Sam's club

Options
2»

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My family had costco and sams for awhile, we dropped sams because they lacked selection.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    All this talk about Sam's Club and a Groupon arrived in my inbox. $45 for a year of Sam's Plus membership (normally about $99 I think). Plus they give you a $20 gift card, a roasted chicken, and some other goodies. Cool! I bought one. Made my way to Sam's to sign up. Apparently they started selling the Groupon's yesterday, but you can't start redeeming them until Friday. Fine print fail! I was a bit crestfallen having wasted time, but I got to poke around. My initial impression is that they have some great stuff by way of meats/cheeses/coconut oil, but the selection is not so great. Overall, it's a heck of deal. I'll have to go back Friday and get my card.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    All this talk about Sam's Club and a Groupon arrived in my inbox. $45 for a year of Sam's Plus membership (normally about $99 I think). Plus they give you a $20 gift card, a roasted chicken, and some other goodies. Cool! I bought one. Made my way to Sam's to sign up. Apparently they started selling the Groupon's yesterday, but you can't start redeeming them until Friday. Fine print fail! I was a bit crestfallen having wasted time, but I got to poke around. My initial impression is that they have some great stuff by way of meats/cheeses/coconut oil, but the selection is not so great. Overall, it's a heck of deal. I'll have to go back Friday and get my card.

LOL that groupon email is exactly why I posted this.
  • monicapavlick
    monicapavlick Posts: 18 Member
    Options

As far as I can tell it's always $45 where I live.
    Seems right to me it was $35 when I quit going there.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    I have a BJ's membership and have used it extensively over the last year to buy the following:

Bacon (3 pounds at BJ's cost the same as 2 pounds at wal mart pretty consistently).
    Ground Beef
    Pork Chops
    Chicken Thighs
    Fish Occasionally
    Roasts occasionally
    Eggs
    Almond Milk
    Heavy Cream
    Cream Cheese
    Shredded Cheese
    Sliced Cheese
    Deli Meat
    Salsa
    Coconut Oil
    Butter
    Nuts
    Powerade Zero by the case
    Paper Towels
    Napkins
    Toilet Paper

I don't have the amounts on the other things besides bacon, but every single one of these items is very consistently cheaper at BJ's per pound/unit/whatever than I could get anywhere else.

With the meats, I prefer to cook in bulk for most things, I don't like cooking in general, but I like leftovers.

We shop at BJ's too for all the items above except the powerade. Now that me and my hubby both are LCHF, it saves us money and smaller trips to the grocery stores and or local butcher are all we need. We also buy tons of fresh veggies and Atkins shakes by the case there because hubby uses them in his iced coffee.

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options

The "Sam's Savings" regular membership is only $45. The business version is also $45. However, Sam's Plus is normally $100.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

The "Sam's Savings" regular membership is only $45. The business version is also $45. However, Sam's Plus is normally $100.

How does theirs work? At costco, it is $99 for a premium membership but they give you 2% back on all purchases except gas. At the end of your membership year, they give you back your money if your 2% wasnt more than the $50 more it cost for the premium membership over the regular membership, so you dont lose any money going premium.
  • monicapavlick
    monicapavlick Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

How does theirs work? At costco, it is $99 for a premium membership but they give you 2% back on all purchases except gas. At the end of your membership year, they give you back your money if your 2% wasnt more than the $50 more it cost for the premium membership over the regular membership, so you dont lose any money going premium.

A) I was never even offered the premium membership at Sam's
    B ) Now I really want a Costco in my neighborhood
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So I made a BJ's run tonight and noted some prices:

Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter (no sugar added) - 2 jars for $8.29
    Coconut Oil - $11.99, I can't remember how much, but I'm sure at Wal Mart the same thing is $14
    1 pound deli hard salami - $5.99
    1 pound Finlandia Swiss Cheese - 5.99
    3 pounds shredded sharp cheddar - $9.99
    6 pounds bacon - $15
    85/15 Ground Beef - 3.89/lb, got about 5 pounds
    Boneless center cut pork chops - $2.89/lb, got about 5 pounds
    Perdue Chicken Thighs w/ skin, $0.99/lb, comes in 10-12 pound packages
    3 dozen eggs - $4.99 (i usually buy 6 dozen at a time, we had some from a store nearby though)

I also get 50 pounds of IAMS dog food for my sister, that's $44 which they tell me is a spectacular price.

I'm in North Carolina in the US, for reference.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I signed up for their free 60 day membership, I'm gonna check it out this weekend.
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I shop at Sam's for chicken breast. $1.99/lb vs $3.99 at the grocery store. Ground beef is always cheaper too. And I always grab a box of baby spinach. It seems to stay fresh longer than the grocery store.