Reaction to natural thyroid replacement

Options
indianarose2
indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
Well, I took my first dose of the natural thyroid that my doc prescribed for me this morning and it was a disaster. It gave me a terrible headache and nausea. Felt like a really bad hangover. It lasted for about 8 hrs. I called him and he said to only take 1/2 the dose tomorrow. Anyone familiar with this reaction? I am a little scared to take it tomorrow. It was really bad. I had read a little about starting out with a lower dose...but I have already been taking t3 with my t4 and he said my dose translated well to the natural formulation...Additionally, I finally had my labs and a sonogram done. I was pretty sad to hear from the sonographer that my thyroid gland looked pretty nonexistent. She was not surprised since I told her I've been on replacement for 14 yrs now. She also said it didn't "look" like a hashimoto thyroid. I'm not sure how one looks... We'll see. Nice to have a place here to share these things with and hopefully someone knows something about reactions to natural hormone.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I take T4 + T3, so I can't help you with the side effects of natural thyroid. I know people can be allergic to various fillers in levothyroxine & liothyronine, but I don't know what else is in natural thyroid besides desiccated pig (or pig + cow) thyroid glands.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) and ultrasound (+ my endocrinologist feeling my throat at every visit) shows my thyroid is 2x normal size. Perhaps that's what your sonographer meant by what a Hashi's thyroid looks like? My endocrinologist says he's seen thyroids way bigger than mine.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Thank you for your response! That helps! I would love to get to the bottom of what has caused me to be hypo if not Hashi but now I fear it may be too late...
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Thyroid meds (just like weight loss) takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Do not give up!

Plenty of people in this group take Armour, so you'll get some feedback & advice shortly.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I take Nature-throid, which is a natural dessicated thyroid. I never had any reaction to it personally, but I also wasn't switching from the synthetics to it. I also wonder if perhaps you're having a withdrawal reaction from the switch as headache and nausea are pretty common withdrawal symptoms in other contexts. Since I was starting from zero, I slowly worked my way up to my current dose at 16.25 (1/4 grain) increments for 2 weeks at a time.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    I took 1/2 tablet of the Nature-thyroid this morning and only had a slight headache dehydrated(I know I'm not) kind of feel this time. Whew! I was pretty nervous I would feel the same way today as yesterday which was scary. I went from a 130/20 t4/t3 combination to 1GR (65mg) tablet of Nature-thyroid. I am really hoping this will work for me! So, maybe I should add 1/4 tablets every 2 weeks to get to the full tablet? Didn't get any further guidance from my doc on this...
  • indianarose2
    Options
    For some reason the rest of my post didn't show up. It was...I'm so grateful to you editorgrrl and Lindsey for your help!!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Talk to your endocrinologist and/or your pharmacist.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    I did and they were no help. Truly, whatever good care/help I've had on this journey these 14 yrs was because I sought it out. Doctors have been minimally helpful.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Can you find another endocrinologist? One who will listen to you and explain things to you?
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I went over from synthroid to naturethroid my endo said I would feel a little weird for the first few days. I had like heart racing the first few days right after my dose but after a few days i was ok. You could try to do your dose half in morning and half in afternoon (dr has me do that). Ask your dr if that's OK to do. Feel better soon :)
  • lindsey1979
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I also never think it's a bad idea to back off the dose and then work back up. Worst case, you'll have less thyroid in your system and feel hypo. Obviously, something you don't want to do all the time, but for a transition, it seems like it would make sense.

It took me 2 full months to get up to 65 (1 grain) and I now take 2.25 grains, which seems to be a general good number for me for the most part. Do you also take anything else? Have you had your vitamins checked, blood sugar, adrenals (DHEA, cortisol, etc.), etc.?
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Thank you again ladies! I am feeling much better! I think I will do 1/4-1/2 in am and 1/2 in pm. I had an endocrinologist in Indiana (found on Mary Shoman's thyroid doc list) who managed my condition well with the compounded synthetic t4t3 for several years. I recently moved out of state and used the thyroid doc list to find the family practice doc that i am currently using. I chose him because he sounded like he would listen and let me continue the T4t3 regime which many Endo docs would not. I've had several endos that have messed me up for years by not listening to me and under medicating... And now am just learning here about sonograms and scans that should have been done on my thyroid 14 years ago so I am jaded and don't feel like messing around with an Endo at this point. I've given up on finding a doctor who actually cares to find out why I'm hypo and am settling for now for someone who will listen to me and do what I ask him to do ex. Check my Vit D, Dhea, sonogram ... I will send off for a cortisol test myself soon... I should have the other results next week. Thanks again for "listening"!!!
  • FoxyMoxi
    FoxyMoxi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with no dr's ever helping me for years. I saw an Endo last week and she right away put me on T4t3 combo, I was taking OTC natural thyroid. She felt I needed a higher t3 to T4 ratio and so wants me to try the synthetic for 3 months to see if she can dial it in better. I am on a much lower dose than I was with the natural and am feeling it, but she says give it some time. She says she will be happy to put me back on the natural in about 3 months if I don't feel as well on the synthetic. I keep pinching myself.

That said, I personally haven't had any sympotoms on the natural like you had. I just felt really giddy and excited the first day it kicked in, like I had a 5 hour energy drink or something. I'm glad you are starting to sort out a better routine to keep your body happier while you switch! Hugs! xoxo
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    FoxyMoxi wrote: »
    I have a similar problem with no dr's ever helping me for years. I saw an Endo last week and she right away put me on T4t3 combo, I was taking OTC natural thyroid. She felt I needed a higher t3 to T4 ratio and so wants me to try the synthetic for 3 months to see if she can dial it in better. I am on a much lower dose than I was with the natural and am feeling it, but she says give it some time. She says she will be happy to put me back on the natural in about 3 months if I don't feel as well on the synthetic. I keep pinching myself.

That said, I personally haven't had any sympotoms on the natural like you had. I just felt really giddy and excited the first day it kicked in, like I had a 5 hour energy drink or something. I'm glad you are starting to sort out a better routine to keep your body happier while you switch! Hugs! xoxo

Just a point of clarification, if you were taking OTC natural thyroid, it likely wasn't the natural thyroid that the rest of us refer to -- natural dessicated thyroid. At least in the US, you need a prescription for natural dessicated thyroid just as you need for the synthetic meds. I'm not sure what OTC natural thyroid is (as I see you live in CA). What were you taking OTC?

• indianarose2
    Options
    Thanks foxy! So I feel your pain too! I reduced my dose as Lindsey suggested and ft better but then today increased too quickly again and had a slight headache-dumb and impatient! I think I have noticed a difference between the synthetic and the natural!! I feel calmer like my fuse is longer. That is a pretty huge thing for me because I have struggled with that for years and wondered/suspected if it had anything to do with my hormones because it started around the same time I became hypo. The synthetic did alleviate my "functional symptoms" as in I wasn't wanting fall asleep all day but I wonder if the NDT might not be giving me a more whole therapeutic response. We shall see! So, if your synthetic combo doesn't cut it for you & possibly even if it does, I might recommend the NDT, I'm still too early in to say for 100% sure yet though! Best wishes!!!
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    For a while several yrs ago I was on a synthetic thyroid med, but it didn't seem to help me one bit with how I was feeling. I changed over to Armour after several people mentioned how successful they have been on it. My Rx change over dosage needed just a bit of tweaking and then I have been on it for about 3 yrs now. I was feeling quite good, but my test results were border hyperthyroidism. My new dr (mine retired) upped my dosage just a bit which gave me some strange issues going on in my head. Another dr put me back on my old dosage and I have been fine since and have not slipped over to hyperthyroidism. As for wt loss I joined MFP along with purchasing a Fitbit One and I started counting my calories and walking about 30-45 min 5 days a week. End result over a yrs worth of eating only healthy food and eliminating processed foods and most sugars and carefully watching my carbs I lost 20 lbs. I did put 5 back, but I am stabilized now. With nicer weather, lots of fresh veggies and fruits and getting more active again I hope to finally reach my goal...another 15 lbs, but time will tell. Hang in there. Sometimes finding a different dr makes a big difference. I have dealt with thyroid issues since my childhood and I have experienced all kinds. Good luck on this.