race fuel

Options
i have been experimenting with different things during my long runs- getting ready for my 3rd half. i didn't use fuel during the other races. hoping the extra energy gives me a bit of a boost to hit a PB. i have tried jelly beans and dates. i felt both took way to much for to eat. this week i want to try some gels. what are peoples favorites. or other fuel you use!

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's a personal preference, some love one thing, others swear by another.

I too find the sport beans a bit too cumbersome to chew. I like the GU Chomps as I find them softer and quicker to chew to the point of swallowing. I can also carry the empty packet with me to the nearest trash can (or to the finish in my pocket) without any sticky issues like with gels. Although I see a lot of gel packets on the ground in races...I assume because people don't want to get sticky. So there is always that option if you choose gels (no chewing really necessary with those). I just prefer not to leave anything behind like that. Like I said, it's all personal preference.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I used GU for half marathons but found it upsets my stomach for anything longer. I'm now a Clif Shot fan -- they go down super easy and taste less chemical. They're made with rice syrup, which is easily digested. Shot blocks are good too but I find they take longer to kick in.

I've heard both good and bad things about Honey Stingers -- good because they're natural and lots of energy, bad because they are very high sugar and some people have cramping issues with them. I've also been known to take some watered-down Gatorade with me on long runs when it's hot out.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of different things, but I seem to have a cast iron gut. For marathons I will carry a gel with some caffeine to give me a little boost towards the end. Outside of that I will eat whatever they provide at the aid stations to include bananas, oranges, cookies. During the Des Moines Marathon I even stopped to enjoy a 4oz cup of Sam Adams. My only problem with the GU Chomps and jelly beans is they get stuck in my teeth and it is an annoyance. During cold weather runs these things can become difficult to chew as they get very hard.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    A half marathon is a distance where you probably can go the distance without any supplemental nourishment. I've done them both ways. And really the only reason I used any during a half is to test out my body response at the faster pace in prepping for a full marathon. I have settled in on a fueling plan for full marathons that seems to work.

I use Gu Gels because they don't seem to cause me any problems. My favorites are vanilla bean and salted caramel.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The "boost" is mental during a half. You don't need nutrition unless you have some kind of medical condition or are going to be out there for 2.5hrs +
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    45 minutes into a race effort is the rule of thumb from nutrionist. I like Hammer gel, the consistency and flavors work for me. I can tolerate Clif shots but they are a bit thicker than Hammer. I think Gu taste is revolting but I can keep them down in a pinch.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Could pull a @SonicDeathMonkey80 and eat McDonald's during a half =P

My one half (2012), I ate half of a Chewy bar and that was it.
    And this past summer, I started running with water for things over 8mi.
    So I'm not helpful lol
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    The "boost" is mental during a half. You don't need nutrition unless you have some kind of medical condition or are going to be out there for 2.5hrs +
    I agree with this. I don't generally fuel or hydrate during a half. I just keep moving. I think if I took the time to fuel, it would actually hurt my performance, but again, that's probably personal preference.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

This. Although I like to carry a caffeinated gel and usually suck it down around mile 9-10 for the caffeine boost. Regardless, it is not required. My most recent half I ran in 1:35 only taking water from aid stations. No in-race calories (I don't like taking cups of Gatorade from the aid stations as they inevitably splash my hands and I get all sticky)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I like the cliff shot blocks. I am not a fan of the GU gel however I did by accident find gel packs that were made by power bar. They didn't seem at thick as the GU gel. I will typically have one around miles 6-7 depending on how I am feeling. Some races I don't take anything at all and other races I feel like I need a little extra something. For me it took trying different things to find what works but as I just said sometimes even that is not 100%.

For example, I just did the SoCal RAGNAR. One of my legs was in the middle of the night. It was only 4.5ish miles but since I was running on little sleep I felt like I needed a little caffeine so I had one of those power bar gels with caffeine. Normally I would never use it for that few miles but I needed a little pick me up and coffee was not going to happen.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I like the Powerbar gels (strawberry banana, yummmm) with caffeine. I find them to be really tasty and palatable. Though if you've done two HMs without fuel, you probably don't need anything for this 3rd one. I don't find that gels do very much unless I'm actually depleting myself in a 16+ mile effort/marathon. I ran a HM yesterday and took a gel at 8 miles and mini-bonked afterward (for separate non-gel/race reasons).

I've also tried GU and Honey Stinger gels. I used to eat GUs when HM training in high school, but tried them again last summer and it did not sit well with me at all. I liked the honey stinger acai pomegranate when I tried it a couple weeks ago on an 18 miler, but it did sit a bit heavier than the powerbar gel and I felt a bit weird for .5 mile or so (but it was so yummy!).

SOOOOOO.... if you want to try gels, go to a running store, get a bunch that appeal to you and try them out knowing full well that they may have adverse effects. But you never know until you try! And you might end up trying something that works really well for you right off the bat!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I've liked the Honey Stinger chews. I tend to get easily and extremely nauseous during races of HM or longer, so I take something 4-5 miles in, then again around mile 8 or 9 (I split one packet of the chews). I normally don't eat or drink anything during training runs up to 12 miles, but found I can't do that during the races. I'm a slow poke, though, so my HM is still about 2.5 hours. I ran a 25km this weekend that took me just over 3 hours and the same fueling plan worked. As I start pushing past the 16 mile distance, I suspect I'll have to make adjustments.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I use Gu gels. I use Roctaine during a race (they taste icky but they are bionic) get a few and try them on your long runs prior to a race.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    Oh, also I've liked Honey Stinger chews in the past -- much easier to chew than the shot blox, I think. I stopped using them mostly because they didn't fit well in my gear (rear shorts pocket or water bottle pocket) and I had a nightmare vision on a run of me choking on one ;)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Could pull a @SonicDeathMonkey80 and eat McDonald's during a half =P

My one half (2012), I ate half of a Chewy bar and that was it.
    And this past summer, I started running with water for things over 8mi.
    So I'm not helpful lol

I wanted an ice cream cone, but the machine was off at 8am, so I settled for the breakfast biscuit :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I know I don't need it, I do get a mental boost from it (and maybe some caffeine depending on what I use) so I do it anyway.
    I don't mind Gu gels. I haven't tried other brands. I mostly stick with the fruity flavours but I have tried the salted caramel which I liked. Like I mentioned, I like the roctane ones.
    I've also done chews. I found the Cliff Shot Blox were too hard for me to chew and kept getting stuck to my teeth. I love the Gu Chomps, the blueberry/something flavour. I have also tried teh Honey Stingers which I liked as well.

Nothing bothered my stomach at this point.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    SOOOOOO.... if you want to try gels, go to a running store, get a bunch that appeal to you and try them out knowing full well that they may have adverse effects. But you never know until you try! And you might end up trying something that works really well for you right off the bat!

Also check out bike shops. I have a local Performance Bike store and they have Tuesday Lunch Hour sale where accessories, clothes, and nutrition products are 10% off. I pick up several types and flavors to try on long runs. Once I decide what I like I order a full box online.

I usually take a gel over about 1/2 a mile, so I prefer a thicker gel that won't run down the outside of the packet when I squeeze it up.

If you want something more solid the Honey Stinger Waffles are good. The Powerbar Wafers are dangerous during a run. They breakup into small crumbles that can be inhaled while chewing them.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Oh, also I've liked Honey Stinger chews in the past -- much easier to chew than the shot blox, I think. I stopped using them mostly because they didn't fit well in my gear (rear shorts pocket or water bottle pocket) and I had a nightmare vision on a run of me choking on one ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this nightmare vision! It could totally happen. I'll stick to liquids.

For HM fueling -- I think YMMV on this. My latest half was 2:15 and I do think a caffeinated gel midway through keeps me feeling good through the end. Maybe it's mental, maybe it's the caffeine. I agree that faster runners probably don't need it, though.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I suspect I might know the general answer to this (but maybe not). I just wanted to go ahead and ask it to get people's opinion is all.

I frequently hear statements like the following:
    - You don't need to refuel to run a half marathon.
    - You don't need to refuel unless your run is 2+ hours.
    - You don't need to refuel unless you run 20+ miles.

I frequently read the following advice on refueling strategies:
    - You should refuel on runs over 90 minutes.
    - If you need to refuel during a run you should take your first refueling by 60 minutes into your run.
    - You should refuel after that every 30-60 minutes.

Sure, I imagine some of that is to help sell more GU or something like that...but I do have to wonder what people really are trying to say as opposed to a boiled down comment.

I'm suspecting it is about time more than distance, but hey, I'm asking because I like to know many opinions.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    I suspect I might know the general answer to this (but maybe not). I just wanted to go ahead and ask it to get people's opinion is all.

I frequently hear statements like the following:
    - You don't need to refuel to run a half marathon.
    - You don't need to refuel unless your run is 2+ hours.
    - You don't need to refuel unless you run 20+ miles.

I frequently read the following advice on refueling strategies:
    - You should refuel on runs over 90 minutes.
    - If you need to refuel during a run you should take your first refueling by 60 minutes into your run.
    - You should refuel after that every 30-60 minutes.

Sure, I imagine some of that is to help sell more GU or something like that...but I do have to wonder what people really are trying to say as opposed to a boiled down comment.

I'm suspecting it is about time more than distance, but hey, I'm asking because I like to know many opinions.

I think it varies depending on 1) speed, 2) what distances you've trained up to, 3) personal preference. A few years ago, I couldn't imagine running a HM without a gel, but now I'm running these races 10-20 mins faster and have run twice as far, so now fueling isn't really necessary. Though I can't imagine not refueling for 20 miles! But maybe if I could run 20 miles 30-60 mins faster I wouldn't mind ;) Personally, I like to refuel when I go out for 2.25+ hours, and I never take a gel before mile 6 (or even 8) and then will take one every 4 miles or so (usually 4-5 gels in a full marathon).

I think also marketing makes people think they need gels, fuel, sports drinks, etc. more often than they really do. Did I really need to be eating 2-3 GUs during a HM when I was a tiny, fit, little 17 year old? Uh, definitely not. But the GU packets said so!