What should my macros be? For low carb but NOT in keto.

Options
shed50kg
shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
Hi Guys,

What should my macros be if I do not want to go into Keto state?

I have around 25kg to lose, I have lost 22kg already.

I am 6'3 and currently 123kg if that makes a different for macros.

I am in no great hurry to lose the weight but expect it to take another 1 year to 1.5years to get down to goal weight of mine. Lost first 22kg in 1 year.

Thanks

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Protein -- 1g/lb of lean body mass, or about .6-.8g/lb of total body mass. Kind of depends on your activity level. Should be somewhere in the ballpark of 120g-150g for you, but it's a range, so feel free to play with it a bit.

Carbs -- Whatever level works for you. For low carb short of keto, you're looking at about 50-100g. If you're brand new to low carb, I suggest starting with 100g for a couple of weeks, then re-assess. If you're still fighting hunger and cravings and having issues staying within your calorie allotment, drop your carb level by 10-20g or so. Rinse and repeat until you're losing weight, can keep within your calories without much struggle, and otherwise feel successful.

Fat -- Fill in whatever's left. Yes, this will be high. Probably around or over 150g for you (to compare, I'm 5'9" and female, and my daily fat goal is 130g+).

For more specifics, head over to http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ and put your stats in. That will give you the protein range for your specific stats. I generally pick about the middle, and I don't worry if I'm a little over or a little under.
  • shed50kg
    Options
    Thanks.

I have been on low carb for about 1 year, been successful with it, but never really measured my macros. I think would be eating around 100g carb per day but since I lost 22kg, I have stalled weight loss for around 3 mths so will look to cut back a bit on carbs.

Maybe I should aim for around 80g carbs at first? I am struggling to eat enough fat though and not sure where to get that fat source from.

Thanks
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You appear to be on the right track going by today's log. Here are a few other ideas:

Pair your fruit with cheese or nut butters.
    Cook your omelets (and anything else pan-fried) in butter, bacon grease, or coconut oil.
    Buy 75/25 hamburger or the fattiest you can find.
    Eat chicken legs/thighs with or instead of breasts, or add a fat to them.
    Try Bulletproof Coffee.
  • shed50kg
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    You appear to be on the right track going by today's log. Here are a few other ideas:

Pair your fruit with cheese or nut butters.
    Cook your omelets (and anything else pan-fried) in butter, bacon grease, or coconut oil.
    Buy 75/25 hamburger or the fattiest you can find.
    Eat chicken legs/thighs with or instead of breasts, or add a fat to them.
    Try Bulletproof Coffee.

Thanks, I eat a lot of chicken and also make sure I eat the skin. I like apple and cheese so that will be easy to do, I like bananas too but a bit high in carbs ;-(. I like peanut butter too, but worried I eat too much of the stuff.

BTW, just started my food diary again today, and it looks like I am eating too few a calories so need to add some pork or bacon with my ommelettes.

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on the right track. The key for me was to monitor my own behavior to determine what triggered cravings. Avoid your triggers. Nut butters are fine for me, but if they're too seductive for you, find an alternative.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I love an omlette with some chopped up salami, a generous amount of grated cheese, and topped with blobs of cream cheese. I put it in the oven under the grill for a minute to melt the cream cheese. I find that it is a very filling meal with lots of protein and fat.

Pretty much any low carb food tastes good to me with mayonnaise or cream cheese all over it.

Mix cream cheese with some thai green curry paste and it makes a delicious sauce to slathering all over chicken.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Mayo and Ranch... on everything
    wabmester wrote: »
    Sounds like you're on the right track. The key for me was to monitor my own behavior to determine what triggered cravings. Avoid your triggers. Nut butters are fine for me, but if they're too seductive for you, find an alternative.

I've also blended peanut butter and cream cheese together to use as a spread (or lick off the spoon) to help bring down the carbs and make the peanut butter less seductive... that peanut butter is just so sexy