Testosterone Levels and Weight Loss?

Options
gquesnelle
gquesnelle Posts: 206 Member
Just curious if any of our bigger losers have ever had their testosterone levels measured before and after losing a bunch of weight. I'm having some weird issues with my body right now, and am currently waiting to see my Doc.

However, Males my age 15-25 who are overweight apparently have very little testosterone, wondering if anybody has anything to say about this or anything they can share about this.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Excess fat has been shown in studies to reduce testosterone. At your age, I’d recommend finding a good eating plan (cut carbs, moderate protein and fat) that puts you at a slight calorie deficit. Then lift heavy weights (strong lifts). The lifting will boost testosterone, which helps fat loss, which helps testosterone, which helps lifting... Great cycle. Oh, to be young and have the knowledge I have today. Please, commit, get educated, and start lifting!
  • gquesnelle
    Options
    And that's exactly the reason I'm on here!

I'm doing a low carb/moderate protien/moderate fat diet, and will totally start lifting.

I am committed to this, and I'm in it for the long haul.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    gquesnelle wrote: »
    And that's exactly the reason I'm on here!

I'm doing a low carb/moderate protien/moderate fat diet, and will totally start lifting.

I am committed to this, and I'm in it for the long haul.

Outstanding!

• gquesnelle
    Options
    You're looking pretty good in your picture Allan, whats your lifting routine?
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Weights - twice a week
    Predominantly 5 x 5 x 5
    Squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows (or pull ups), and standing overhead press
    Heavy weight, for five sets, up to 5 reps (I’m often at 3 or 4 on the fifth set)
    Resting 3 minutes between sets on squats and deadlifts, 2 minutes on bench and rows, 90 seconds on overhead press.

50/30/20 - Fat, protein, carbs (very low sugar)
    Creatine, fish oil, multivitamin, etc.