Last 8 pounds = murder

vivmom2014
vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
How do you combat frustration/lack of motivation? I am within 8 pounds, but this occurs to me: I've gotten to 142 before but couldn't (wouldn't) sustain it. So why get there again?

On the other hand, I can't *stand* working so hard - exercising 5 times a week and logging, logging, logging - only to find the scale won't budge.

I want to give up, and I don't want to give up. I want to weigh 142 and I think: but that's stupid, because you won't maintain it.

*rant over*

Replies

• katiepage77
    katiepage77 Posts: 2 Member
    I hear you sister. I'm within 8pounds and have been trying for two years...BUT I will say I am gradually learning to be healthy as a lifestyle, not just a diet. The recent mfp article on healthy snacks was a good one. And I am not giving up!!!!
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    I've lost it but gained back, though feeling frustrated, I'm now focusing on redefining, sculpting parts of my body that need a little bit more work. Saw a lot write up that building muscles may cause the up on the scale. As long as I feel that my pants are not getting tighter, in still going the right direction even though the scale is not moving.
  • vivmom2014
    Thanks for sharing that you are not giving up! I agree that the learning is gradual. It's going to take a while to undo a lot of ritual behavior (which, for me, includes getting discouraged and thinking it's just too much work & not worth it.) Frustration is part of anything worth fighting for. And yes to "as long as my pants are not getting tighter..." :)

Thanks for the positivity!!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    When I got to that place, especially when it seemed like I was spinning my wheels and going nowhere, Or even gaining, I set my goals for maintenance for about two months. First, it was good for my body to eat more for awhile. Second, psychologically I really needed a break. So, now I have gone back in with a better attitude, and a body more ready to work with me. During this time I also reassessed goals. Yes, I will keep working to remove fat from my mid section, but I no longer am stuck on a number weight goal. I am eating at a deficit and slowly losing, but I have also come to terms with the fact that my waist may be a bit thicker at 47 than at 21, and that working obsessively for the same measurements I had at 21 might not be the way to go! Am I giving up? Absolutely not. I am permanently on an improvement plan! But I've changed my mindset to look at overall health improvements over the long haul.

Message me if you'd like to hear my entire journey. Nothing spectacular, just real world everyday struggles.
  • vivmom2014
    I so agree, tigerblue, with assessing (or, reassessing) health/fitness for the age you ARE - and not what you used to be. But I also don't want to cave to the mindset of, "Oh I'm just old and creaky and menopause sucks and who's looking at me anyway?" because then it becomes an excuse (for me) to go berserk with chocolate and a self-pity party.

I raised my calories from 1700 to 1800. (I think maintenance for me is slightly higher.) Both are above what MFP told me (1650) to lose .5 lb a week. I had too much anger & frustration going over the MFP calories all the time. I also tend to go gangbusters with exercise to the point of obsession and burnout to get more calories. I will try 1800 for a while - yesterday I came in way under, so maybe it's a mental trick that will work.

Thanks for the responses & thoughts.

• jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    That's a good strategy, let your body and mind rest a bit on this obsession of doing it right. You will feel renewed after a short break, just remember to come back :-)
  • claris917
    claris917 Posts: 16 Member
    I can totally relate. The heaviest i got is 132 and i went as low as 105lbs. But now im at 110. And it's a struggle to maintain 105lbs.

You may want to try Carb cycling. I tried it cause i cant stand calorie counting and tropology. Carb cycling is easier and more filling. I started it at 113 and i consistently drop 2lbs everyweek. Then i reached 105. And life happens and i wasnt able to plan meals that follow the carb cycling principle.

But i think thats it. Try carb cycling and maybe train 3x a wk. Theres a bunch of science explainatiom as to why carb cycling works. Give it a try for you last 8 lbs.

I also do get frustrated but this just motivates me to go on and push harder. After the rant, ill still wake up and plan my workout and food. :)

You can do it. :)
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi:
    I was able to make progress through the last 5 pounds by weight lifting. Have you tried ?
  • vivmom2014
    I do a lot of cardio - Leslie Sansone got me back into exercising after a shoulder injury over a year ago. I do her workouts with weights (3 lb.) and have recently added the resistance band (which I am loving.) So, I'm sure that doesn't count as weight lifting. But I am fully committed to the DVD workouts at home, and sometimes run outdoors - not far or fast, but still.

All the "lift heavy" folks on MFP - I just know I can't do it. :'( Too many back injuries & arthritis issues, etc. It sounds like the greatest thing ever from what people say.
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    About seven years ago, I weighed my highest at 165. I got down to 135 for my wedding and have been working to maintain ever since. It hasn't been easy - the highest I have gotten up since was 149 and right now am at about 142. I would love to break the 130 barrier, and I feel like my body wants to do it, if I would only consistently commit to eating less.

I found this very inspirational post on Happy Herbivore yesterday (I am vegan): http://happyherbivore.com/2015/04/plant-based-diet-overeating-not-all-you-can-eat/
  • vivmom2014
    Thanks for the article link - very interesting! I'm vegetarian (pescatarian) since November 2014 (never get enough protein, but that's another story.)

I'm having a better time with the higher calorie limit (1800.) Haven't weighed myself this week since it's always disappointing, but I will do so on Friday and see what's what. Just being under calories each evening is a boost.

Go UVA! (husband graduated in 1985 :)
  • eileen1929
    eileen1929 Posts: 16 Member
    claris917 wrote: »
    I can totally relate. The heaviest i got is 132 and i went as low as 105lbs. But now im at 110. And it's a struggle to maintain 105lbs.

You may Claris want to try Carb cycling. I tried it cause i cant stand calorie counting and tropology. Carb cycling is easier and more filling. I started it at 113 and i consistently drop 2lbs everyweek. Then i reached 105. And life happens and i wasnt able to plan meals that follow the carb cycling principle.

Claris Iam so ignorant....What is Carb cycling? I have not heard the expression.
  • vivmom2014
    @eileen1929 here is a very short definition of it
    How Carb Cycling Works (from livestrong.com)

In carb cycling, your week is divided among three types of days: no carb days, low-carb days and high-carb days.

The challenge is to take in just the right amount of carbs -- at just the right times. It turns out that what carbs you eat -- and especially, when you eat them -- can drastically affect your body’s response to them. Through a process called carb cycling, you can manipulate carb consumption to maximize muscle growth while you minimize negative effects.

I don't think it's for me - I am not nearly disciplined enough to meticulously count carbs. But clearly a lot of people swear by it.

And, may I say, you are not ignorant! You are an inspiration!!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 649 Member
    I agree that it takes a long time and a lot of discipline. Maintenance calories for me are about 1550. That in itself is hard to sustain without some discipline. To lose on top of that is such a slow rate that it is hard to measue on the scale....it is really easy to blow a months progress in a 3 day weekend.

I am trying to mix up my exercise routine. I have no proof but it seems to help me.

The other thing I am doing better at is getting portion sizes right sized. I think that will be the key in the long term.