Yoghurt Carbs

Jubjubness
Jubjubness Posts: 7 Member
What is everyone's thoughts on yoghurt.

I love yoghurt but the carbs in it are more than I expected, I guess it is from all the added sugar.

The only yoghurt I can find in the shops that doesn't have added sugar is a very expensive brand, and is very plain.

Do any of you eat yoghurt?
If so what types.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Most of us can't have yogurt for the carbs, but get a full fat unflavored yogurt and add berries and stevia or something too it...maybe vanilla? You can make your own yogurt, too, and @dragonwolf can tell you more. I know you need a starter culture and full fat milk/cream... I don't remember a whole lot about the process.

That being said, I make a gelatin/sour cream/double (heavy) cream fat bomb that tastes a lot like the tangy yogurt flavor. And it's really low carb comparatively.

Is your yogurt choice for convenience, flavor, macros, what? We can help make suggestions to help with any of those. And a smaller portion paired with other full fat items is good too.
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    I miss yogurt. Even plain yogurt is high in carbs, because of the carbs from the milk. I used to make my own and strain it to make it Greek style, and I've heard you can make it with half & half or even cream to make it less carbs but haven't tried it yet...
  • Jubjubness
    Jubjubness Posts: 7 Member
    Hey, thanks. I might look into the easiyo yoghurt maker. I think they may have plain yoghurt, then I could make my own....

I haven't tried to make a fat bomb yet. Would you mind sharing your recipe for that one? I would be interested in trying it.

Yoghurt is my convenient breakfast choice, it has been for years. I tend to keep a whole tub in the work fridge for my breakfast lol. I have been keeping relatively low carb except for the yoghurt recently. (only started 2 weeks ago)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I used this site to learn how to make yogurt -- http://www.makeyourownyogurt.com/

It's pretty easy -- heat milk or milk/cream mixture, add starter yogurt (you can use your favorite store brand, but try to get one without fruit or whatever in it), keep heated at the culturing temperature, let sit for up to about 24 hours.

The longer you let it ferment, the tangier it will get and the less sugar it will have, because the more the cultures will eat the lactose.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    There are recipes to make your own yogurt, if you like it that much look into making your own, might be worth it.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,073 Member
    I buy a high fat (11% BF) plain Greek yogourt, and only use a small amount at a time, with a small amount of berries and a bit of stevia sweetened protein powder. It does cost more than the low fat sugary yogourts, but it is way better and a little goes a long way to satisfying my craving for something smooth and sweet.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Can you get dannon light and fit greek? It's something like 8-9 carbs per serving, and it's flavored(peach, blueberry, strawberry). Not the best in terms of fat content, but decent enough for breakfast, perhaps paired with a BPC or a couple fat bombs.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I use the dannon plain tubs cheapest at target. But real good ones ate chobani or fage when on sale. I don't know carb wise its about 8 to 10 g per 1 cup. I like the 100 cal serving ones.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    I use the dannon plain tubs cheapest at target. But real good ones ate chobani or fage when on sale. I don't know carb wise its about 8 to 10 g per 1 cup. I like the 100 cal serving ones.

I get the Chobani or Fage plain Greek yogurt too, but my weight loss stalled while I was eating it so I stopped. I'm going to try again, because my stall could have been something else, but I'd like to be sure I'm back on track fully first.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    edited May 2015
    I get raw, whole, full fat milk from a local farmer. heat to 120F to kill any baddies in there, and then add my probiotic culture after it comes back down to 90F. I got it online, and add 1/4-1/2 tsp as my starter. Its supposed to culture non dairy milks as well, but I've had epic failures with that. I am going to try it with coconut milk again though. Then enzyme structure is different though so it gets a little weird. I also add powdered full-fat cream to my yogurt (pre-fermentation), so its more greek-like and a little fattier, and let it roll in my yogurt maker overnight. nice and thick and tangy and delicious. I only have it occasionally though...usually only when I crave it, because of the carbiness.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    for REAL, unsugared full fat yummy yogurt: Bulgarian* style, or one full fat version by Stonyfield. the taste is amazing, no additives like thickeners, sugars, colors, etc.

*Bulgarian yogurt makers crack me up…Here they are, thinking about what product could they could possibly export to the USA that will be VERY popular, but is not sweet, low fat, doesn't t have added candy or fruit in it and costs twice as much?? Why not plain boring unsweet yogurt that is nothing like desert? Smart guys, eh? And they live past 100 too
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,332 Member
    I can't eat yogurt any longer because it bumps my blood glucose levels. I used to eat Fage full fat plain (Dannon, Yoplait, Activia etc... are just processed junk food disguised as something healthy) or made my own. I also made Creme Bulgare (you need to Google that). It was delicious but I still had glucose bumps so gave it up. Even goat's milk bothered me for some reason despite no casein proteins. Not sure what is up with that.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Surprisingly, Walmart's Great Value Whole Milk Greek Yogurt Plain is made from just whole milk and active cultures. I like both the flavor and the "mouth feel."
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Here is the jello recipe. To make it not fruity but like vanilla yogurt, use unsweetened gelatin powder, add vanilla, and a tad of sweetener. It would taste more like basic yogurt that way. If you want to creamy and less solid like jello, use less gelatin. This is about the consistency of the "thick and creamy" yogurts.

This easily keeps for a week in the fridge. You might have a little water separation after it sets, but you can either pour it off or mix it in when you eat it. I try to use single serving containers so I don't have to weigh it each time. This could easily be tweaked a lot of ways. You could put fresh berries in it, or use fresh berries made to a puree instead of the instant powder stuff to get the fresh real taste like yogurt. That would up the carbs a little, but using it judiciously would be reasonable.

RECIPE: Jello Fat Bombs
    UPDATED TO INCLUDE METRIC CONVERSIONS to be best of my abilities, with google at my ready.
    I know most people aren't fans of the artificial sweeteners, but I found my new favorite fat bomb, tweaked my way. It is a creamy, custardy, dense mousse like pudding that just makes me SUPER happy.

Jello Fat Bombs
    Ingredients
    1 package of sugar free gelatin, your flavor choice (peach is my current fave) - (0.30 oz/8.5 g)
    1/2 packet (approximately 1.5 tsp) of unflavored gelatin (I used Knox out of habit) (each packet is 0.25 oz/7 g - so this is 0.125 oz/3.5 g)
    2 cups boiling water (per gelatin instructions, instead of one part boiling, one part cold, I use both boiling to dissolve the extra gelatin. Apparently, this is 470 ml (rounded), I'm sure UK packages are set up to be a better calculation for y'all)
    1 cup full fat sour cream (240 ml)
    1 cup heavy whipping cream (240 ml)
    1 packet stevia sweetener (to taste, optional - this took off the sour cream edge for me) (each US packet is 1 g)

Directions
    Boil water. Dissolve both gelatins completely. Stir at least 2 minutes.
    Stir in and fully in corporate sour cream. (I use a whisk, but this could be done in a mixer, by hand, whatever.) Mix at least 2 minutes. (Btw, all the mixing keeps it from separating later)

Whip in heavy cream. You could just stir it in, but I like the little bit of mousse like texture it adds. Again, stir at least two minutes.

Pour into 4 portions, approximately 1 cup each (240 ml / slightly larger if whipped). Refrigerate until firmly set.

Recipe in MFP Shows as:
    331 calories, 32 grams fat, 4 grams carbs/net carbs (no fiber), 4 grams protein

FULL DISCLOSURE - the original recipe does not have the added unflavored gelatin, but it set too soft for me. Also, it did not add the sweetener over the jello sweetening, but the sour cream "bite" was off-putting for me (I'm not a fan of it straight at all), so adding that little bit of sweetness took the edge off, and it is still far less sweet than my old sweets! :) And this works fabulously for those who can't afford other fats sources - or who just need an awesome satisfying snack with staying power that kills the sweet tooth, but without all the sugar! :)