A possibly very stupid/silly question

YukiBuns
YukiBuns Posts: 45 Member
I was wondering is it fine to use Grapefruit and Lemon ingest-able essential oils?
I heard that a few drops in water 'may' aid weight loss. So I was thinking of trying it out along with Keto. Has anyone else tried this or would it be bad to use on a Keto diet? Thanks!

Replies

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Have not tried those oils, but I add lemon juice to my water every morning before I eat anything. I also add apple cider vinegar to my water before I eat dinner.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Oil is generally all fat and zero (or very few) carbs.
    Because the quantities you'd be ingesting are so small, I think you'd be ok regardless.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    The only stupid questions are the ones that go unasked! :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    YukiBuns wrote: »
    I heard that a few drops in water 'may' aid weight loss.

nope
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    From a Keto standpoint, it should be fine. Ingesting essential oils shouldn't be taken lightly though, as they'd be many times concentrated compared to what you'd get in the fruit. Just make sure to do your research (somewhere other than the MLM distribution companies) and watch for any adverse effects.
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Twibbly wrote: »
    From a Keto standpoint, it should be fine. Ingesting essential oils shouldn't be taken lightly though, as they'd be many times concentrated compared to what you'd get in the fruit. Just make sure to do your research (somewhere other than the MLM distribution companies) and watch for any adverse effects.
    Yes, this. I've seen case reports of people who used lemon essential oil internally and had things like esophageal erosion and ulcers... Quite honestly the citrus oils are super potent, I have personally seen them melt a hole in a plastic cup, so I don't think I would drink them. Plus, they aren't water-soluble, so they won't actually mix into water and be diluted...
  • YukiBuns
    Well thank you for your advice. I will only be taking 1-2 drops of them a day and also applying them topically through oils like olive oil and stuff. I won't use it every day since I know the risk of ulcers and I wouldn't want that happening. But it's good to know that I can use it somewhat in my routine every now and then. Once it arrives in the mail and 2-3 weeks pass by I'll probably post another thread on if it does actually help me out or if I see any difference, whether negative or positive with them so it may help others out who may be considering the same thing.
  • YukiBuns
    itcphotog wrote: »
    Have not tried those oils, but I add lemon juice to my water every morning before I eat anything. I also add apple cider vinegar to my water before I eat dinner.

Oh, why Apple Cidar Vinegar? I have two big things of them in the house but I usually use it for other reasons. Any reason to add it to a daily diet routine?
  • KnitOrMiss

Oh, why Apple Cidar Vinegar? I have two big things of them in the house but I usually use it for other reasons. Any reason to add it to a daily diet routine?

There are a lot of probiotic reasons and it is said to "turn on the fat burners." I know it helps with folks with chronic heartburn. I'm sure someone will post a more comprehensive link/response...
  • YukiBuns
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

There are a lot of probiotic reasons and it is said to "turn on the fat burners." I know it helps with folks with chronic heartburn. I'm sure someone will post a more comprehensive link/response...

Interesting. Thank you for telling me this. I'll look more into it. it's always nice to learn new things!
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Interesting how there is so much out there on "do this and this will happen", drink vinegar, use essential oils, take magnesium, take krill oil, have a glass of red wine a day, take aspirin, don't take aspirin, etc etc until eternity. It's interesting how no one ever thinks about these things in conjunction with each other. Like, doing something every day might be good for one thing, and bad for something else. Or combined with something else you do every day it may cancel out the effect, or have a negative effect rather than a positive one.

And how MUCH of these things? What is a recommended dose? It is seldom based on height, weight, age, metabolism, hormone levels, what else you eat, how much you're already getting from other sources.

I'm a big believer in keeping it simple. I don't add things (supplements) unless they are to address a specific problem.
  • KnitOrMiss
    shai74 wrote: »
    Interesting how there is so much out there on "do this and this will happen", drink vinegar, use essential oils, take magnesium, take krill oil, have a glass of red wine a day, take aspirin, don't take aspirin, etc etc until eternity. It's interesting how no one ever thinks about these things in conjunction with each other. Like, doing something every day might be good for one thing, and bad for something else. Or combined with something else you do every day it may cancel out the effect, or have a negative effect rather than a positive one.

And how MUCH of these things? What is a recommended dose? It is seldom based on height, weight, age, metabolism, hormone levels, what else you eat, how much you're already getting from other sources.

I'm a big believer in keeping it simple. I don't add things (supplements) unless they are to address a specific problem.

HOOAH!!!! I love this so much. And yes, the old wives tales do hold true in many cases, but it does get ridiculous and complicated!!!! And having been a larger woman for most of my adult life, the whole recommended dose based on height and weight... How is it possible for me to achieve the same blood saturation levels as someone a 1/3 of my size? Add to that metabolism burn rates. At best, most medicines last 3/4 of the intended time due to some genetic thing on my dad's side... I have to use triple the normal dental numbing stuff or I'll have nerve pain minutes into the dental work... It's crazy.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

This has links to some of the studies on it: http://authoritynutrition.com/6-proven-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/

I add just a bit to my water sometimes because it adds a little flavor to it.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    I've heard it can help lower blood sugar...but I didn't find it to be so with myself - of course YMMV.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member

Vinegar and Insulin Resistance

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet