Question Regarding Hypothyroidism

Options
wlaura88
wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
So, I have a question. About 2 years ago, I was feeling tired and had gained weight pretty quickly and my doctor diagnosed me as borderline hypothyroid. He put me on 25mcg levothyroxine. I didn't lose or gain after starting it and didn't feel a whole lot different afterward. About a year later, I graduated and lost my health insurance for a while. When my prescription ran out, I stopped taking it because it was too expensive to start taking it again. I decided to go back to the doctor to get re-tested once I got insurance again a few months ago. Before that, I had lost about 20 lbs (35 lbs now, but this was a few months ago). Well, when they tested my levels they came back normal, so they did not put me back on meds. The only problem I still had was that my Vitamin D was low and my B12 was borderline so I take a supplement now. Is it possible my thyroid has "fixed" itself from the weight loss, healthier diet, and cleaner eating or is my thyroid somehow still messed up? Has anyone here experienced something like this? Any advice or insight would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've lost weight, my thyroid levels have needed to be adjusted. The important thing MAY be to not think of yourself as fixed forever and continue to have your levels monitored. Of course, I'm not a doctor. I'm speaking from experience. The same is true whenever I've gained weight, my levels have needed to be adjusted. Do you know what your TSH was when they checked it this last time?
  • wlaura88
    Options
    Whenever I've lost weight, my thyroid levels have needed to be adjusted. The important thing MAY be to not think of yourself as fixed forever and continue to have your levels monitored. Of course, I'm not a doctor. I'm speaking from experience. The same is true whenever I've gained weight, my levels have needed to be adjusted. Do you know what your TSH was when they checked it this last time?

I have no clue. They just told me they were in the "normal" range. When I was diagnosed, I know the Dr. said I was just borderline, so my prescription was the smallest dose you can get. I haven't been experiencing any hypo symptoms since I have lose weight though.. I have moved, so this is a different doctor than the one I went to before, but I had my records sent to them. I guess I will just keep asking them to re-test me every 6 months or so.
  • NursRatchett
    NursRatchett Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Check out Mary Shoman's website. She has a lot of good insight to thyroid problems. I have hypothyroidism, it fluctuates at different times of the day when the blood test is done, not sure if you had them both the same time of day?
  • wlaura88
    Options
    I was diagnosed a while ago, but from what I can remember, I think it was the afternoon. I was re-tested in the morning.
  • groovyreba
    Options
    Definitely check out the Shomon site. It's great. Also, I used to just accept that they told me I was "normal"; however, now I ask to see the specific numbers. Some doctors use the .5 - 5 range and some use a smaller range.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    As above re: the ranges - best practice is now 0.3 to 3 for normal, under 2 for optimal. Some doctors still use the old 0.5 to 5 range but that doesn't make it correct also, just outdated.

The key with hypothyroidism is actually symptoms 'trump' levels. Loads of people have 'normal' levels but persistent hypo symptoms. So they also use diet, exercise, and supplementation among other things as well as continuing to request different tests. Many hypo patients have other deficiencies (D, B12, folic acid, iron are the top 4) so they get tested for this also. As above, levels can vary during the day so it is best to get tested at the same time and some people even opt for doctors where they can have different types of tests done (such as a saliva test).

Personal experience? Cleaner diet, supplementation and exercise improve my hypothyroid symptoms as this improves absorption of thyroxine as well as general energy and wellbeing. However I still have lingering symptoms (oh the muscle ache...).

Hypothyroidism is a chronic condition - there is no cure, but levels can normalise for different reasons. You have addressed the issue of other deficiencies and don't have any hypo symptoms, so that is by far the most important thing. If you feel good, then nothing else matters! Standard practice here (UK) when you have normal levels is to be retested once a year as a check up - sooner if symptoms present.

The only thing that is important is to make sure you get your levels tested in early pregnancy, regardless of symptoms, as even mild cases of hypothyroidism can see levels go all over the place in pregnancy as the baby is reliant on the mother's stores of the hormone. Untreated hypothyroidism in pregnancy can have serious implications so just make sure you're covered on this point and enjoy the happy healthiness you have now!
  • wlaura88
    Options
    As above re: the ranges - best practice is now 0.3 to 3 for normal, under 2 for optimal. Some doctors still use the old 0.5 to 5 range but that doesn't make it correct also, just outdated.

The key with hypothyroidism is actually symptoms 'trump' levels. Loads of people have 'normal' levels but persistent hypo symptoms. So they also use diet, exercise, and supplementation among other things as well as continuing to request different tests. Many hypo patients have other deficiencies (D, B12, folic acid, iron are the top 4) so they get tested for this also. As above, levels can vary during the day so it is best to get tested at the same time and some people even opt for doctors where they can have different types of tests done (such as a saliva test).

Personal experience? Cleaner diet, supplementation and exercise improve my hypothyroid symptoms as this improves absorption of thyroxine as well as general energy and wellbeing. However I still have lingering symptoms (oh the muscle ache...).

Hypothyroidism is a chronic condition - there is no cure, but levels can normalise for different reasons. You have addressed the issue of other deficiencies and don't have any hypo symptoms, so that is by far the most important thing. If you feel good, then nothing else matters! Standard practice here (UK) when you have normal levels is to be retested once a year as a check up - sooner if symptoms present.

The only thing that is important is to make sure you get your levels tested in early pregnancy, regardless of symptoms, as even mild cases of hypothyroidism can see levels go all over the place in pregnancy as the baby is reliant on the mother's stores of the hormone. Untreated hypothyroidism in pregnancy can have serious implications so just make sure you're covered on this point and enjoy the happy healthiness you have now!

I feel a lot better after reading this! Thank you!
  • groovyreba
    Options
    Also make sure that if your doctor isn't supportive of you or your symptoms, find another one. I used to be faithful to my doctors; however, I will fire them now in a heartbeat if they aren't listening to me.