Trying to do keto instead of moderate low carb

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I've seen a lot where many people need to be below 20g carbs to be in keto. But other sites say below 50g. I know it's different for everyone so I'm not sure where I need to be. I was wondering if someone could look at my log and tell me if I need to adjust anything.

Thank you for any advice

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Have you seen this yet? http://www.flexibleketogenic.com/ I use it to track whether my overall macros fit into a ketogenic ratio. Might be helpful for you. :-)
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The reason you may see different recommendations for the amount of carbs is that everyone's tolerance for carbs and ketosis is different. 20 or 25g net carbs/day is guaranteed to get you there if you do that consistently. So its a good starting recommendation. Once keto adapted, and once you're comfortable with what you're doing, then you can experiment with increasing that slowly up towards 50g carbs if you want to see how your body reacts. Most people will probably stay in ketosis at 50g carbs, some even higher. But for many of us who have issues with blood sugar or insulin resistance cravings become a serious problem even with small increases in carbs, so that 20 or 25g recommendation gives you the best chance at early success while you figure things out.

I looked at your diary, it looks like you started aiming for keto on monday? Looks good. Did you use a macro calculator to decide how much to eat? Make sure you're eating enough, there's no reason to go hungry on keto! http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ is my favorite one.

How are your cravings for carbs? If you're feeling good and not struggling to eat the way you are right now, you're set. If you're finding yourself struggling I'd say to replace the cuties/halo oranges with something else that has less sugar.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thanks so much. I have used that calculator to get a rough idea. I'm actually not hungry at all which is why I've been low on calories, I've had to make myself eat extra just to get to an ok number. No cravings at all. So I think I'm good then, I will keep on the way I'm going and see how it goes, and adjust as needed.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Your carb numbers look fine. Your protein numbers are bad ... half the days in your log i looked at, you were well below your target. In order to help maintain muscle mass while losing weight, you want to hit that goal every day.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Yes I'm really struggling with the protein, I haven't been very hungry this week so I'm having lots of trouble with that.
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I find myself not hungry at all either so I know what you mean. The calculator says I should be consuming close to 1700 calories but most days at 1000 calories im full... my macros are good, but I eat such few calories sometimes it weirds me out. Im not avoiding eating, in fact... id be fine eating 3000 calories to be full as long as my macros were on point, but.... im just not hungry. Its hard to get past that. I took a look at your diary and it looks like youre doing a good job. If I could suggest anything it would be make sure to eat fat with protein. Turkey and chicken are lower fat proteins, adding bacon or an avacado will help. Eating more eggs will also be an easy way to add protein and fat without carbs. :-) I know its a lil confusing with the different carb counts.... ive even had people tell me they were keto at 100 carbs a day which is almost more than I eat in two weeks!! (I average around ten carbs a day) staying at 20 whole carbs (NOT net carbs!) Is safe. Once you see results you can go up five and see what happens, or.... if youre like me, I got a ketone/glucosw blood meter and saw what my tolerance was.... either way, you have a great start and I know youll do well! :-)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Really not feeling well today. I'm certain I'm in keto, I have a nasty taste in my mouth and have been drinking tons of water. My head feels like it's ripping apart and the brain fog is making work difficult. I hope this ends soon :(
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice on protein I've been trying to get that number up and doing better I think. Also trying to get fat with my proteins. My appetite is getting a little better. I love my avocado but I think it fills me up too much and then I don't feel like eating more. So I'm holding back on that for a little bit.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice on protein I've been trying to get that number up and doing better I think. Also trying to get fat with my proteins. My appetite is getting a little better. I love my avocado but I think it fills me up too much and then I don't feel like eating more. So I'm holding back on that for a little bit.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Actually, right now while you are in keto hell is when you need that avocado. The hell is induced from unbalanced electrolytes. Don't worry about how much you are eating while you adjust. Up your sodium, potassium, and magnesium. It will help the headaches and adjustments...
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    So yesterday and today I fell brain fog again. Yesterday I had an awful tension headache as well and can still feel the remnants of it today. I really thought I was passed that as I went through keto flu which was much worse but then felt good, now it seems to be coming back in a mild form. Could I have gotten out of keto then back in and so I'm suffering again, even though I've kept my net carbs under 40g a day? I've been sleeping well but did get a cramp in my calve last night, it went away fairly quickly with stretching but that's the first time it's happened. So I'm guessing electrolytes, magnesium? could that also be causing brain fog? I don't have the extreme keto breath that I did in the beginning either, could this just be another part of adaptation?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yes, magnesium and potassium are implicated in cramps. Keto breath fades away once you're adapted. Best to check the ketone blood levels if you're concerned.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    So yesterday and today I fell brain fog again. Yesterday I had an awful tension headache as well and can still feel the remnants of it today. I really thought I was passed that as I went through keto flu which was much worse but then felt good, now it seems to be coming back in a mild form. Could I have gotten out of keto then back in and so I'm suffering again, even though I've kept my net carbs under 40g a day? I've been sleeping well but did get a cramp in my calve last night, it went away fairly quickly with stretching but that's the first time it's happened. So I'm guessing electrolytes, magnesium? could that also be causing brain fog? I don't have the extreme keto breath that I did in the beginning either, could this just be another part of adaptation?

Keto Adaption comes in phases. I saw a chart once but don't remember where and didn't think to save it:

Day 2 - Hell
    Day 7 - Hell
    Day 14 or 21 depending on how fast you adapt - Hell

Then about every 2 to 3 weeks for a few months, as you body adapts further and becomes more efficient, you might have some hell hiccups. So listen to your body. If it is acting like Keto Flu even when it doesn't make sense, your body could be making some major adaption changes, so treat it like the flu. If that doesn't help, it may be something else, you might be sick for real, or your body could just randomly be torturing you...

There are expectations with this way of eating and adapting, but there are not guarantees. Strongest thing I have learned from eating this way? "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!"
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I must be in the 2 to 3 weeks after hell. Got some supplements I hope it helps. It's so beautiful out I want to do some yard work but I feel like I'm gonna faint :(
  • cabb360
    cabb360 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    salt is your friend on keto
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I got a 99 mg potassium and 500 mg magnesium, but last night my leg almost cramped again, should I take more that one a day? or does it take time to build up in my system.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I got a 99 mg potassium and 500 mg magnesium, but last night my leg almost cramped again, should I take more that one a day? or does it take time to build up in my system.

I hope you got magnesium citrate. At 135 mg mine works wonders. Sometimes I take two. the 500 mg magnesium oxide didn't work half as well and just gave me dangerously loose bowels. But yes, I would think that as long as you aren't crapping yourself (sorry, couldn't think of another way to say that) that you could take it once in the day and once at night...
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Oh I didn't I just got magnesium, there were so many choices and one website just said magnesium 400 so I got the 500 one thinking it would be better. Haven't noticed any problems so far. What about the potassium, I know you said that high potassium causes problems too so I should probably just stick with 1 of those for 99 mg
  • HannaSusi
    HannaSusi Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? That's really important too... Drink a LOT of water. Lots of salt and lots of water :) Otherwise your diary looks alright. It will get easier :)