food obsessed

Options
curlyblue21
curlyblue21 Posts: 78 Member
hi, I was doing low carb for a month but was very tired and not getting enough fibre so starting eating normal carbs again but can't believe how it has made me feel.... Constantly hungry, wanting to eat all the time and craving chocolate! I haven't had any of this doing LCHF so I'm definitely going to start again but could I have some tips on energy levels please?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Eating 2000 calories daily for a week but making sure 1800 are from fat helped me. I can get 800 calories in my first cup of coffee by going heavy on coconut oil and 36% butter fat heavy whipping cream.

I am seven months into very low carb very high fat eating lifestyle and now the energy level is fine.

Check your vitamin D level. The new range is 30-100 and I am trying to get mid range (65) by my June physical. I just learned to get Vitamin D up well it requires taking Vitamin K2 so I have added K1 and K2.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get enough fat. Most people when they first start still fear fat. Don't. Meat, cheese, lard, tallow, bacon grease, butter, coconuts and coconut oil, avocados and avocado oil, these are all fair game, and no, the saturated fats won't kill you.

Also, don't worry about fiber intake. You don't need it. If you were having bowel issues last time, that further means you weren't eating enough fat.

Have a look through the LaunchPad, there is tons of information there and most of it probably answers your questions -- http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad
  • curlyblue21
    Options
    Ok thank you, I didn't think I was eating enough fat but I found it hard because I didn't feel hungry, but didn't think about adding cream to coffee that is a good idea, I'm so shocked at how quickly I started to crave food and want to eat all the time, it just proves that it is so much better for me. Thanks for the tip and nicely put... Bowel issues have been an issue, and doing LCHF didn't seem to help so more fat would help?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you, I didn't think I was eating enough fat but I found it hard because I didn't feel hungry, but didn't think about adding cream to coffee that is a good idea, I'm so shocked at how quickly I started to crave food and want to eat all the time, it just proves that it is so much better for me. Thanks for the tip and nicely put... Bowel issues have been an issue, and doing LCHF didn't seem to help so more fat would help?

More fat SOLVED my potty issues!!! :) And I have no gallbladder, so I had crazy potty issues, without giving TMI.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Upping my fat helped me tremendously with potty issues! Made all the difference for me!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hitting high Fat carb numbers is hard in part due to past dieting programming that was anti FAT.

Even after six months I keep learning new things.
  • curlyblue21
    Options
    Going to start low carb again from tomorrow, been looking on launch pad and it says to try 100g carbs 100g protein and the rest fat but what do I set the calorie goal as? I know I don't need to count calories but I would still like to keep an eye on them, and I can only do these macros when I set 2000 calorie goal?? If I set it at a different cal goal then I can't set the carb goal for exactly 100g ect... Does this matter? I'm 5"3 and 183 pounds so still have around 42 pounds to loose, thanks for all your help!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    http://www.flexibleketogenic.com/ is one site to calculate things out. There is a better one. Hopefully someone will post it for you!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Google Keto calculator to set up your macros :)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Welcome @curlyblue21! Do use a keto calculator. I didn't do this at first, for some reason. Maybe I thought I knew enough, lol! Ha! These fine folks have taught me the ropes and have had so much patience with my ignorance. I, too, learn something new everyday through this group.
  • curlyblue21
    Options
    Ok I use it but not sure whether I have used it right as I still had to decide on a few things myself...wanted it to be done for me
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Even on a day to day basis if I don't have enough meat fat, I get potty issues. I really notice it. I didn't believe it at first, but now the correlation is undeniable.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    Even on a day to day basis if I don't have enough meat fat, I get potty issues. I really notice it. I didn't believe it at first, but now the correlation is undeniable.

I'm wondering this about myself. Most of my fat lately has been coming from cream and coconut oil and it's been... well let's just say it's been so long that I don't remember how long it's been. I'll aim for meat as my oil source and see how that does me!

I was down 1.2 lbs this morning. I figure I must have left a foot in my sock, because I don't know where else the weight went!
  • gsp90x
    edited April 2015
    Options

I was down 1.2 lbs this morning. I figure I must have left a foot in my sock, because I don't know where else the weight went!

Don't ask questions!! Just go with it! :wink:
  • curlyblue21
    Options
    That's strange...most of my last message was missing! I have set calories 1500 carbs 94g protein 75g and fat 92g does this sound right? Didn't think fat seemed enough as its close to carb amount but then I noticed the % was 55%, and also can someone confirm that if I do more walking and my levels change do I just increase fat or leave all levels to my set goal? Sorry for all the questions!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Since I finally used the calculator I have changed my percentages a couple of times based on how I feel. If you are asking about eating back your exercise calories, I wouldn't know, since I don't, but I would imagine you would want to stick to protein and fat if you do. Don't ever apologize for questions. There are always people around who can answer them for you. That's what this is all about anyway! Best to you! It does get easier, I promise. All it takes is commitment and determination!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

More fat SOLVED my potty issues!!! :) And I have no gallbladder, so I had crazy potty issues, without giving TMI.

Same as this. More fat definitely helped!
  • gsp90x
    Options
    @curlyblue, that doesn't look right to me at all. I'm not an expert but that carb number looks really high if you're trying to do a LCHF diet.
    Your carb# and your fat# are practically the same. So that means if your fat% is around 50% so is carbs and they should be IMO closer to 5% not 50%. Depends on your goals and purpose but on LCHF I don't think 50% carbs qualifies. You can go into your settings and set the percentages and it will tell you what that works out to in grams. Also you can go to the caveman keto website and there is info on a script you can easily instal into your mfp to show a pie chart and net carbs etc. here's the link http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
    But IMO your carb grams should be WAY less than your fat grams. In the example you gave I would greatly lower the carbs and greatly increase the fat.

In response to your walking question, if you start walking and find you feel great and you're losing weight as you wish, then leave it. If you want to stop losing weight (or you're thinking you're not getting enough calories because you're expending too many) then yes, increase fat. And/or go back to the keto calculator and imput everything again if you want to really tweak everything.

I;m sure others will want to add more to this. But... that's my opinion. :)

HTH
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    @curlyblue, that doesn't look right to me at all. I'm not an expert but that carb number looks really high if you're trying to do a LCHF diet.
    Your carb# and your fat# are practically the same. So that means if your fat% is around 50% so is carbs and they should be IMO closer to 5% not 50%. Depends on your goals and purpose but on LCHF I don't think 50% carbs qualifies. You can go into your settings and set the percentages and it will tell you what that works out to in grams. Also you can go to the caveman keto website and there is info on a script you can easily instal into your mfp to show a pie chart and net carbs etc. here's the link http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
    But IMO your carb grams should be WAY less than your fat grams. In the example you gave I would greatly lower the carbs and greatly increase the fat.

In response to your walking question, if you start walking and find you feel great and you're losing weight as you wish, then leave it. If you want to stop losing weight (or you're thinking you're not getting enough calories because you're expending too many) then yes, increase fat. And/or go back to the keto calculator and imput everything again if you want to really tweak everything.

I;m sure others will want to add more to this. But... that's my opinion. :)

HTH

You're doing your math wrong. Fat is 55%, because the percentages are based on calories. Since fat has twice the calories per gram as carbs, so if fat is 55%, then carbs are around 25%.

For someone just starting out, 95g carbs at 1500 calories isn't bad. It's certainly not going to achieve ketosis, but not everyone is or wants to be at that point.

I do second the caveman keto link, though. I use both the macro setting and the pie chart script and love them.
  • curlyblue21
    Options
    Yeah I was confused about that but yes the % is 25% carbs and 55% fat, not waning to do ketosis, just loose weight really and be more healthy, will see how I go with these macros and I can always change them and lower my carbs again, it's annoying that your goals change the more exercise you do, only just realised that! Thanks for your help