Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

paleo helped you get lean??

strwberrygrl
strwberrygrl Posts: 10 Member
I am basically doing whole30. I cut out all grains, no alchol or sugar. I do eat fruit. My calories are not high. Doing weightlifting few times a week, running, high intensity exercise. I get in activity about 6 times a week. I am 5 5 and 127 lbs and 30 % body fat according to tanita scale. I am trying to figure out how to lower the body fat. It has stayed the same this whole month. I am feeling frustrated. It is good to be in control of eating and to be exercising consistently just not sure how to lean out? Any ideas?

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    edited April 2015
    Um... well, Paleo worked for me, until it didn't. But I never got totally lean. Interestingly, people that are eating only animal foods report a drastic reduction in body fat (and body size, but not necessarily scale weight) just with the dietary change and no added exercise. Looking at pictures of some of them that say they don't work out, it's pretty convincing. A few of the ladies assert that they fit into dresses that they fit into when they were 20 pounds lighter than current weight. Obviously, there must be more muscle and less fat.

So, I can't offer much to help with making Paleo get you the results you want, because it didn't get me there either. I am one person who cannot tolerate ANY sugars and starches apparently. But I'm new into my experiment so the jury is still out.

I would still recommend more animals foods and less nuts and fruit if you want to drop body fat. What is your carb consumption? Sugar matters. Starch works for some and not others. I store sugar as fat instantly, no matter if I'm in a supposed calorie deficit. CICO is bogus.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Could you look at a different way to determine your body fat percentage? Maybe the scale you are using isn't correct or doesn't figure in your water correctly? I found this link about ways to measure body fat: http://www.builtlean.com/2010/07/13/5-ways-to-measure-body-fat-percentage/

I would LOVE to weigh 127, and I'm 5' 4". My best friend and my daughter are both 1-3 inches taller than me and in that 125-127 range and they are very thin. I'm trying to imagine you not being lean at your height and weight and exercise level. I'll bet you look great!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Also remember that a healthy body fat level for women is higher than for men. At least, that's what I seem to recall.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Running promotes "skinny fat". At first it helps you burn calories, but as you get lower it just keeps you "fat" while being a good weight. That weight for you is MORE than reasonable. I think you need to focus on strength training program, whatever you will follow. For example, I have a friend who is an Ultra runner...still skinny fat! Not about the calories, and at a certain point running stresses the body and stores fat. I was a runner, and want to be again, but will be mindful to not stress my body with t and keep it manageable.
    If you are doing a good strength routine, it is also likely too low calorie for your running and high intensity.