Gluten and dairy free......not by choice

Options
lace323
lace323 Posts: 4 Member
We are a family of allergies. Myself and my 2 younger ones are gluten and dairy free. My older one is gluten free and my husband can eat whatever he wants.

We are tired of the salad dressings we can eat. Anyone have a good gluten and dairy free salad dressing recipe or where to buy? We do a lot of vingarettes but miss the creamy dressings like ranch or Caesar. Thanks for any information or insight.

P. S. We have been g/df since 2012. We have the lifestyle down it's the lack of options sometimes that gets in the way. Not that we are complaining because we have seen the market expand over the yrs.

Replies

• gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DF Ranch Dressing
    1/2 cup mayo (see below or buy vegenaise or use a DF yogurt)
    1/2 cup DF milk (we use cashew milk)
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp dill
    Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Whisk all ingredients together to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Mayo recipe

1 egg, room temperature
    2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1 cup light olive oil*
    Place the egg and ACV in a blender, let it sit until room temperature, approx. one hour. Add the salt and mustard. Blend ingredients. While blending, very slowly pour in the olive oil. Blend until it reaches desired consistency. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
    *It’s important to use a light olive oil, not full flavor, for mayonnaise. You could also use almond, avocado oil, grapeseed oil or any lighter oil.

• gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Caesar Salad Dressing:
    6 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons mayo (use the above mayo recipe or your choice of DF mayo like vegenaise)
    1/2 cup olive oil (light Oo works best, or any of the lighter oils listed as alternatives in the mayo recipe)
    Lemon juice, for seasoning
    Minced anchovy fillets (this is what gives Caesar Salad it's traditional flavor)

Combine the garlic, mustard, vinegar and two pinches of salt in a blender and mix thoroughly. Add the mayo and blend to form a thick base. In a slow stream add the olive oil through the hole in lid.....scrape the dressing with spatula into a bowl and season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir in anchovies to get the distinct Caesar taste. Enjoy!

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Creamy dressing base: 1C Veganaise, 1/2 C vegan sour cream, 1/2 C milk alternative (I prefer to make it with cashew milk).

From there you just add whatever seasonings you like, or just pull the seasoning amounts from regular dressing recipes.

Ex. Ranch = parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt, pepper

Caesar = pressed garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, vegan parmesan, salt, pepper

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    If you like Caesar-type dressings, you might like this: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/51555264490/tonnato-sauce