Can meal frequency make a difference? Appears if protein is high enough it can.

Options
heybales
heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20296/full

In summary, consuming increased amounts of dietary protein (35% vs. 15%), more often (six meals vs. three meals/day) decreased abdominal fat and increased postprandial thermogenesis and LBM compared to traditional dietary intakes of protein consumed as three meals/day. These results were achieved even though total kcals consumed was identical between groups for the entire 62-day study. Our data indicate, for the first time, that macronutrient composition (increased dietary protein), nutrient quality (low glycemic index and unprocessed carbohydrates), and frequency of eating (six times per day) is more important than total energy intake for overweight/obese men and women to reduce abdominal obesity and enhance postprandial thermogenesis.

And this was in high overweight/obese BMI range folks doing no exercise and no weight changes prior 6 months.

LBM increased during the balance phase (2 lbs in 28 days) of still eating at maintenance (but no increase of water), which was merely the macro change for 28 days.
And retained more during the diet phase at 25% deficit.

I'd like to post a table, but the formatting just stinks in here still.

Several points in here are interesting in general regarding change (or lack) of RMR.

The increase of Thermal Effect of Meals (Eating) was the interesting increase, despite eating half as much food during that test (1/6 calories), the group doing 6 meals daily had a higher TEM then those eating 1/3 their calories.

Interesting read I thought I'd share, as it seems some changes merely from meal frequency, if protein is high enough.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In.

Pretty sure Aragon/Krieger recently ran another meta analysis on meal frequency. I wonder if this one was included.

I do recall their conclusion was that there may be a small difference for obese people but when they remove 1 study the differences become meaningless and I wonder if this is the study.

Totally guessing right now -- I'll take a look later today if I have time. For now, in.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    There was an recent published article that compared people with different eating frequencies, and they found a significant difference in BMI (27 vs 29) in those who ate >6 meals per day and those who ate <3. Those who ate more meals ate fewer calories but a higher volume of food, with more fruits and veggies and less alcohol. It was super interesting!