Dairy??

Options
MontanaNinja
MontanaNinja Posts: 9 Member
I am new to clean eating and wondering why dairy is not considered good? I have seen some high levels of salt in cottage cheese but what about sour cream, and some cheeses....?

I have also seen some posts saying to avoid protein powders. Can someone enlighten me on this one also. Thanks

Replies

• jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    From what I've noticed, the definition of eating clean varies from person to person. What one person might consider clean, another person might see as "dirty".

Personally, I plan to cut dairy from my diet once my whey protein runs out, only because I don't like the effect that dairy has on my skin (it exacerbates my keratosis pilaris). Other than that, I personally don't have an issue with dairy.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I seem to always act up with dairy,,, tho I love cheese with my wine, sigh,, and I have yogurt, but that is it,,,,,
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    We're the only species silly enough to continue drinking milk after infancy (and milk from another animal, mind you). If what jinna said is true and "clean eating" varies from person to person, then I'd say personally, I don't find dairy products to be "clean" at all, and we have absolutely no need for them.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't really see food in terms of being dirty - when I consider something "clean" it means it's food as it occurs naturally in nature.

As long as the ingredients to a product are all things that are recognisably foods I could go out and buy myself then I'm not bothered if the chopping, peeling, baking, grilling, boiling (aka processing) etc.. is done by me, or by someone else for convenience.

Milk comes out of a cow and is heat treated for hygiene and nothing added = clean
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't really see food in terms of being dirty - when I consider something "clean" it means it's food as it occurs naturally in nature.

As long as the ingredients to a product are all things that are recognisably foods I could go out and buy myself then I'm not bothered if the chopping, peeling, baking, grilling, boiling (aka processing) etc.. is done by me, or by someone else for convenience.

Milk comes out of a cow and is heat treated for hygiene and nothing added = clean

Sounds logical to me!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've never been a milk drinker so is was easy for me to switch to almond milk one the rare occasion I wanted cereal or something. I have not given up cheese though. I have switched to organic cheese and I no longer buy fat free or even reduced fat dairy anymore. The full fat versions have less ingredients so I just use less of it. As someone who has a pretty high protein intake, things like cottage cheese and Greek yogurt (the one fat free exception) make it easier for me to hit my protein macros.

Eating clean is a very personal thing and you have to do what works for you.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    The no dairy thing I think is personal preference. I have a Vegan MFP and she stays away from dairy. Though I'm not a milk drinker. I do love my yogurt every day. Makes my tummy happy. I need the good bacteria every day. I've tried the almond milk on cereal and I just don't like. I tried using coconut milk which I loved, but it has zero protein. That's one of my big problems getting enough protein in my day. I think what ever makes you feel good do it. Yogurt every day works for me. I occasionally have cheese, but very rarely. Not because it's dairy, but because the fat just about kills me. I have no gall bladder.
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options

I know what you mean. The words "clean" and "dirty" do seem kind of silly to me too, but when you use then, a lot of people know what you mean. Maybe "processed" vs "unprocessed" would make more sense, except that in the end, there will always still be debate, since people seem to love to argue details :tongue:
  • scubar17
    scubar17 Posts: 43
    Options
    I was the biggest dairy and egg lover you'll ever meet. Then earlier this year, I found out I have a severe food intolerance to both...I had no idea! But after giving them up for just 24 hours, my constant low-grade sinus headache went away and for the first time in years I could breathe clearly out of my nose; my adult acne cleared up, and I have so much more energy. It was the most amazing thing and as much as I loved all dairy, I feel so much better that I'll never go back.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I agree with food in as close of a natural state as "clean". We switched to raw organic milk this year. LOVE it. I make all of my own ice cream with it. I haven't yet tried making yogurt...but plan on it soon! What little research has been done states that folks with allergies/intolerance/sensitivities to pasteurized dairy can use raw without the effects. Just another option!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Where do you get raw milk?
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Where do you get raw milk?

Depends on where you live! In Michigan, you have to have a "herd share"....you can check out:
    http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/

HTH!