Dry bloodshot eyes

Anyone else experiencing this on keto? Also bruising like a peach :o

Replies

• Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Could you possibly be anemic?
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    I don't think so - I've never eaten this much red meat in my life! Going to get a magnesium supplement and see if it helps. Thanks for the reply :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I had the bruising problem at first, but the longer I eat this way, the more it goes away. Not the dry eyes. Are you getting enough water? Everything I read on Keto says minimum of 100 oz of water, period, more if you are heavy... But I'd still use the half your weight in pounds in ounces as a minimum...with the 100 oz as a goal. I think my bruising was related to the increase volume and quality of blood as my body adjusted to finally getting enough nutrients...
  • stevieedge2015
    I know part of me wants to blame it in keto, but tbh in wasn't really getting that many nutrients from a can of coke for breakfast, chocolate bar for lunch and toast etc for dinner. I'm surprised I don't have scurvy :o
    I'll up my water! And cut down on my caffine...see if that helps. Thank you!
  • KnitOrMiss
    I know part of me wants to blame it in keto, but tbh in wasn't really getting that many nutrients from a can of coke for breakfast, chocolate bar for lunch and toast etc for dinner. I'm surprised I don't have scurvy :o
    I'll up my water! And cut down on my caffine...see if that helps. Thank you!

Remember, too, that most of us have been in poor health for an extended time, so eating this way actually allows our bodies to repair themselves, and with any repair, sometimes things look worse before they get better. Sucks, but it's true. And I always have to remind myself exactly that!

I get a decent bit of caffeine, but yes, if you have having it in excessive amounts, I'd cut it down, otherwise, just get your water goal in, and add an extra cup of water for every cup worth of caffeine...
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Yes, dry eyes here. My contacts are torture devices! Even enough water doesn't seem to help!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Fish oil and/or flax seed oil might help your dry eyes.

If that doesn't work, try increasing your carbs a bit. Mucous is made out of glucose.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I'm 38, eat a ketogenic diet around 25 grams of carbs a day, had LASIK surgery, and do not have dry eye problems. If this is not a recent development, please see your optometrist as soon as possible, because dry eyes, particularly while wearing contacts, can cause permanent eye damage! (that is a lot of why I chose LASIK - the risk of permanent blindness was far less from the surgery than continuing to wear contacts!!!!_
  • stevieedge2015
    Oh are they contact lens implants? I've had them for 5 years with no problems and it only started with keto. Wabmester didn't know that - hmmm, other symptoms making sense now too,thanks!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Oh are they contact lens implants? I've had them for 5 years with no problems and it only started with keto. Wabmester didn't know that - hmmm, other symptoms making sense now too,thanks!

LASIK surgery is where they use a laser to alter the shape of your cornea in order to improve your vision. I've been happily without contacts for over a decade, and it is one of the best decisions I ever made for myself! EVER...
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    I can't wear the contacts when they are dry like that! So I dont!
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    I've done LASIK as well, you have to really give your eyes a good care right after surgery because the one side effect is dry eyes. I'm doing well right now but had bounds of dryness within first year, especially after using cell phone and computer. Couldn't stand lenses.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Anyone else experiencing this on keto? Also bruising like a peach :o

Not the dry, bloodshot eyes, but i am bruising ridiculously easy since going keto. I have no idea why. The outsides of my thighs are covered in leopard spot bruises just from holding 2 dumbells for my squats/lunges. The weights must have knocked against my legs, but the size, quantity and depth of the bruises look like ive been beaten with them :neutral: I wonder why this is?

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    I have always bruised easily, and now bruise even more.
    I also have dry eyes and recently was given a bunch of samples of eye drops from my eye doctor. I will try them.
    I drink 2 cups of coffee a day.
    I drink lots of water.
    I am eating more meat than I have in 26 years (was a seafood "vegetarian").
    One huge difference is less vitamin C. I need to go to the store and pick up a huge bag of frozen broccoli and another of spinach. Have to work that back into my rotation because I think trying to go "all meat and cheese" is maybe not agreeing with me. -_- Vitamin C apparently helps with bruising issues.

-T.