Gaining fat or muscle

Options
Sammydc135
Sammydc135 Posts: 13 Member
I have recently been putting on a bit of weight, my eating has stayed pretty much the same but ive had to adjust my cardio as i went over on my ankle and cannot run for the time being. I have still be working on my strength still and going foe heavier weights but some weeks its been a pound a week gain and i dont know if that is an unrealistic amount of muscle to gain in a week.

I would look at measurements but as i didnt take any before it seems difficult to judge that way

Replies

• mdl2001
    mdl2001 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A pound of muscle a week is possible, but not realistic. A good way to judge if your gaining fat is if your starting to get more pudgy around the middle. If your just gaining muscle, then you wouldn't be getting bigger in the middle, you would gain size in your arms, legs, etc.

Although they say cardio isn't as important to build muscle, I find that it still helps with losing weight. Running burns a lot of calories and if your body is use to burning a lot of calories that way, you may be holding onto your calories longer. In the end it's comes down to calories in vs calories out.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have also wondered how a person can really tell if they have gained muscle or fat. Of course if you gain a lot, it will be obvious that it is fat!