Help in working out a health question

Options
jumanajane
jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
Hi everyone. I have been doing Atkins on and off since 2002 and started again about 7 weeks ago. As I'm post menopausal and lose with difficulty I decided 3 weeks ago to go LCHF unlike the higher amounts of protein on Atkins.
I guess that I must have keto adapted by now and apart from not sleeping well some nights I feel so well. No aches and pains any more etc. BUT the last few days I have been feeling my pulse racing on and off and yesterday when I got up I felt totally drained and my Blood Pressure was only 106/67 and my pulse 98. It took the whole day for me to even feel normal and my BP to get back up to normal level. Today much the same apart from my BP being ok. Still having 'flutters'.
Can anyone give me any suggestions what may be going on please??? Im trying to stay under the calories on my macros..wondering if I am too low? Never counted calories on Atkins....lol...not sure which side of the fence I'm on on that point!!!

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    After a quick glance at your diary I'd say the culprit is an electrolyte imbalance. Your sodium is very low, as well as your calories being on the low side. Drink some beef or chicken broth, salt your food liberally, maybe try to get in a few more calories...that should help. If you're still having issues, it may be worth looking at potassium and magnesium supplementation as well.
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Sorry, I forgot to mention I have been feeling thirsty in the evenings the last few days! I always drink 3 litres a day regardless of whather I am LCHF or not and have been drinking a couple of glasses more to try and get rid of it but it doesnt go.Dont want to end up drinking too much! My blood sugar is fine btw and has never been a problem.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    +1 on the sodium. Your body dumps sodium along with the ketones you excrete. You need more sodium. Your low blood pressure is a sure sign of it.
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Thanks. I have been wondering about that as I have used LoSalt for years. Will swop back to salt. An excuse to try Himalayan!! ;)
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Any suggestion on the thirst thing??
  • wabmester
    Options
    The heart flutters? Still sodium or other electrolytes. Make sure you're eating eggs for the selenium.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/526171-can-too-little-sodium-cause-heart-palpitations/

The poor sleep? For me, my sleep improved with the diet. Others have problems. Could be cortisol or other adrenal issues.
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Sorry no, feeling so thirsty in the evening depute having 3 litres every day.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Believe it or not, it still could be due to low sodium. Address that first (soon), and see how you feel.
  • jumanajane
    Options
    Thanks!