Full-body vs Parts Training

Options
nossmf
nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
For the past several months I've been doing full-body training, doing supersets with chest/back, legs/shoulders, alternating heavy and light days. I like being able to lift each body part twice per week despite only lifting twice per week, and the results have been good.

This week I'm on vacation, so with extra days to hit the gym I decided to do a chest-only day, a back-only day, legs-only, etc. Instead of just 1-2 exercises per body part, I'm knocking out 5 per.

Very quickly rediscovered something I'd forgotten: a muscle gets tired. Doing only two chest exercises per day (bench press and DB press, for example) I can go full-out, super-heavy. But I could feel fatigue beginning during my third chest exercise, and by the time I got to my fifth I was using barely more than HALF the weight I'd originally projected.

Chest was yesterday, and while I can definitely feel I worked it hard I'm not sore, so that's a good sign for having worked back today and legs tomorrow. But not only was it good to hearken back to training I had to abandon a while ago, but to remember old lessons hard-earned.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was dedicated leg day. I've grown used to only doing 2-3 leg exercises per day, so yesterday was a blitz to be sure:

Leg extensions
    Squats (both heavy at 5x5 and a couple lighter sets at 20 and 50 reps)
    Bulgarian Split Squats
    Romanian Deadlift
    Hack Squat (heavy) & Hack Squat Calf Raises
    Leg curls

It's been a long time since I walked around this hobbled the morning after a workout. It's a sensation both gratifying and...for lack of a better word, ouch, lol.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Yesterday was dedicated leg day. I've grown used to only doing 2-3 leg exercises per day, so yesterday was a blitz to be sure:

Leg extensions
    Squats (both heavy at 5x5 and a couple lighter sets at 20 and 50 reps)
    Bulgarian Split Squats
    Romanian Deadlift
    Hack Squat (heavy) & Hack Squat Calf Raises
    Leg curls

It's been a long time since I walked around this hobbled the morning after a workout. It's a sensation both gratifying and...for lack of a better word, ouch, lol.

Sets of 20 and 50 squats?.......

???