LCHF, PCOS & Facial Flushing

Options
EarthAmber
EarthAmber Posts: 20 Member
Quick summary of my situation:

Almost 30 years old; just started LCHF a week ago; keeping under 20g net carbs; I have PCOS and a butt-ton of food allergies and intolerances.

I've been doing really well, a restricted diet isn't new to me, but now that I've added in supplements (gummy form) and a protein shake in the morning for the past three days, my face has started flushing after consuming them. It freaks me out because, prior to starting LCHF, my face would always flush and get warm whenever I had too much sugar and I worry they are pushing me off track.

I searched through what I could in the forums and the suspects are:
Niacin. My shake does have 2% Niacin. No other sources. Is this even enough to cause hot flashes?

Hormones, since mine are b-holes already because of PCOS, and maybe the additional changes are causing hot flashes. Maybe?

Food intolerance. Reactions to the corn, soy, coconut, etc that are found in small amounts in the gummies. Before LCHF, small amounts didn't tend to bother me, but I have no clue now.

Are my sugar and carbs spiking too high for the first meal of the day? It's 8g net carbs and 4g sugar.

Any other ideas or do any of these seem likely to cause this issue? Or am I causing my body to freak out with the carbs and sugar?

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm going for the simple fix here.

If you quit taking them, does it still do it?

If so, try getting non-gummy vitamins as apparently something in them doesn't like you.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What are your protein shakes? How much sugar is in the gummies? Are they colored? Do either contain noncaloric sweeteners? Why is Niacin a suspect?

Take them both out for a couple of weeks or a month. Then, add one back at a time. Wait a week or so before adding the other. That way, you know which one is the problem.

Do you really need the protein shake? What's your protein goal, and what are the other things you're eating to meet that goal?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Protein shake? Can I ask why? Stick with natural foods if you can. Can you tolerate eggs?

Any nutrition in liquid form is going to force the body to deal with it pretty quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if you're getting a sugar spike somehow from that shake. If you're below 20g carbs, then your body is converting protein to sugar.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I also take the gummie vitamins (only ones I could find with no calcium) and last night noticed way too sweet (hidden sugars?). I've only been LCHF for 2 wks, but am definitely going to quit them.
  • EarthAmber
    Options
    Thanks for responses!

The shake is a solution to breakfast I'm not allergic to that I can pack the night before, really no other reason. It's Garden of Life Organic Plant Protein Smooth Coffee mixed with unsweetened cashew milk. With it, my protein has been around 35% of my calories I believe.

The gummies have 4g sugar all together. And they are kind of like putting pills in peanut butter to get your dog to take them- I'm a lot better about it because, ya know, they're tasty. I have concerns with all the foods I have to avoid with my allergies that I'm not getting everything I should. I can switch to non-gummies though.

Allergic to eggs.

Niacin is just something I read in some discussions as having the side effect of face flushing.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Niacin definitely has a flushing effect -- more on an empty stomach. But I suspect you'd need a higher dose of it for the effect. Try eating something else before your protein shake infusion.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Niacin definitely has a flushing effect -- more on an empty stomach. But I suspect you'd need a higher dose of it for the effect. Try eating something else before your protein shake infusion.

Niacin does it to me every single time too. I have pcos and food allergies too but I dont know those make a difference much with the flushing. But Niacin! OMG i feel like im on fire and look like I got sunburn in my face for a good couple hours.
  • EarthAmber
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

Niacin does it to me every single time too. I have pcos and food allergies too but I dont know those make a difference much with the flushing. But Niacin! OMG i feel like im on fire and look like I got sunburn in my face for a good couple hours.

Thanks wabmaster, easy enough to try out.

Whoa! Yeah mine lasts a couple hours too. Do you avoid it?
  • Twibbly
    Options
    A known but rarely talked about phenomenon in the gluten-free community is that when you start removing the things you react to the worst, your body starts telling you what else it doesn't like, sometimes rather loudly.

I started with no gluten. Now I'm at no gluten, no oats, no almonds, no sweeteners but very small amounts of honey and coconut sugar, and there may still be more to uncover.
  • EarthAmber
    Options
    I feel your pain. When I got tested, my allergist actually said, "Well... this is quite bad. I feel sorry for you." Guy sees people with food issues all day long and mine made him sad. For me that I can remember, no gluten, wheat, soy, whey, dairy, eggs, chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, sesame seeds, watermelon, oranges, coconut, peanuts, almonds, corn, oats, barley, yeast, malt, rye and asparagus.

With LCHF I would be buttering and cream cheesing everything if I could.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Oh, there's more things I react to on an allergy test. Those were just the big ones that they told me to quit eating.

Lots of food allergies may also be indicative of s leaky gut and/or digestive issues.
  • Alliwan
    Options
    EarthAmber wrote: »

Yes, I try to avoid it. Or keep low amounts in the vitamins I take.

I have lots of allergies too. Food are all nightshades but potatoes, so allergic to tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, paprika, any thing that says it includes 'spices' which is in most hot dogs, brats, sausages, etc. I have wheat issues but gluten seems to be ok, so I can eat oats. But I am allergic to 'fragrance mix' which is in almost everything, lotions, face creams, face wash, makeup, cleaning products, some toilet papers, tampons, etc I am also allergic to something in hair dye but I can avoid that. I am also allergic to every single pain medication Ive ever tried, so now I have to have my surgeries without any follow up pain meds. I have trouble with anesthesia, allergic to stitches, the glue they use, all the tape they use including the paper tape. And I have asthma which is closely related to allergies.
  • EarthAmber
    Options
    EarthAmber wrote: »

Yes, I try to avoid it. Or keep low amounts in the vitamins I take.

I have lots of allergies too. Food are all nightshades but potatoes, so allergic to tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, paprika, any thing that says it includes 'spices' which is in most hot dogs, brats, sausages, etc. I have wheat issues but gluten seems to be ok, so I can eat oats. But I am allergic to 'fragrance mix' which is in almost everything, lotions, face creams, face wash, makeup, cleaning products, some toilet papers, tampons, etc I am also allergic to something in hair dye but I can avoid that. I am also allergic to every single pain medication Ive ever tried, so now I have to have my surgeries without any follow up pain meds. I have trouble with anesthesia, allergic to stitches, the glue they use, all the tape they use including the paper tape. And I have asthma which is closely related to allergies.

Good. Lord. Yeah I have allergy-induced asthma.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    any thing that says it includes 'spices' which is in most hot dogs, brats, sausages, etc.

Do you suppose that's MSG? Do you know how you react to foods that actually admit to containing it?
  • Alliwan
    edited April 2015
    Options
    any thing that says it includes 'spices' which is in most hot dogs, brats, sausages, etc.

Do you suppose that's MSG? Do you know how you react to foods that actually admit to containing it?

I doubt it. If you look up 'nightshade allergy' online, it is mostly self reported stomach issues, feeling flu like, etc. I have a strong physical reaction. My lips and the skin surrounding my mouth break out like I am a newly turned zombie. They are scaly, and bleeding and red and burn and itchy and split wide open. It is horrid and takes almost a week to go away.

Ive been thru the process of elimination, narrowed it down to nightshades except potatoes, but ive learned the hard way to read labels. I think I'll be doing well and all of a sudden wake up one morning all broken out and looking scary as heck. Thankfully with MFP i can go back and look at what I ate.

Did you know Velveeta had paprika? I didnt till I ate some thinking it was just cheese and turned zombie.
    Did you know ranch had nightshades? I didnt till I ate some thinking YAY LCHF dressing and turned zombie.
    Did you know curry and most mixed spices had peppers or paprika in them? I didnt till we tried some and I turned zombie.

If it was a tummy upset thing or heartburn or something like how i feel when i eat wheat then I might look at MSG but the mouth outbreak thing if I even kiss a bell pepper or my husband after he ate one is pretty telling.

Unfortunately nightshades are not listed as an allergen on packages like wheat, eggs, soy, etc is. So I have to stand there reading each and every ingredient to make sure they dont contain any of the long list of nightshades. Really hoping one day this changes.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see the aspect of spices you were referring to, that makes sense!

Luckily peppers aren't great kissers! :D