Mfp friends list

Options
BBee5064
BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
i felt quite bad today.. I took a serious look at mfp list of friends & deleted quite a few.. I couldn't in all honesty keep up with the amount I had.. I had to bring it down to a more manageable level.
It's nothing personal.. If I deleted any of you guys..

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Hi Bee,
    You need to make sure MFP works for you. I have trimmed my list a few times too. We all need to be a little selfish on here. If something isn't quite working it's important that we fix it so it does.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Thanks Bill, you have reassured me that I've done the right thing
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    I will purge the friends list on a regular basis. I will add most anyone if they send a message, but if they are dormant or not supportive after a couple of weeks, they are gone. I am happy to help anyone, but if they aren't at least trying or being somewhat supportive, then no-go. I keep my list relatively short, will never have 100's of friends. You have to do what is right for you.
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've taken a leaf out of your books and had a good look at my friends list. I've deleted those who havent logged in for quite some time (except for 2 old friends who I know were committed once as I dont want them to come back and feel worse).

Anyone in this group who would like another friend please add me. I've had my automatic news feed settings muted but I changed them just now to list my exercise and daily logging onto the news feed.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    I will purge the friends list on a regular basis. I will add most anyone if they send a message, but if they are dormant or not supportive after a couple of weeks, they are gone. I am happy to help anyone, but if they aren't at least trying or being somewhat supportive, then no-go. I keep my list relatively short, will never have 100's of friends. You have to do what is right for you.

That's great advise.. I need friends that at least make an effort.. It was taken me ages to go through the list & make comments.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Okay, kinda stupid question I was afraid to post in the "regular" (i.e. nasty) forums; how do you monitor your friends and your "news feed" on here?
  • BRaye325
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There are no stupid questions.
    Take a look at your 'Home' page. Your daily activity auto posts here. You can also write anything you want to post for just your friends to see. You can also view their profile, photos, friends list, and even their diary if their 'Privacy Settings' allow it.
    I hope I answered your question.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Word of advice, stay off the forums, too many nasty people. Lot of smart and nice people here.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Word of advice, stay off the forums, too many nasty people. Lot of smart and nice people here.

Great advise :)
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I too am having a hard figuring out the friends/comments thing. I get a notice in my email, click on the link and half the time, there's nothing new there! So, for anyone who has made a comment and got no answer, that's why! I try to acknowledge anyone who contacts me but sometimes it just seems to fly off into la la land I think!
    Also totally agree about staying off the main board! I can see where some people really just like to argue for argument's sake. Not that some people don't know their stuff, there are those who do, but boy it's hard to find them swimming through all the fighting! Usually over semantics no less.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    I think the main forums have their purpose, but any advice given there needs to be double and tripled checked. Many talk like they are the expert but are way off base and some are so passionate about what has worked for them, they are convinced its the right thing for everyone.

The general population on MFP has a huge amount of diversity, from morbidly obese with the accompanying variety of health issues to the severally anorexic, and personality types from Type A to Type Z. I'm always cautious when giving out any recommendation to qualify that this is what is working for me and everyone should make sure to do their homework before deciding their own direction.

Some of the aggressive and rude comments can also be discouraging and demotivating which is the exact opposite of the reason this app was created in the first place. I refuse to get into an argument with anyone as it will just show me in a negative light and not be helpful to those that are there to learn.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the main forums (minus the person above/below you chit chatty stuff). Sometimes what some people call rude, is the truth they don't want to hear, and sometimes it's just rude, snarky comments made by rude, snarky people, who I just ignore. I like hearing different sides to a topic and then doing my own research and coming to my own conclusion. Unfortunately, the "shirtless mafia" over there do have a tendency to present their differing view points too harshly.
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like that! " The shirtless mafia"! I admit to liking to read the forums quite a bit, I just have no desire to add my two cents to any of the discussions! It would probably take me all day with a dictionary and a grammar book to figure how to say something without it being misconstrued and argued over. I don't have the time for that. I think once you read enough comments, it's not that hard to figure out who knows at least some of what they're talking about and who doesn't. And I don't disagree that when people come up with misinformation, it needs to be corrected or that people do need to try to apply their critical thinking skills to what they do believe and be able to cite valid documentation for it. OK I admit it, when I'm bored (at work!) I like to sit back and watch the fur fly wishing I could have my bowl of popcorn at my desk!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I like that! " The shirtless mafia"! I admit to liking to read the forums quite a bit, I just have no desire to add my two cents to any of the discussions! It would probably take me all day with a dictionary and a grammar book to figure how to say something without it being misconstrued and argued over. I don't have the time for that. I think once you read enough comments, it's not that hard to figure out who knows at least some of what they're talking about and who doesn't. And I don't disagree that when people come up with misinformation, it needs to be corrected or that people do need to try to apply their critical thinking skills to what they do believe and be able to cite valid documentation for it. OK I admit it, when I'm bored (at work!) I like to sit back and watch the fur fly wishing I could have my bowl of popcorn at my desk!

I do the same! I rarely interject in those ping-pongy discussions, but sometimes they are interesting to follow. Sometimes I even find a post that teaches me a thing or two. I ran across one last year where someone was talking about sprouting her own sprouts in a jar. I love sprouts and it never occurred to me to do that. So simple to do, and I've been sprouting a blend of broccoli, radish, clover and alfalfa seeds once or twice a week ever since.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I delete friends almost every day. I don't care why you're not here, whatever the reason is, you're not supporting me so why do I need a dumb list of hundreds of names? You have a week and you're gone.
  • marekdds
    Options
    I like how you think!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    I enjoy the main forums (minus the person above/below you chit chatty stuff). Sometimes what some people call rude, is the truth they don't want to hear, and sometimes it's just rude, snarky comments made by rude, snarky people, who I just ignore. I like hearing different sides to a topic and then doing my own research and coming to my own conclusion. Unfortunately, the "shirtless mafia" over there do have a tendency to present their differing view points too harshly.

I like the main forums most of the time, too. I would not ask a question over there, but I have to chuckle sometimes at the comments. I do think that some people get overly offended when they receive truthful comments that are maybe blunt and to the point. If you don't want to get varying responses, don't ask the question!
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Slashnl wrote: »
    mygnsac wrote: »

I like the main forums most of the time, too. I would not ask a question over there, but I have to chuckle sometimes at the comments. I do think that some people get overly offended when they receive truthful comments that are maybe blunt and to the point. If you don't want to get varying responses, don't ask the question!

I like the main forums, sometimes it's pretty funny. I want to learn about body building, cutting, bulking, recomp, protein and carb intake. I'm going to try and build some muscle, I did it years ago and did okay, but never learned the scientific approach. Just tried to lift more and more weight back then.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Did some "house cleaning today". Found some that support others, but not me, so I deleted them, a few others that just aren't around much. Been very hectic lately and I just don't have the time to babysit people that aren't committed or who don't support me. I know that sounds terrible but I need to keep a friends list where I at least know something about them and what is happening in their life. I personally just can't do a massive list, (and massive for me is over 60, prefer less.)
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Did some "house cleaning today". Found some that support others, but not me, so I deleted them, a few others that just aren't around much. Been very hectic lately and I just don't have the time to babysit people that aren't committed or who don't support me. I know that sounds terrible but I need to keep a friends list where I at least know something about them and what is happening in their life. I personally just can't do a massive list, (and massive for me is over 60, prefer less.)

Yea, mine crept up again too, was at 74 so I just did the same yesterday. I do have friends that provide different things, but if someone isn't active daily or at least several times a week, it's 'bye-bye'. If they were active and things changed, I'll send them a message first and see how they respond.