New to the Group

Options
sterlingwolf
sterlingwolf Posts: 53 Member
Hi, I'm Nancy. I've been on my weight loss journey for just over a year now and I've lost 51 lbs so far. Toward the end of last year I started learning about clean eating and GMO foods. I have cut several foods out of my families diet but by no means do I know enough about this lifestyle! I would like to learn more so I can incorporate it into my lifestyle. We're also working on going wheat and grain free since I read "Wheat Belly" by Dr. Davis. It was a serious eye opener about what we've been blindly stuffing into not only ourselves, but our children as well. I have T2 diabetes that has caused some serious complications, mainly nerve damage in both legs from the knees down. I now have to wear special braces to keep my ankles from curving inwards any more and so I can walk like a normal 40 something adult. I also have fibromyalgia. I still do a lot in spite of the pain, sometimes I make it worse but I'm too stubborn to lay down and let any of this stuff win. I'm hoping to find some like minded people who want to eat clean, get healthy, lose some weight along the way and enjoy life. Thanks for reading this, add me as a friend if you'd like.

Replies

• molaufy
    molaufy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are making such a wise choice in not only tracking the quantity, but more importantly, the quality of your food. I am so impressed with all of your active learning on this subject! Another movie you may really feel is eye opening is the movie Fed Up.

I follow the anti-candida diet, which basically cuts out foods that encourage inflammation and gut problems, and it has done WONDERS for me. I stand in support of your positive changes and am so glad to hear your story :-)
  • jahmanrv
    jahmanrv Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! For the most part I have cut wheat out of my diet. Every now and then, I'll crave a sandwich such as tuna melt, and will have wheat bread, but mostly not. I'm by no means a strict clean eater. I don't buy all organic such as grass fed meats, but I do buy fresh and cook every day. A lot of my ailments are gone now since eating right. I'm off of cholesterol medication as I reduced my numbers drastically since eating healthier. I'm sure you and your family will definitely merit from your continued eating ways now. Impressed with all you do with the pain you must be in. Good for you!!!!!
  • j3susfr34k83
    j3susfr34k83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    im new as well and would love to know some of the healthier snacks and meals that are low calorie if you have any you wish to share!
  • sterlingwolf
    sterlingwolf Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    molaufy wrote: »
    Another movie you may really feel is eye opening is the movie Fed Up

My husband and I watched the documentary last night, a lot of the information we knew but to have it reinforced was extremely helpful! There was also a lot of information that was new and mind blowing. The food industry seems to have far too much power and influence over our government, I mean come on, they even bought off the first lady! The children they featured just broke my heart and made me think abut my friends little girl who's 11 and weighs 144 lbs. Mom's idea to "help" is to cut back her food. I know all the junk they keep in house for the kid and it's all sugar, sugar, sugar! Whenever I approach the subject I get shut down rather harshly so I've pretty much stopped and I don't go over there often. I love the comment made in the program, "junk is still junk even if you make it less junky".

Oh look, a McD add on the page as I write this for the $1 large drinks. $1 large cups of poison?
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I started eating clean (very seriously) in January, even though we've dabbled in the idea for several years. We love the quality of food we consume now. No more processed junk.

Feel free to add me. Some days are better than others, but we eat mostly home cooked foods and log daily.

Yesterday I bought a flat of locally grown strawberries at our Farmer's market and made Strawberry syrup and Strawberry preserves with chia seeds as a thickener. Both recipes were on Pinterest. See my Instagram link below if you're interested. I post a lot of photos of clean foods and recipe ideas.

Regards, Robin

• cynhkr1300
    cynhkr1300 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The food industry seems to have far too much power and influence over our government . . .
    Oh look, a McD add on the page as I write this for the $1 large drinks. $1 large cups of poison?

Hi Nancy,
    Yeah, I got annoyed at the banners for Mickey D's the other day, too!
    Next time you're in the mood for a movie, I also recommend Food Inc. My heart absolutely broke for the animals in that one. I've been buying grassfed for dairy and for beef - the meat is expensive but since I eat less of it these days, and am buying less food in restaurants, it's OK. Grassfed beef and dairy has almost as much Omega 3's as salmon!

I'm sad to hear of your T2DM complications and fibromyalgia. Avoiding T2DM is one of my big inspirations for starting to eat clean, as of January this year. "Sugar - the Bitter Truth" on youtube clued me in, and since then I've found so much info about food that I never knew was out there! Hard to take it all in. "Sugar - the Bitter Truth" is found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM