First 5k on same night as last Couch to 5k run

Options
southpaw211
southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
So I've got one last week of training in the program - finishing up W7D3 tomorrow. W8D1 on Thurs, W8D2 on Sunday, and W8D3 a week from tomorrow.

I'm a little nervous because my time (currently around 11:40) is not fast enough to get that much distance in the run time allotted in the training. When I run the race next week, if will be the first time I've covered that long of a distance. My most recent training day this past Saturday was the 26 minute run, so I only covered about 2-1/4 miles. I did it without walking, but I know that next week I will have to do that plus about 10-15 additional minutes to cover the entire distance. It's actually 3.5 miles with a major crowd of people (Chase Corporate Challenge). I know there isn't any shame in walking, I just don't want to walk! I've made it through the program this far without having to walk any of the run segments, so I'd really like to be able to keep that up. Just hoping the adrenaline and momentum of the crowd will keep me going!

I'm wondering how long I should keep a reserved pace before I expend everything I've got left? The last 1/2 mile? When I can see the finish? As I've been doing the program, I haven't had that feeling at the end of a run segment that I couldn't go another step, at least not since the first couple of weeks.

(Sorry, I'm kind of just thinking aloud here I guess!)

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You are going faster and farther than I did at graduation and I was able to run a 5k in 40 minutes pushing a double stroller. So it can be done :)

The crowd will totally carry you along, and you'll probably end up walking the first 5 minutes until everybody spreads out. You are more than capable of doing this. Just remember everything you've learned: pace, form, mental stamina.

If you want to have a kick at the end, wait until you can see the finish line. Your goal in this first race is to finish upright.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I always sprint the last .10 of a mile. They will have the miles marked, and usually as soon as I hit the 3 mile mark I start booking it. When I can see the finish I am usually in full out sprint to the end...I like to finish super strong.