grannymayoz (and any other Aussies)

Options
kuranda10
kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
I would start weighing everything from Woolies (for those not in OZ, think Kroger, Giant, Safeway in the US).

First the tuna cans were 1/2 weight, now every bag of frozen veggies I have gotten (the Select brand) had been 50 to 60 g short.

and last week the almonds and other bagged nuts were all out of stock. Today they had them so I picked them up. Got home and found the bag is no longer 1 kg, it is 500g. OK, fine, until I checked my receipt. They are charging the same price for 500g that they were for 1 kg! $14.98 for 500g of almonds!

Oh yes, they got an email.

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!!! We've shopped a few times at Woolies lately because they gave me some flybuy offers, and their mineral water is *really* cheap. But David buys their mixed 'natural' nuts. He eats *massive* quantities of them too, so I shall check out what they've been charging, we do keep all of our dockets. Thanks Kuranda.

I worked for a year in the potato chip factory (40 years ago) and the home-brand products were always at least as good quality as any Name Brands. Woolies etc order such massive quantities that they set their standards high and their prices low. Looks as if the tables have turned - who knows when - and they're massively on the take now. Not good Woolies. Word will spread!
  • kuranda10
    Options
    The quality is still fine, but do not short change me on product. Not for the amount we pay for food here.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I hate to think what your prices are like, it's bad enough here in suburbia, though Perth is probably the worst city because of our isolation. Not counting poor Darwin, eeek! Roll on Aldi is all I can say. I've heard rumours we'll be getting our first this year and I hope it's not south of the river :D I shop IGA most of the time, it's walking distance from home and we get reward points for cash off.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    We are the end of the supply chain. We are so far north Aldi won't come here because it costs so much to get stuff here it won;t fit into their pricing structure :'(

At one point LIMES were $17.98 a kg!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    The road pretty well runs out north of you doesn't it? Love the loop that it does at Port Douglas! We hope to do the Grey Army one day and I was just looking at the road from Normanton to half way between Port Douglas and Mareeba, it looks really daunting for towing a caravan, but I guess thousands do it every year.

I guess it's too hot up there to grow your own citrus? Limes do get very pricey here at times, as much as yours, but the expensive time only lasts maybe 6 weeks or so and they can get down to around $7 (I think, off the top of my head).
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you were from Kuranda when I first saw your username. I'm born and bred near Townsville. My Dad used to travel to Kuranda to go fishing. It involved a lot of planning and preparation.

The prices in Northern Australia are ridiculous. As GrannyMay said, the more remote you are (and there is a lot of Australia that is remote) the higher the prices.