot water. The powder definitely has AS in it. I'm not sure the type as they don't bother me digestive wise or anything. However, there may be a brand out there that uses one that's good for you.
  • Teneko
    Options
    There's an idea.
    The chocolate protein powder I use is sweetened with sucralose. I have it with extra fat and HWC for a drinkable fat bomb sometimes when my protein's low or I don't feel like eating.

-T.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    My grass fed whey protein powder is sweetened with stevia. I put some in my high fat Greek yogourt and a little of this satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What about monk fruit? Anyone know about that?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I remember @DittoDan or someone saying they liked it. I was considering trying it next time I have a few bucks...