Cold all the time?

Options
InADarkRoom
InADarkRoom Posts: 84 Member
Is it normal to feel cold ll the time when aiming for keto? I'm feeling unbelievably cold and have done for a couple days now. Is it the diet or am I coming down with something?!

and by the way - I love you guys - you're always bags of help so thanks in advance! :smile:

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Hi IADR I've had the opposite problem and have been feeling hotter since going keto (all through the Australian summer, which hasn't been very helpful ;))

However, looking at your diary for 'so far Tuesday', and Monday you don't seem to be eating very much 'real food' if you'll excuse the term. Pepperoni, diet drinks and jellies, 'sandwich filler' (admittedly I don't know what that is). I eat pepperoni too, but in moderation. Your veggies are good, I'm not knocking that, but are you able to get some unadulterated protein like cuts of meat or eggs in there?

I can't see if you're eating enough calories because I have the 'don't show calories script' running for the April challenge, but it looks to me as if you may not be eating enough? Have you worked out your macro and calorie goals using a keto/LC calculator? keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

These are only my thoughts and you don't have to take them at all. Just giving my observations in the hope it may help you. I'm sure you'll get other advice too.
  • InADarkRoom
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I appreciate all advice so thanks for the input!

I'm a really fussy eater (unless it's carbs I'm chowing down on!) and hate eggs. I can't eat fatty meat as it makes me gag. I worked out my macros and am usually about right with them but most often under my calories. I find it quite difficult to eat my calories while staying within my macros. Who knew this could be so tricky!! Any ideas?

Oh and the sandwich filler - is basically chicken, bacon and mayo...
  • keybrdude
    keybrdude Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I notice the more fat I lose, the colder I am. I chalk it up to I having less insulation on my body. I'm happy about it!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I understand re fatty meat, I'm only just getting there myself with that. But is spreading butter on things an option? Cold and hard, or melted gives you 2 options to manage one of - hopefully? Or is there something you like butter on that can be added to 1 or 2 meals? I've seen somewhere that people mix heavy cream with any of... peanut butter, crushed nuts, a little sweetener (any other ideas you have) and have that as a snack to add some fat.

It won't be tricky forever, you'll get into the swing of it after a while. I struggled to keep within my macros to start with, often ending up with a meal to still have but zero allowance in one of the macros. Now it seems to happen automatically and I haven't had to manipulate stuff for ages now.
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    I never really think of adding butter to be honest - will have to give that a try. I don't even know if I like heavy cream! I know I don't drink milk. I'll have to buy some cream and give that a try too.

Thanks so much for the help :smile:
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    No worries o:)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I never really think of adding butter to be honest - will have to give that a try. I don't even know if I like heavy cream! I know I don't drink milk. I'll have to buy some cream and give that a try too.

Thanks so much for the help :smile:

Heavy cream can also be added to sauces & coffee, if you need help getting more in. :smile:
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    Heavy cream can also be added to sauces & coffee, if you need help getting more in. :smile: [/quote]

Does it not make the coffee all funky - like an oil slick?! (Forgive my ignorance!)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Nope, looks about the same as milk. Just richer.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Depends on your taste whether it's an oil slick but....I love it! I have to be careful not to put too much in!! :#
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    I usually take my coffee black with sugar. Since aiming for keto, I haven't had a cup of coffee. God I miss coffee! I'm definitely going to have to give that a go. Watch this space!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Do you like coconut flavour? Could you add a coconut milk and cream mix and build that up?
  • InADarkRoom
    Options
    Yes I do....great idea!! Thank you :smiley:
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Being cold is a symptom of low thyroid function and may not be related to low-carb lifestyle at all.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    keybrdude wrote: »
    I notice the more fat I lose, the colder I am. I chalk it up to I having less insulation on my body. I'm happy about it!

Yep. Me too. I'm wearing a jacket right now. lol! I used to ROAST in the summers. I'm looking forward to not having that problem. If you're cold, you can keep putting on layers. If you're hot, you can only strip so much till you're naked, and you'll get arrested if you run around showin' what your momma gave ya.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    More salt :) usually fix it for me.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I chalked it up to having lost weight. This is the lightest I have been for at least 14 years :-). I feel the cold a lot easier now.

Cream in coffee is delightful. I have 10mls in mine. I don't find it at all greasy.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am always cold now... but I am also down 80 pound of fat to keeping me warm.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @InADarkRoom, is your diary accurate? 800 calories for the past couple days? If so, your body may be trying to conserve energy. Take your body temperature and eat more.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat less I get colder. Also, if I eat or drink something cold it makes me really cold. No ice water for me or I shiver for an hour. It's always been that way even before Keto.