Reliable way to measure ketones?

VainerNote
VainerNote Posts: 13 Member
hi, new to the group. Was just wondering how people are measuring the ketone levels in blood. Is it a test you can do at the doctors or is there a reliable way to do this at home?

Cheers.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Using a ketone test monitor (most do blood sugar, too) is a reliable way, as is a ketone breath meter. Those are the only two I know of.
  • VainerNote
    Ok nice one, I'll have a look around see where I can pick one up. Easier than getting your bloods done at the docs all the time then!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    The strips are more expensive for the meter, but you can get a free one online. There is a post here about a month and a half back called "Free Meter" or something... But I've heard that the initial cost of the Ketonix (I think is the breath one I've heard of) is more, but you don't have to buy ongoing supplies.

Here is the link to the post about meters. There was one that tested Ketones in addition to glucose...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10101713/free-glucometer#latest

But I don't have the link available for the Ketonix. @DittoDan was the one who knows the most about that one...feel free to shoot him a message if you have trouble finding it online...
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Following this post. Went to Walmart this morning (in Canada) and they don't have the ones that test for ketones or even the dual ones !
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    @DittoDan, where did you purchase it?
  • VainerNote
    Cheers, I'll give the ketonix a go then.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    ketonix.com also on Amazon sometimes
  • lackielack
    lackielack Posts: 3 Member
    I use the blood Ketone meter and strips. I like it because I am used to it. When I decided to start tracking the Ketonix was not out. It is awesome to hear good stories about it!

I like the dual meter for me because I also want to test glucose levels. The tests are expensive for Ketones though!
  • VainerNote
    Thanks for the link, I'll have to keep my eyes open on Amazon. Is the blood ketone meter also something you can get off the net then?
  • lackielack
    lackielack Posts: 3 Member
    Yes, you can get it online at Amazon as well. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Apparently my cat is an excellent ketone detector, she tries to stick her nose in my mouth, she has never done that before. So I know I'm on track if she keeps trying to make out with me lol
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I'm not obsessed with ketones, so ketostix are fine for me. But I have an idea I want to try out on one of my higher ketone days. Blow up a balloon, and as you let the air out of it, hold a flame source to the exhausted air. If it ignites, your ketone level is high. :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Lol you'll have to let us know if that works
  • Melindhra
    Melindhra Posts: 15 Member
    I just use ketostix, because I stay in ketosis really easily for some reason. I figure that if the reading is dark purple, it's definitely good enough. Ketonix sounds interesting for the other end of the scale though. Perhaps when I have had a little bit too much red wine. :D

Let us know how it goes! I am interested to find out.