Trail Running

Options
T1DCarnivoreRunner
T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
Does anyone here do trail running?

I just got into running and completed my first 5K last weekend. Originally, I wanted to run to improve my cardiovascular strength and didn't think I would even like it. I want to continue to further improve cardiovascular health, but also because I'm starting to enjoy it. Since I love the outdoors (I mean the real outdoors... not just streets and sidewalks and such), and there is additional challenge to trail running, I am thinking about starting to get into trail running sometime in the next few months.

My questions are:

Obviously I want to have the 10 essentials and such, but my hiking backpack / day pack is going to flop around quite a bit. Does anyone have suggestions of good running backpacks (something that will strap tightly) that are at least big enough for the 10 essentials?

I don't have this issue where I live (except the very rare puma), but maybe in some areas when I travel or whatnot. What do you do about wildlife (particularly bears)? I could definitely carry bear spray, but preventing an encounter is better. Do you wear a bell? Do you use a phone app to make some kind of noises to alert them that you are coming so you don't surprise them?

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I have done a lot of trail running and all I have with me is water on an Amphipod belt, my phone, car keys, a rag, and that is about it. I don't even know ultra runners who carry a lot for a trail run. If you need to you can bring fuel on a belt like Amphipod, or if you are doing longer distances like over 10k, you could use a hydration vest, and there is spots on those for gels and whatnot. I guess it does depend where you live though, and what you are facing. Not many real hazards here except bugs! I do pack a small refillable spray bottle of bug spray, I think it was originally a breath spray container.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited April 2015
    Options
    At a minimum, I would want to carry water, glucose tablets and glucometer (I have type 1 diabetes). And probably a protein bar or 2.

There are not a lot of dangers here either, but that was more for when I'm traveling in bear country. The distance will probably be about 6.5-7 miles because that is the distance around the nearest lake.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @midwesterner85 then look at Amphipod. You can customize the belts with accessories and one I have would fit a glucometer very well!
  • wtgrey
    wtgrey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    On trails that I know well, all I carry is water, a couple of snacks, and my phone. If I am going into an unknown area, I will carry more items, including a satellite rescue beacon, and bear spray, if needed. This usually only happens when I am day hiking or backpacking. Most actual trail runs are in areas that I know pretty well.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I saw an Amphipod belt at REI that says it can be customized. I'm thinking I'll buy it and then see how much the included pouches can hold, then order another pouch if I need to.

I did go out for the first time last week, went partway around the lake and it was sunset, so I turned around and headed back. It was a bit over 4 miles total, but I knew there was a risk of it getting too dark before I made it back because I didn't get out until past 7:30p (I was originally hoping to go all the way around, but changed my mind).

Here's what I found:
    1. My day pack definitely flops around too much, as expected. In fact, the larger pocket unzipped I think from the vibrations and such. But I'll soon order the Amphipod. Also, carrying a pack that isn't even very heavy slows me down and makes it more difficult.
    2. The trail running shoes I ordered on clearance (so not returnable) online are a bit too big. For years I had an aversion to buying shoes online because sizes were always different in stores. Then, in the past few years, I've only bought 1 pair of shoes/boots that was a different size... and that sometimes feels a bit small. So I figured shoe makers had standardized sizes now. I guess not. Anyway, I'm going to try thicker socks and tying them a bit differently so they don't slip off.
    3. There really are not dangerous animals here, but I scared up a lot of rabbits and a few deer. One of the deer was probably 15 ft. away when we saw each other and it ran off. I'm not terribly concerned about surprising deer, but that increases my worry about surprising more dangerous animals when in other areas of the country.
    4. Two days later, a coworker noticed a tick on my shirt (not attached). Ticks seem to be bad this year, and I wonder if this one hung out in my car or something for the days in between. Ugh. I need some serious bug spray for ticks.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks to this thread, I just bought an Amphipod Airflow Micro belt, a Flipbelt and 2 cheap Chinese manufactured belts that were slightly different (and cost practically nothing, so I figured why not try them too). They're all slightly different. I hope I like at least one of them and that I can iron or sew some reflective strips onto the belt portion of the Amphipod.

I spend more money on gear. . .