I wrote a fantasy novel! Come check it out!

Options
nossmf
nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
www.dragon-born.com

I've been a lover of fantasy literature for over 30 years, decided to try my hand at writing a novel. Took me a year and a half to write and edit, a couple months to get hooked up with self-publishing, but it's now ready for the public to check it out.

This story is about a human girl named Seeliyah who discovers she's descended from dragons. Because of her mixed blood she is asked to travel to Draco Keep, home of the dragon nation, and help prevent a war between dragons and the rest of the world.

My favorite authors are Terry Brooks and RA Salvatore, and my writing style is similar. My work is available in paperback and kindle formats. Take a look, give a holler!

Replies

• RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I'll have to check it out. :)
  • nossmf
    Options
    Just finished the first draft of my second novel. I'm going to work on getting it published traditionally, rather than self-published like my first one. Wish me luck!
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Its always nice to see people pursuing their talents :) I love this concept too, ill have to give it a try.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Thanks for your interest! Unfortunately, dragon-born.com no longer exists, I had to take down the site due to lack of funds. But you can still find my novel on amazon.com in both paperback and Kindle versions. Just make sure to search by author (Mike Noss) as well as title, since apparently other books have the same title. I always thought the title was copyright-protected, guess not.
  • nossmf
    Options
    I'm finally close to finishing edits on the sequel to my first book. Anybody interested in being a beta reader, reading for free and giving me inputs before I submit to a publisher?
  • nossmf
    Options
    ...wow, I posted summer of 2016 that the first draft was complete, and it took almost five years to get through the edits. I knew I took a while away from this project, but I didn't realize THAT much time had elapsed!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Thanks for your interest! Unfortunately, dragon-born.com no longer exists, I had to take down the site due to lack of funds. But you can still find my novel on amazon.com in both paperback and Kindle versions. Just make sure to search by author (Mike Noss) as well as title, since apparently other books have the same title. I always thought the title was copyright-protected, guess not.

I found it in the Kindle Unlimited collection, so I have added it to my mile long KU wishlist on Amazon. I couldn't find it under Mike Noss, but used Google and found it under Michael Noss (should have figured).

One of my favorite authors is Terry Brooks, he got me hooked on reading long ago, and I have collected everything he has written, most in first edition hardcovers (except for those really expensive and rare limited runs of the earliest books). I have a framed mini-map of The Four Lands in my library room. It was a shame that the show on MTV was so awful. But it is nice to meet a fellow fan.
  • nossmf
    Options
    I watched the first season in a single afternoon after learning about it and that Terry Brooks himself was an associate producer or some such, and was quite deflated by the product. I've heard they were planning a second season, and shame on me but I have zero interest in learning if it actually got made or not, let alone actually watch. Guess it's one of those cases where you have a vision reading how the world is, and it clashes with somebody screen interpretation of it. Same for Eragon.

Ender's Game I enjoyed, but mostly because of the actors involved. The only books I've truly loved the screen version were the LotR trilogy. (I also enjoyed the Hobbit trilogy, but it felt forced so only gets a grade "B" from me compared to the LotR A++.)

Still kicking myself for this, but a couple years back I had a chance to go to the Denver Comic Con with some friends. Work called asking for volunteers to pull a weekend shift, I figured I could use the money, so opted for work instead of the convention. Found out after that Terry Brooks made a surprise appearance, signing books and taking photo ops. I could have given him a signed copy of my book, gotten him to sign my copy of one of his, etc, but I blew it. It's taken a long time to learn to forgive myself for this! lol

(Incidentally, I also found out later my buddy's plans included paying extra for a personal meet-and-greet with Stan Lee for him and his girlfriend. As time ran out, he was told he had time for one more question. My buddy looked at Stan Lee and said, "this question isn't for you." He then knelt on one knee and proposed. He's got a video of the session, including at the end Stan Lee lifting both hands and cheering as the two newly-betrothed kissed. So jealous...)
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    :smiley: That's just like when I turned down the Pink Floyd concert ticket back in the day! <kicking myself ever since>

I missed Terry at an bookstore event in Lansing, MI which is kind of nearby a few years back. I found out about the event 2 hours before it was to happen, it would have taken those hours to drive there, and I have no idea how it was organized or if tickets were required or anything. That was my one shot to see him, now he doesn't tour much outside of the Pacific Northwest.

Season 2 of The Shannara Chronicles was just as bad as season 1. They cancelled it on MTV and moved it to Spike, but I watched it online, I think Netflix? There was a scene with working electricity and a scene with a functioning gun, which totally violated the timeline of the author's story. Then it ended on a cliffhanger.