Pre-diabetic diagnosis ~ how do I approach this lifestyle?

Options
124»

Replies

• kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't own a kindle either. I downloaded the kindle version for PC. you can get it on Amazon. I don't think the coffee tastes bitter at all, but everyone's tastes bud are different.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I just posted this link in the Keto group…and it is sobering..MOST people who have to live with diabetes say they would do ANYTHING to avoid the life issues they have now. a great site is www.diabetes-warrior.net and he posted an article saying forget the word "PRE"..just hear the words "diabetes" if your BG is high..and take action NOW. http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2015/02/25/prediabetes-vs-diabetes-rose-name/
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I try to remember that if I want to keep on living diabetes-free, this is a way of eating (WOE), not a quick-fix diet. I will need to do this for years to come, the high carb lifestyle is not one I will be going back to....
    One thing that helped me when I was starting out was to listen to podcasts like this one for inspiration.
    http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/12200/953-harriet-brown-shows-the-body-of-truth-behind-our-weight-obsession/
    I also read every book / diet book/ blog on low carb and keto I could find! the list in the Launchpad is a good one to start. It takes time to get your head in the right space, so don't give up. We are all in the same boat.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't own a kindle either. I downloaded the kindle version for PC. you can get it on Amazon. I don't think the coffee tastes bitter at all, but everyone's tastes bud are different.
    Thanks. I think I'm gonna try the coffee like that and see how I like it. When I first started I said my coffee was the one thing I wouldn't change even if I had to do without carbs the rest of the day. I considered it one of life's little enjoyment. Lol. It took me a few weeks to make the change from sugar to stevia. No harm in trying something new. I do like butter so maybe I will like my coffee more that way. We'll see. :) I'll check out the book when I can, too. Thanks again.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    I truly am wanting what you describe. .a lifestyle change in my eating habits. I've made small lasting changes in the past couple years (some for the better and some, I'm seeing, were not so wise after all). I stopped drinking sodas and so much table sugar. I switched to splenda in my tea, things like that. But I also stopped frying so much, use a lot less oil and butter, bake things when possible, eat more veggies ...all these things I thought were good for me. It's difficult for me to change that mindset that I worked so hard to achieve. But I'm truly trying. I read the things from the Iaunchpad but I'm still having difficulties with that. I've grown accustomed to my veggies and fruit and they have so many carbs in them it's ridiculous. I'm a work in progress for sure. Thanks for the link. I'll try to soak up additional info anyway I can. And thanks for your support.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    When we finally find what is right for us we look bad at all of the past wrongs and realize our mistakes. Learning from them, instead of repeating them, is the key. I've quit diets so many times, thinking it wasn't working at the first stall in weight loss. They happen to all of us, so don't be surprised when they do. I have read where most use a blender/frother (is it a word?) when mixing their bpc, but is a great way to get fat in. I can't drink coffee, since it gives me ulcers, but I would. Happy day to all!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    SazzySuze wrote: »
    Thanks! Bullet proof coffee is hot coffee plus a tablespoon or two of butter plus a tablespoon or two of coconut oil blended together. I do add some stevia to mine. Just a little though. Those books I mentioned you can get on amazon. the kindle version is cheaper.
    I don't own a kindle. :/ But I'll see what I can find. I was just looking through the launch pad links and saw the definition of bulletproof coffee and fat bombs but didn't see any actual recipes or measurements so I wasn't sure. Does the coffee taste bitter like that?

From what I've been told, the coffee tastes a lot like a creamy latte that way. Me personally, I can't stand coffee, so I do mine in tea. I do 4 TBSP heavy cream, 1-2 TBSP of coconut oil, and 0-3 stevia packets, depending on taste buds that day. I brew my tea double strength and have come up with a way to shake it like h@ll in a bottle so I don't have to have a blender at work. This is to 12-16 oz of regular Lipton black tea.

@Dragonwolf posted somewhere about primal coffee (includes eggs blended in the coffee at high enough temps to make it like a custard. I'm really looking forward to trying that this weekend with my tea.

When I started, I used way more heavy cream and far less coconut oil (coconut oil has an adjustment period, as it can cause loose bowels). So, depending on how you have your coffee now, I'd start with 1/2 TBSP of coconut oil, 1 TBSP of butter if you like that (personally, I had problems getting it to blend well, even in the blender, and I just didn't like how it tasted, but I do LOVE it in broth...makes it rich and decadent). Then depending on whether you like creamer in your coffee or not, add heavy cream to taste. It does have about 1 gram of carbs per TBSP, so you don't want to do like half cream, half coffee, but it is personal preference. Sweeten to taste with your stevia. No need to give this up unless it causes cravings. I've been fighting cravings since I allowed some berries back into my diet, so I'm warning some sweeteners.

You will want to adjust to taste, and be sure to blend well (or shake it!!!)... Some folks need to pair this with something at first. It took me about a week not to feel hungry from not having food too. But since then, this is my go to breakfast. I usually have some broth a few hours after to balance my electrolytes, but I only need to eat with it now on my HUNGRY days...usually about once a week.

I hope you enjoy experimenting!

As far as fat bombs, there is a thread here with some recipes, but truly, you can just google and find some. Many taste like cheesecake, some are savory, some have a base with butter, cream cheese, and coconut oil, some will have cocoa butter... The options are endless.

Here is a link to a recipe thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10039503/call-for-links-recipe-sites#latest

I think this one is a good bulletproof recipe one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10120291/bulletproof-coffee-recipe#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10102960/bullet-proof-coffee-variations#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10149046/bulletproof-coffee-fail#latest

Here is a homemade fat bomb link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10086394/almond-joy-wanna-bes#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10108474/raspberry-fat-bombs#latest

Can anyone find the Main Fat Bomb post? I went back to page 16 and didn't see it! Maybe we could stickie some of these @baconslave , summarize or something, since these questions get asked often, and going back 20 pages is intimidating!

Also, if you have a smart phone or computer or electronic device of any kind that accesses the internet can download the Kindle app for free to access all the awesome free stuff. Most of us have stuff we can "loan" out, too...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I truly am wanting what you describe. .a lifestyle change in my eating habits. I've made small lasting changes in the past couple years (some for the better and some, I'm seeing, were not so wise after all). I stopped drinking sodas and so much table sugar. I switched to splenda in my tea, things like that. But I also stopped frying so much, use a lot less oil and butter, bake things when possible, eat more veggies ...all these things I thought were good for me. It's difficult for me to change that mindset that I worked so hard to achieve. But I'm truly trying. I read the things from the Iaunchpad but I'm still having difficulties with that. I've grown accustomed to my veggies and fruit and they have so many carbs in them it's ridiculous. I'm a work in progress for sure. Thanks for the link. I'll try to soak up additional info anyway I can. And thanks for your support.

Focus on the higher fiber veggies. You will get less of a carb hit that way. Some people have to count the fiber carbs, but some people can subtract them out...
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Thanks! Bullet proof coffee is hot coffee plus a tablespoon or two of butter plus a tablespoon or two of coconut oil blended together. I do add some stevia to mine. Just a little though. Those books I mentioned you can get on amazon. the kindle version is cheaper.
    I don't own a kindle. :/ But I'll see what I can find. I was just looking through the launch pad links and saw the definition of bulletproof coffee and fat bombs but didn't see any actual recipes or measurements so I wasn't sure. Does the coffee taste bitter like that?

From what I've been told, the coffee tastes a lot like a creamy latte that way. Me personally, I can't stand coffee, so I do mine in tea. I do 4 TBSP heavy cream, 1-2 TBSP of coconut oil, and 0-3 stevia packets, depending on taste buds that day. I brew my tea double strength and have come up with a way to shake it like h@ll in a bottle so I don't have to have a blender at work. This is to 12-16 oz of regular Lipton black tea.

@Dragonwolf posted somewhere about primal coffee (includes eggs blended in the coffee at high enough temps to make it like a custard. I'm really looking forward to trying that this weekend with my tea.

When I started, I used way more heavy cream and far less coconut oil (coconut oil has an adjustment period, as it can cause loose bowels). So, depending on how you have your coffee now, I'd start with 1/2 TBSP of coconut oil, 1 TBSP of butter if you like that (personally, I had problems getting it to blend well, even in the blender, and I just didn't like how it tasted, but I do LOVE it in broth...makes it rich and decadent). Then depending on whether you like creamer in your coffee or not, add heavy cream to taste. It does have about 1 gram of carbs per TBSP, so you don't want to do like half cream, half coffee, but it is personal preference. Sweeten to taste with your stevia. No need to give this up unless it causes cravings. I've been fighting cravings since I allowed some berries back into my diet, so I'm warning some sweeteners.

You will want to adjust to taste, and be sure to blend well (or shake it!!!)... Some folks need to pair this with something at first. It took me about a week not to feel hungry from not having food too. But since then, this is my go to breakfast. I usually have some broth a few hours after to balance my electrolytes, but I only need to eat with it now on my HUNGRY days...usually about once a week.

I hope you enjoy experimenting!

As far as fat bombs, there is a thread here with some recipes, but truly, you can just google and find some. Many taste like cheesecake, some are savory, some have a base with butter, cream cheese, and coconut oil, some will have cocoa butter... The options are endless.

Here is a link to a recipe thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10039503/call-for-links-recipe-sites#latest

I think this one is a good bulletproof recipe one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10120291/bulletproof-coffee-recipe#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10102960/bullet-proof-coffee-variations#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10149046/bulletproof-coffee-fail#latest

Here is a homemade fat bomb link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10086394/almond-joy-wanna-bes#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10108474/raspberry-fat-bombs#latest

Can anyone find the Main Fat Bomb post? I went back to page 16 and didn't see it! Maybe we could stickie some of these @baconslave , summarize or something, since these questions get asked often, and going back 20 pages is intimidating!

Also, if you have a smart phone or computer or electronic device of any kind that accesses the internet can download the Kindle app for free to access all the awesome free stuff. Most of us have stuff we can "loan" out, too...

Lots of awesome info! I do have a smartphone.. just wasn't wise to all the ways of Kindle. Thank you for all the links and the heads up about the loose bowels when starting with coconut oil. Lol. I'm excited about trying all this new stuff! :smiley: Thanks again!
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I truly am wanting what you describe. .a lifestyle change in my eating habits. I've made small lasting changes in the past couple years (some for the better and some, I'm seeing, were not so wise after all). I stopped drinking sodas and so much table sugar. I switched to splenda in my tea, things like that. But I also stopped frying so much, use a lot less oil and butter, bawhen possible, eat more veggies ...thought were good for me. It's difficult for me to change that mindset that I worked so hard to achieve. But I'm truly trying. I read the things from the Iaunchpad but I'm still having difficulties with that. I've grown accustomed to my veggies and fruit and they have so many carbs in them it's ridiculous. I'm a work in progress for sure. Thanks for the link. I'll try to soak up additional info anyway I can. And thanks for your support.

Focus on the higher fiber veggies. You will get less of a carb hit that way. Some people have to count the fiber carbs, but some people can subtract them out...

I will try to do that. Thanks. :)
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    You can get a free kindle app on your PC or phone. I have the kindle version and can loan it to you although I would need an e-mail address. Well worth the read. Just let me know if you are interested.
  • mpantsari
    mpantsari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You have some good advice already, and welcome! You are not alone in your health problem, and you are certainly on the right track. I think you will find you can be more liberal in your calorie intake, provided your carb intake remains low (your current target of 50g NET seems a good start). Raising your fat intake to `70% calories will keep you satiated. Keeping your protein moderate (as you have done) will keep your body from turning excess protein into sugar (which it will do).
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    You can get a free kindle app on your PC or phone. I have the kindle version and can loan it to you although I would need an e-mail address. Well worth the read. Just let me know if you are interested.
    Going to google the free kindle app for pc. Sending my email to you in a message. Thank you so much.. that's very nice of you. :)