Has anyone.....

Options
ybell300
ybell300 Posts: 32 Member
Has anyone lost their weight by solely doing LC? This is the only diet you have done. I have a few people tell me I need to start with counting calories to lose a little weigth before I go full blown LC.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yes. LC's been my only diet. It helps to watch calories, but the beauty of LC is that you tend to be less hungry and your calorie intake falls naturally.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've lost 87lb doing LC and only LC.
    I have a few people tell me I need to start with counting calories to lose a little weigth before I go full blown LC.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but that advice is totally baloney.
  • baconslave
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Yes. LC's been my only diet. It helps to watch calories, but the beauty of LC is that you tend to be less hungry and your calorie intake falls naturally.

Exactly. It's all about calories, calorie counting on its on or calorie counting by way of LC. LC is just a different way of doing things that often helps people who have trouble calorie counting on its own. It can cut cravings and decreases overactive appetites in those sensitive to carbs. Which means a decrease in portions, which means calories decrease.
  • ybell300
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I've lost 87lb doing LC and only LC.

Wow! 87 pounds that awesome.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but that advice is totally baloney.

I figured it was but I'm not an expert yet and I really wanted to know what others thought.
  • ybell300
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Yes. LC's been my only diet. It helps to watch calories, but the beauty of LC is that you tend to be less hungry and your calorie intake falls naturally.[/quo

Thank You for responding!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    LC is the only diet I've ever been on. I've done exercising without dieting and lost weight but kept eating regular meals, I stopped exercising and gained everything back.
    Now, I decided to give LC a go for weight loss only, but I've discovered so many positives about this woe I don't even want to go back to SAD again. I now enjoy my workouts because of all the energy I have, but before I started workouts I was LC for a month and lost weight. I've read somewhere that LC is great for sedentary people :)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Every other diet I've tried has resulted in weight gains. When I stick to the LCHF (HF being as important as the LC for me), I get results I can see, with a way of eating that I can maintain.
  • ybell300
    Options
    Thanks you all! I am finally going to give this WOE a try. I'm still nervous but what I am doing now is not helping at all.
  • baconslave
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    LC is the only diet I've ever been on. I've done exercising without dieting and lost weight but kept eating regular meals, I stopped exercising and gained everything back.
    Now, I decided to give LC a go for weight loss only, but I've discovered so many positives about this woe I don't even want to go back to SAD again. I now enjoy my workouts because of all the energy I have, but before I started workouts I was LC for a month and lost weight. I've read somewhere that LC is great for sedentary people :)

Right. :+1: Exercise is NOT necessary to lose weight on LC. It's good for health and physical fitness, but it doesn't really help much with the weight loss.
    ybell300 wrote: »
    Thanks you all! I am finally going to give this WOE a try. I'm still nervous but what I am doing now is not helping at all.

Good luck. We're here for any questions you have. :smile: This WOE is what you make of it.
    Consistency + Time = Success
  • ybell300
    edited April 2015
    Options
    THANK YOU! I've failed so many times before so I am determined to keep going this time.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    ybell300 wrote: »
    THANK YOU! I've failed so many times before so I am determined to keep going this time.

You can do it!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It is a whole new way of thinking about food, but in a few weeks you won't even miss carbs! Your lean meats will turn into the cheaper (great benefit) higher fat options. You'll love heavy cream and butter too! Make sure to get your sodium too. Lack of salt can cause muscle cramps and weakness. It's not hard, just different and really easy I am finding! Hang in there. The craving for carbs can be tough at first, but they will pass!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    It is a whole new way of thinking about food, but in a few weeks you won't even miss carbs! Your lean meats will turn into the cheaper (great benefit) higher fat options. You'll love heavy cream and butter too! Make sure to get your sodium too. Lack of salt can cause muscle cramps and weakness. It's not hard, just different and really easy I am finding! Hang in there. The craving for carbs can be tough at first, but they will pass!

You know, this part always cracks me up. I keep hearing that the fattier cuts of meat are cheaper, but around here, they are not, with the very limited exception of ground beef, and even then only sometimes. Any kind of beef is usally $5-$10/pounds. Mostly in the $6-$7 range. And that is just not not affordable for me.

Pork roast is about the only thing under $2/pound, and even then, this is very lean cuts - and my guy always wants it breaded and fried. Roasting some is rare, or he wants to braise it in brown sugar laden liquids... SIGH

Chicken is usually $3/pound plus. Thighs cost far more than breasts - usually $1-$2 more per pound... Turkey is outrageous and almost always seasonal.

I'm wondering if they just dump all the cheaper cuts into the ground cuts, because I almost never see anything marbleized or with fatty edges.... Can someone give me some names of cuts to seek out?
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My family want sauced up, marinated and flavored with carbs meat, I finally figure out that if I cut chunk of it for myself I'll just do it my way and the rest they can load the way they want it. Works just fine lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I have always known prices are regional for groceries but I never dreamed that big of a difference. Prices have increased here too (south Mississippi). Ground beef vs the lean is about a two dollar savings, buying market style ground sausage for $3 instead of $5 for name brand. I also did that with bacon this week. Bought a package of four chicken leg quarters for $4. I like Boston butt pork roasts instead of tenderloin now, get more for the money. Our local, family owned grocery store, buys their meat locally. I guess we are very fortunate to live close to farms.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I can get 75/25 ground beef in the tube for $28.00, but everything else is in the ballpark of $4-$7 per pound depending on store/sales/grade... Now 93% lean is at least $1 more per pound that 73% or what have you...but you really have to buy the huge packages to make a difference.

I don't buy a lot of sausage, but those prices are close to what I would pay here. Bacon, I either buy the ones that are the ends/irregular pieces or I watch the sales. I don't have the luxury of looking for nitrite free stuff at this point unless I want to pay $8/pounds or some ridiculousness.

The Pork Roasts can be decent, but again, you have to but the 12 pound packaged to get the good price. :( They are about the same per pound, though honestly, usually the roasts are about $2/pound more on average.

This is the local store, but the local products, if any, are generally 2-10 times the prices listed above. I am looking forward to May 1 when the Farmer's Market opens back up so I can make my own local connections.