2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options

Replies

• steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My out of country visitors are now gone. I finished my crazy 110 hours of work last week (photographing a 5 day sailing event). So I FINALLY got out for a bike ride today (first in 3 weeks) - and it happens to be a rest day! :(
    My first goal for this event is to not win the red lantern jersey. After I climb out of 37th place I will see about adding a few miles to get LJ up over that nasty red 'actual' line!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,217 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Apologies to team Pastana...

Sorry guys, some of you may have spotted on Sunday my update that I'd aggravated one of my long-term issues - basically I fell down a couple of stairs whilst rushing to get out for a ride, and I've jarred myself, causing one of the "adhesions" in my chest to tear slightly - which in itself may not be a bad thing in the longer term (if it heals without re-adhering, it'll be a good thing) but in the short term, it basically feels half way between a torn muscle under the clavicle and towards the shoulder and the kind of pain you get if you have pleurisy... In short, it hurts when you move your upper body, especially your arm, AND it hurts if you breath anything other than VERY shallowly.

I went out on Sunday for a much shorter ride than I was intending - just to hopefully stop the adhesion "re-setting" straight away, but by Sunday evening it was still hurting enough to realise that riding on Monday just wasn't on the cards.

I took a day off, and this morning, I'm feeling much improved, and with the Official rest day today, I'm going to do my usual stretches and exercises to try and keep the adhesion from re-forming, with a view to possibly getting back on the bike for stage 11 tomorrow - probably only for a very short "test" ride to see how things feel, before hopefully being able to resume "normal service" by stage 12. I'll keep everyone posted, in case I'm going to be back on the binnacle list...

Get well soon Mark and don't worry about the miles. If you don't have your health, you don't have anything.
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Soooo last night's ride was way shorter than I expected! Made more so by my phone/bike computer deciding to go on the fritz right as I stopped for a pint at the brewery near my house :) So, short ride but followed by a pint = win :)
    GNS3Osfm.jpg
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You boys are killing me... I'm trying to keep up, but damn can y'all either slow down or come off the mountain tops? Just joking around I like having folks to compete against and Jillian usually takes the lead from me the second week. Going to try to stay ahead of her but not sure I can. She is a mountain goat!

Nikki, your ahead of me still!!!
    We're both awesome - I try to keep up with the guys too, but darned if I never am able to -but it's just super fun to have competition -
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Will be away from my computer so no updates. if the calf holds up, I have a century on sunday.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    ***On stage 11, I put in 14 m climbing when it should have been 45 m. Don't know what I was thinking duh! I corrected on todays declaration sheet.

@TheBigYin Just worry about getting better. Even if I am not on your team, I got your back. I am still in healing mode from that serious bike wrecky I had, I still can't ride much over an hour before my back and neck go. So take care of yourself..........
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I rode today for Mark. I don't know anything - does anyone? Prayers and good thoughts your way Mark.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Sorry; no work on Mark on my Facebook or MFP feeds either. I've been concerned as well. I did some googling in his hometown area and did not find any reports of bicycle accidents, so that is good. But, I really wish I lived in the same area so I could check up on him. He's been such a consistent part of the community here...
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    @canbbot and I were talking about that this morning. Hoping everything is well with him. We're both a bit worried...
  • faugsu
    Options
    I just called police for a wellness check, I'll post when/if I get a response.
  • faugsu
    Options
    already received a request for more info - does anyone have anything, even nonMFP email for example?
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Here's what shows up as address using Google: Clifton Road 35, West Yorkshire, Wakefield WF41AS
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    And looking at that on google maps it's reasonably close to his ride starts on Strava.
  • faugsu
    Options
    thanx - we'll see
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    Thank you, faugsu! I am praying here!
  • canbbot
    canbbot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Big yin. We are all thinking about you.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,217 Member
    Options
    @faugsu - Keep us posted on anything you hear.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Has anyone phoned the Police in the area to see if they can go around, or, if he has been admitted to Hospital? Or shall I do it?
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think faugsu has spoken to them but he's over here so might not hurt for a local to check in with them mate. If you could, I think it would be best.
  • faugsu
    Options
    no word, here's hoping for Mark.