Will levothyroxine help me lose weight faster?

Options

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Levothyroxine won't help anyone lose weight, just as hypothyroidism won't cause anyone to gain weight.

You do realize that one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism is unexplained weight gain?
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/basics/symptoms/con-20021179

I honestly thought I gained 35 lbs. for no good reason. Then I learned to log everything I eat and drink accurately and honestly—and saw that I was eating too much. I think Hashimoto's messed up my hunger cues.

I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever reached the "normal" range. I lost more slowly than most MFPers, but I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Levothyroxine won't help anyone lose weight, just as hypothyroidism won't cause anyone to gain weight.

You do realize that one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism is unexplained weight gain?
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/basics/symptoms/con-20021179

I honestly thought I gained 35 lbs. for no good reason. Then I learned to log everything I eat and drink accurately and honestly—and saw that I was eating too much. I think Hashimoto's messed up my hunger cues.

I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever reached the "normal" range. I lost more slowly than most MFPers, but I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

Yes, you can also starve yourself and lose weight. But, it's not exactly a good strategy for hypothyroidism and weight management.

Being hypo affects your metabolism, and one of those ways can be altering your calorie burn. So you're doing the same things and eating the same things and gaining weight whereas before you didn't -- that's unexplained weight gain.

Gaining weight because you're overeating and didn't realize it isn't the same thing. That's EXPLAINED weight gain. That's not a true symptom -- you just were in error. Two very different things.

Perhaps you're right in that your hunger cues were screwed up -- that could definitely be due to fatigue as one of the body's reaction to fatigue is to eat more. Or it could be due to a whole bunch of other things -- stress, lack of sleep, other deficiencies. So, that's definitely a possibility. But, either way, you're eating more -- and just didn't realize it.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is unexplained because patients aren't locked up in a room with every detail of their lives controlled. Hence the lack of scientific evidence.

Hypothyroidism is a factor, yes, but by no means is it a primary driver. It's a much of an excuse and you allow it to be.

Personally I believe the unexplained factor to be depression driven by hypothyroidism and the subsequent hormonal imbalance, but again the clinical studies are only in their infancy.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism has been known to cause depression since the late 1800's. Before 1960/70 people would be given natural thyroid and all became well when the level was "right for them". In all, hypothyroidism plays havoc with many of the body's systems it slows them. There's no one cause of hypothyroidism. There are are some 300 possible thyroid related symptoms many doctors don't even recognise the most common ones let alone the rarer ones and particularly in the female. Probably the longer standing the thyroid problem the greater the number of symptoms as the systems are challenged. Depression can be free standing as can all conditions.

We all know the rout of hysterical! Male ignorance, sorry, historically men were the only medics who looked for the principal difference between men an women and came up with the uterus as an explanation of all "women's ailments". Anyone with Hashimoto's or Graves, may well, (not to be assumed) may have other autoimmune problems going on too, then who knows what way they interact they may not even be diagnosed or diagnosable at this time. I really wish thyroid function and the endocrine system were as simple the the general public seem to think.

Simple and complicated cell replication and function even in the brain is dependant on adequate t3 levels, as does our circadian rhythm, toxin elimination, digestive transit sometimes with fluid retention (instant weight gain) to mention a few. When the t3 level is good from diet, medication usually t4, without complications, and other organs are synchronised, all works well.

The female reproductive system is fraught with problems which are taken as "normal" in society, when adequate thyroid medication is provided, as if by magic, regular 4 weeks and gentle is achieved. The contraceptive pill used for menstrual regulatory issues can upset many even more systems than the problem it set out to cure. Enforced hormonal changes without understanding the whole put additional strain on the thyroid. It is there in the science if you look.

The medical profession accept soy puts the thyroid under pressure they disagree on the extent and the degree of separation from the seed to cause problems. The cutting edge of science now recognise Maize starch as problem perhaps an antagonist to the thyroid. It is used as filler/binder in many common pills even the common thyroid ones, not in the hypo-allergenic varieties. Other foods can cause issues in the individual.

Quite simply having learned all this, I think, I may wish, I had been born a boy. I would have been saved so much frustration been told "live with it", told years ago at 38, I'm past it by a young male doctor too, as if I'd be dead soon. As a boy I would have had far fewer demands made on my thyroid etal. then add to the equation only 1 in 10 or so have thyroid problems. I accept male or female, if I have the DI02 gene mutation this would, it is possible with my family history be X2, this would increase the probability of 4-3 conversion being lower but there are also many many more reasons for this.

Thyroid problems are personal. What works for me will probably not work for you. I believe the afflicted person knows what is going on better in their body better than anyone else. If you are fortunate you will achieve good health sooner rather than like me very very much later and I'm still pushing at the frontiers of science, teaching my latest doctor, (lost count) as we go endocrinology department as we. So one has to do what works for you.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Weight gain is unexplained because patients aren't locked up in a room with every detail of their lives controlled. Hence the lack of scientific evidence.

Hypothyroidism is a factor, yes, but by no means is it a primary driver. It's a much of an excuse and you allow it to be.

Personally I believe the unexplained factor to be depression driven by hypothyroidism and the subsequent hormonal imbalance, but again the clinical studies are only in their infancy.

Weight gain is unexplained when no other factors change and people either gain or lose weight. Yes, it may not be scientifically precise, but if you're doing the same things that you've done before in terms of diet and exercise and then suddenly start losing or gaining weight -- that is unexplained weight gain/loss. You can see it in a myriad of situations -- with certain medications, with cancer, with liver and kidney problems and with hypothyroidism. That's why it's a recognized symptom.

I know it's convenient to think you have control over everything and so take a "this is an excuse thing", but it's very demeaning to people that have actually struggled with such issues. They aren't necessarily making excuses -- som may be but many are not. Their bodies have something abnormal going on. Sometimes it's hypothyroidism and sometimes that snowballs into a bunch of other issues. Just because you used it as an excuse doesn't mean that's the case for everyone else.

Here's a quick example -- there was a time when I was cutting well over 750 cals/day and not seeing any loss -- I was eating a good deal below even my BMR. The hard work was being done, but my body chemistry was off. Once I got that figured out (with a lot of trial and error with the doc), the weight fell off just as expected based on those calculations. There was no excuse. There was a legitimate issue that needed to be addressed. In may case, it was more than just thyroid, though my doc believed that was the primary cause that threw other things out of whack as he sees that with a lot of his thyroid patients (adrenal levels, vitamin D levels and insulin resistance specifically in my case).

Working harder isn't always the solution, especially if you're already working hard. Now, if you're just in error about that because you are overeating and not realizing it like Editorgrrl (and perhaps you as well), that's a whole other thing. But that doesn't mean that's the case for everyone else and it's very demeaning and dismissive to say such sweeping generalizations which are quite frankly just flat out wrong.

• ramsounds
    ramsounds Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The hard work was being done, but my body chemistry was off.

This is exactly what happened to me. I was an athlete (dance) who practiced three times per week with competitions on the weekends and gym class at school 5 days per week. So, lots of running, jumping, leaping, and bodyweight strength training. What actually tipped my doctor off to my thyroid condition was that I suddenly gained about 30 lbs in the space of one to two months with no change of activity level or diet. I got on levo pretty much immediately once that was noted, but it has taken me this long to find a good dose.

I will say that it took me a while to get over my pity party of, "Oh, the weight gain wasn't my fault per se, so I shouldn't have to work to get rid of it." I know that's ridiculous, but it's the way I thought. Now I acknowledge that it's not exactly "fair" because I was working my butt off and I still gained weight, but it's my responsibility to work with my body to get back in shape.

• CSARdiver
    Options

I know it's convenient to think you have control over everything and so take a "this is an excuse thing", but it's very demeaning to people that have actually struggled with such issues. They aren't necessarily making excuses -- som may be but many are not. Their bodies have something abnormal going on. Sometimes it's hypothyroidism and sometimes that snowballs into a bunch of other issues. Just because you used it as an excuse doesn't mean that's the case for everyone else.

I don't know where this is coming from, but you are reading far more into these posts than I have written.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I don't know where this is coming from, but you are reading far more into these posts than I have written.

It was due to your quotes such as:
    and

Those are simply incorrect. Unexplained weight gain is a known symptom, and for good reason, not for lack of patients being "locked up in a room with every detail of their lives controlled."

You also explained in another post (not on this thread) how you used it as an excuse when you gained 75 lbs and as soon as you stopped using it as an excuse, eating better and exercising, you lost the weight. That's great for you. But, it doesn't mean that it's an excuse for everyone else. For some, perhaps. For many, not at all.

• CSARdiver
    Options
    So semantic differences then? Levothyroxine (by itself) will not help anyone lose weight. Hypothyroidism (by itself) will not cause anyone to gain weight. As you say weight gain is an unexplained symptom, but not a clinical indicator.

Weight gain/loss is a balance of calorie in/calorie out, managed by metabolism, and impacted by several variables. The thyroid hormones (TSH, T4, T3, RT3) impact this at a cellular level, but the primary drivers are diet and exercise.

Clearly whatever I've posted caused you to get emotional - I meant no offense. Have a good life.

• Fuzzipeg
    Options
    Am I missing something here. What CSAR seems to be saying seems to be only half the story. That Thyroid hormones impact at a cellular level can not be disputed. What I'm in dispute with is what/how that cellular impact has on the related systems in some hypothyroid persons. The assumption is always, all treated persons have the right amount or the correct balance of replacement to ensure optimum, well-being in that subject. Much of what I read elsewhere indicates most hypothyroid persons principally Hassimoto's sufferers are on far from adequate medication. See Thyroid UK, STTM, Australian and Canadian sites and many many more.

Many of us females recognise the need to have a "normal" BMI, which means most of us have been stressing our bodies to be near or to comply with the media perception of acceptable femininity. Men until more recently have not been subjected to such pressures. For those of us with wider health issues Optimum personal medication should in our best interests. I have seen it suggested that t3 (from what ever medicinal starting point) needs to be in adequate volumes to produce a wave or few through the day, above the usual to bring wider relief when it can extend its range beyond immediate need functions.

CSAR. Now what do you suggest for those disillusioned persons who are desperately trying to loose weight as an indication that they value themselves, their medication is working and for whom rigorous calorie counting and activity to their personal level is simply just not working. Also it is insulting to suggest that living with a potentially life restricting problem is not impetus enough to be accurate in your accounting. It is disingenuous to conclude we all are deluding ourselves.
  • lindsey1979
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So semantic differences then? Levothyroxine (by itself) will not help anyone lose weight. Hypothyroidism (by itself) will not cause anyone to gain weight. As you say weight gain is an unexplained symptom, but not a clinical indicator.

Weight gain/loss is a balance of calorie in/calorie out, managed by metabolism, and impacted by several variables. The thyroid hormones (TSH, T4, T3, RT3) impact this at a cellular level, but the primary drivers are diet and exercise.

Clearly whatever I've posted caused you to get emotional - I meant no offense. Have a good life.
    Unexplained weight gain is a clinical symptom. Do you mean that it doesn't show up in blood tests?

I never said weight gain is an unexplained symptom -- I said unexplained weight gain is a symptom -- a clinical symptom. Did you just misread that or are you being intentionally obtuse?

Hypothyrodism by itself can cause weight gain -- that's why unexplained weight gain is a SYMPTOM. The difference tends to be that not everyone's under active thyroid is underactive at the same level and some manifest symptoms differently. I've had my thyroid problem for at least 15 years -- or that's at least when I first noticed symptoms. I only received medication in the last 2 years. Prior to that, my thyroid was affected, but I could still lose weight reasonably well as needed (I thought the up and downs in weight were due to stress, which is probably partially true). Then in the last 4-5 years, those same and increased efforts weren't working -- at all. Presumably because my thyroid function has become further impaired -- which was also indicated by increased severity of symptoms (including the weight gain issue).

Also, I think it's more than mere semantics -- our substantive differences are considerable. You think unexplained weight gain isn't as symptom and levothyroxine won't help you lose weight. It may very well help you lose weight -- if you're already putting in the hard work and not seeing the results due to low performing thyroid, as that impacts your metabolism. It just won't do the hard work for you -- but it may allow you to see the results of such hard work that you previously were not because of your low performing thyroid. You get that straightened out (in addition to any other potential issues) and the weight my come off just as expected. I had just that happen to me as have many others. You've obviously never struggled with that, so presume it doesn't exist.

The solution to an underactive thyroid and weight gain isn't to just keep cutting more and more calories. It's to get your system operating as it should, so that you can see the results of that hard work. Sure, if you're not doing any hard work, it won't help you lose weight (which appears to have been your and editorgrrl's situations). But that's not the same thing at all and is far beyond just mere semantics.

As for being emotional, I just don't like misinformation and demeaning attitudes. If that makes me emotional, okay, I'm good with that. At least you didn't opt for calling me hysterical.

• CSARdiver
    Options
    Lindsey - you're making a lot of presumptions of what I think and reading much more into these posts. You are not contradicting anything I've stated, but contradicting what you presume I think.

• CSARdiver
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Am I missing something here. What CSAR seems to be saying seems to be only half the story. That Thyroid hormones impact at a cellular level can not be disputed. What I'm in dispute with is what/how that cellular impact has on the related systems in some hypothyroid persons. The assumption is always, all treated persons have the right amount or the correct balance of replacement to ensure optimum, well-being in that subject. Much of what I read elsewhere indicates most hypothyroid persons principally Hassimoto's sufferers are on far from adequate medication. See Thyroid UK, STTM, Australian and Canadian sites and many many more.

Many of us females recognise the need to have a "normal" BMI, which means most of us have been stressing our bodies to be near or to comply with the media perception of acceptable femininity. Men until more recently have not been subjected to such pressures. For those of us with wider health issues Optimum personal medication should in our best interests. I have seen it suggested that t3 (from what ever medicinal starting point) needs to be in adequate volumes to produce a wave or few through the day, above the usual to bring wider relief when it can extend its range beyond immediate need functions.

CSAR. Now what do you suggest for those disillusioned persons who are desperately trying to loose weight as an indication that they value themselves, their medication is working and for whom rigorous calorie counting and activity to their personal level is simply just not working. Also it is insulting to suggest that living with a potentially life restricting problem is not impetus enough to be accurate in your accounting. It is disingenuous to conclude we all are deluding ourselves.

I'm only stating what has been reviewed clinically and not making any assumptions. Hormone research is in its infancy and we've only begun to tap into the complex interactions. Likely why so many are overdiagnosed with hypothyroidism, when the root cause is something else, such as a competing hormone.

I suggest you do whatever works for you. To get back on point with the thread - levothyroxine is but a small part in weight gain/loss.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Here's the OP:
    I just started taking levothyroxine for hypothyroidism and I already feel a difference in my energy level (it's been about a week). Should I expect to be able to shed some belly fat faster now that my thyroid will be "right"?

Synthroid & Cytomel reduce the fatigue, so I can be more active. But they had zero effect on my belly fat.

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn, so the key to my weight loss was learning to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. And where you lose is entirely determined by genetics. (My friend loses first in her ankles & breasts.)

@CindyScaccia It's been about six weeks now. How are you feeling?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    So many people being over diagnosed with Hypo/Hashi when its something else? That's a good one. Wish I could find the strength to laugh. What else might the problem be? so can inform the medical profession.

Self interest is insufficient motivator? I must remember that one. Continue battle with medical profession.

To the tread. No, levo probably won't help weight loss. It won't be your fault either. Have you read the list of contraindications? It simply might not suit you but will you be offered anything else? Probably not. How dare we have the temerity to need something more, be different, not fit into the designated box or other.
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    It is a known medical fact that people with hypothyroidism and treated effectively ( i.e. all levels correct, T3, T4, TSH AND THEY ACTUALLY FEED GOOD AND HAVE ENERGY). This can be upwards of 300 calories below a person without hypothyroidism for the same height, weight, age activity level. The medication does not put the metabolic rate back to where it was prior to the onset of hypothyroidism. I shudder to think what the metabolic is for those who cannot be treated effectively and there are many who aren't being treated effectively. More medical research needs to be done for those who do not feel well.
  • lindsey1979
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lindsey - you're making a lot of presumptions of what I think and reading much more into these posts. You are not contradicting anything I've stated, but contradicting what you presume I think.

I'm only responding to your words as written on this thread and others. Those are the only basis I have. I'd like to be able to read minds, but so far do not have that talent.

Perhaps you fail to understand the impact from the words you choose. You said hypothyroidism alone won't cause weight gain -- that it was an unexplained symptom and wasn't a clinical indicator. Your WORDS. No thoughts, presumptions or otherwise. All are incorrect, and I countered them accordingly.

• lindsey1979
    Options

Likely why so many are overdiagnosed with hypothyroidism, when the root cause is something else, such as a competing hormone...To get back on point with the thread - levothyroxine is but a small part in weight gain/loss.

Why do you think that thyroid disease is over diagnosed?

According to the American Thyroid Association, 20 million Americans have thyroid disease and they estimate a whopping 60% are unaware of it.

You seem to be spouting a LOT of misinformation -- to how thyroid disease is over diagnosed and proper treatment is only a "small" part in weight gain/loss. It really makes me wonder if you're attempting to intentionally mislead people.

• CSARdiver
    Options
    http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1748795

Many people are over diagnosed with hypothyroidism, where the true root cause is a completing hormone that is interfering with T3/T4. Hence why treatment with levothyroxine is ineffective with these individuals and they become frustrated.

I wouldn't know how ATA would make such an estimation - do you have the source study? There are currently over 90M prescriptions of levothyroxine in the US alone.

You can choose to believe that levothyroxine will drive weight loss if you want, but there are no clinical studies supporting that this outweighs simple diet & exercise.
  • lindsey1979
    edited June 2015
    Options
    http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1748795

Many people are over diagnosed with hypothyroidism, where the true root cause is a completing hormone that is interfering with T3/T4. Hence why treatment with levothyroxine is ineffective with these individuals and they become frustrated.

I wouldn't know how ATA would make such an estimation - do you have the source study? There are currently over 90M prescriptions of levothyroxine in the US alone.

You can choose to believe that levothyroxine will drive weight loss if you want, but there are no clinical studies supporting that this outweighs simple diet & exercise.

No one is arguing that diet and exercise aren't necessary or that medication outweighs it. I think the only point anyone is made is that it may be a NECESSARY part of the equation. That if your hypothyroidism is significant enough, diet and exercise alone won't be able to compensate for weight gain or difficulty losing/maintaining a healthy weight (in addition to a whole host of other symptoms and health effects). For those people -- and there are quite a few of us out there -- it is an absolutely necessary part of the equation. Just as diet and exercise are necessary parts of the equation.

If you are a person who's hypothyroidism is relatively mild, diet and exercise may be enough. But that's really going to depend on the individual. The solution to weight gain or inability to lose/maintain weight when coupled with hypothyroidism isn't to keep cutting more calories or just working out more (if you're already rather active) -- that can actually back fire and make things worse, not just in the thyroid, but in the adrenals and a whole host of other secondary effects and hormones. The solution is to get the right treatment AND eat well and exercise.

As for what I believe, I don't need to believe it -- I've seen the proof and results in my own life, which perfectly aligns with the science. Once I got all my hypo and accessory issues properly diagnosed and sorted out, all the hard work from my diet and exercise finally started to pay off and the weight came off. No need for belief. Just results. This isn't really that hard to understand.

As for the prescriptions -- where do you get that info? And are they prescriptions for 90M people or 90M prescriptions? Because my pharmacy takes my dosage and splits it up into 2 prescriptions because they don't carry a dosage that fits my numbers -- so I've got to get two separate bottles, one of big pills and one of smaller pills. And I've got to pay two co-pays, which is bogus. Although this is for nature-throid, I imagine the same could be true for the synthetics as well. And I know that some abuse thyroid meds -- like those in the fashion/film industry as well as some elite athletes. So I imagine that could inflate it somewhat, but likely not significantly.