What's up with week 7?!!? It's kicking my butt!

Options
I have went through all weeks being able to finish them, not always with easy effort but I've always been able to finish them. Am I self sabotaging because I'm close to graduating?? I ran 22 mins end of week 6, so I know I can do it but this week I get 15 mins into my run and I've got to take a break and then another break within the last 10 mins as well as decreasing me speed. I'm getting pretty frustrated! I will repeat this week until I'm able to complete the 25 mins without a break. I wish I could break through this mental block :(

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Slow down.

Even slower.

And keep telling yourself not to stop. (It is pretty much mental now.)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Slow down.

Even slower.

And keep telling yourself not to stop. (It is pretty much mental now.)

+1 for this, you know you can do it, your mind is overruling your body, stop listening to your mind and keep going.

• stephnerR
    stephnerR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My two cents - it's what works for me. I run on the treadmill. When I started, my speed was 5.9. In order to get through week 6, I brought it down to 5.0. Now I'm finally in week 8. My trick to get my mind off of the minutes is to switch up the speed. Sometimes I only run a certain speed for 30 seconds. I try to run each speed for a minute. So, I will start at 5.9. After about five minutes, I go to 5.5. When I start feeling really out of breath, I take it down to 5.0 for a few minutes then I go to 5.2, then 5.4, all the way to 6.0, then I come back down again. If I get too tired, I shoot right back to 5.0 where I know I can sustain the run. It works for me. It's much slower than I would prefer, but I will increase the speed when I have the distance conquered.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    stephnerR wrote: »
    My two cents - it's what works for me. I run on the treadmill. When I started, my speed was 5.9. In order to get through week 6, I brought it down to 5.0. Now I'm finally in week 8. My trick to get my mind off of the minutes is to switch up the speed. Sometimes I only run a certain speed for 30 seconds. I try to run each speed for a minute. So, I will start at 5.9. After about five minutes, I go to 5.5. When I start feeling really out of breath, I take it down to 5.0 for a few minutes then I go to 5.2, then 5.4, all the way to 6.0, then I come back down again. If I get too tired, I shoot right back to 5.0 where I know I can sustain the run. It works for me. It's much slower than I would prefer, but I will increase the speed when I have the distance conquered.

You are doing on the dreadmill what happens naturally outside. Because there is no belt driving the pavement outside so can naturally speed up and slow down with elevation or tiredness. Even when running 4-5 miles at even easy pace my detailed run logs show quite a lot of pace variation.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wish I could break through this mental block :(

Almost certainly it's entirely psychological. You need to keep giving yourself small challenges to achieve; that lamp post, that bush, that bend, then keep extending. If you're on hills then keep going to the top because the offslope gives you a chance to relax and recover.