Need some support...

Options
Pamcakes37221
Pamcakes37221 Posts: 14 Member
Hi-I'm Pamela! I'm 46 and have ~30 lbs to lose. My husband has started calling me "Spunky Chunky" and "Dr. Knockers"--NOT the kind of support and encouragement I need.
Is it possible to lose that much weight, now that I'm THIS old? I'm a little discouraged but going to log everything I eat and check this page daily for some high-fives when I need it.
Best of luck to all of you!

Replies

• trl2550
    trl2550 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ignore your hubby's comments and hang out with those of us in the same spot! You can do it! :)
  • Pamcakes37221
    Options
    Thanks!
  • azneee
    azneee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes! 1000%, it's possible. You just have to get honest about calories in, calories burned. Keep accurate track of that, be patient and persistent. That's the secret! And friends really help. Friend me! :-)
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    THIS old? bah!

Started at 45, now 47. Lifestyle change, 70 lbs down, abs like I'm 20, off meds I took for a decade and I consider this a "just warming up" period. Hard to believe I started all this just by taking a walk and wondering what was possible. Amazing things, that's what's possible.

Small changes add up over time. Figure out what you like, don't do things you hate and keep tweaking. It's only as hard as you want to make it. Keep to the basics, question all advice and research everything.

• Pamcakes37221
    Options
    Thank you so much for the words of encouragement!!!! I'm looking for friends, so if anybody wants to friend me, that would be great. :smile:
  • theselumps66
    theselumps66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 48 and finding it soo hard to shift this blubber! I totally empathise with you. perhaps we can help each other? :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm 44 and 15 pounds down out of 30 to go...since I've been exercising a lot as well I feel a billion times better. Balance, posture, breathing, etc are all so much improved, it really has made me feel younger.

Per George Carlin, you may refer to your husband as "Needledick the Bug *kitten*" whenever you like.

eta (that word would indicate he is a 'person who has sexual relations with bugs')
    eta ok once I explained it it stopped hiding it...
  • kjspurr1
    kjspurr1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Pamela,
    I"m 43 and need to lose another 10lbs at minimum. Of course you can do it! I've started to log into MFP everyday and it's easily becoming a habit. I'm getting much more careful about measuring food and I have a small kitchen scale, but think I'm going to upgrade to a digital one, so that I can be as accurate as possible about calories in. Just hang in there!!
  • thadden674
    thadden674 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Pamela, I'm new too! I'm sad to hear how your husband is speaking to you. Keep coming here we won't speak to you like that! We can loose the weight, it's our daily habits and choices that will get us there.
  • Oakstaff777
    Oakstaff777 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Perfectly possible to loose that amount, I am currently losing 1-2 pounds a week and don't feel hungry, plenty of protein and don't go below a silly amount for calorie goal, it makes you keep fat! Watch nutrition and enjoy, I noticed the stairs were easier after the first couple of pounds lost, it really makes a difference, do it! Choose free fun activities, nicer weather is walking weather.
  • Oakstaff777
    Oakstaff777 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ps I'm 48 so age is no barrier to weight loss , you can and will achieve your goals
  • alesaux1867
    alesaux1867 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ohhh Yesss. I'm 48 and last year lost 40lb last year just through very moderate exercise and changing my eating habits (not dieting). After a few weeks the changes started to become habitual and that made it so much easier. I then maintained my weight and seemed to plateau. i am now working to lose a further 14lb. To hit my goal and to do this will have to make a few significant changes to my routine. But be certain, age is not a barrier. It's more about the mental readiness and finding a routine and plan that works for you. Don't worry about the ones that are sniggering or making fun of you because you will get the last laugh and be ready because after you have lost 30lbs people will see the real you and the compliments will really start to come in. Enjoy the process and get ready for the new you.
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    For one, I'm 46 and don't consider myself old. Show that hubby that you are one hot lady! Log your calories and start exercising... Even if it's just walking three times a week. You got this!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hello Pamela,
    I am also 46 and fitter than I was 10 years ago. I have so much energy and motivation to keep fit. At the end of this month I will be going for my black belt in taekwondo and am in the best shape of my life.

You can do it and you have made the first step by coming here. When you start, gain momentum and see positive changes you will only want to carry on. The fitness I do is now a major part of my life and I won't stop kicking until my legs stop working. All the best and feel free to add me.