Bad day!

Options
cassandrag93
cassandrag93 Posts: 825 Member
I started low carb on Monday, today while we were out shopping I totally gave in and exceeded my carb max. (20 net carbs is my max) I am super disappointed that I wasted 3 days trying to tap into ketosis just to lose it on a famous daves BBQ sandwich and Mac n cheese :(

Any advice? I feel like giving up now since I ruined it.

Replies

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    One meal or one day does not a disaster make. There will be times when stuff happens. That's a part of life, a part of adapting. Sometimes we don't get it exactly as we would like or as we plan to.

It's one day. Leave it, don't worry about it and start again from the next meal. Keep Calm and Keep Going. Rinse. Repeat. ;)
  • cassandrag93
    Options
    I am bummed out I really want to stick to it, I find it hard especially when I'm out and everyone is eating carbs. Will it take another 3-5 days to get back into ketosis fat burning stage? Since I'm assuming my last 3 days are just tossed out the window now :/
  • cassandrag93
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    One meal or one day does not a disaster make. There will be times when stuff happens. That's a part of life, a part of adapting. Sometimes we don't get it exactly as we would like or as we plan to.

It's one day. Leave it, don't worry about it and start again from the next meal. Keep Calm and Keep Going. Rinse. Repeat. ;)

Thank you for the kind words! I definitely need them tonight, I feel guilty! Lol
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    after 3 days you are nowhere near real "nutritional ketosis" it takes most women 2-3 weeks to 2 months to really be in constant Keto mode and fat burning. And while there is no answer for the mac n cheese you could have not eaten the bread..just the BBQ meat…. many of us,in a pitch when food is needed, vista any fast food joint and get a double CB with bacon, mayo, lettuce, etc..and just TAKE off the BUN and not eat it, and ask for the sauce to be eliminated. ALWAYS travel with a pocket pouch of macadamia/brazil/almond nuts, or a couple string cheese sticks. you plan, and you win.
  • kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    trust me, you will be fine. I agree that one meal does not a disaster make. when i started i was doing really good for about a week and then it was my anniversary and I kinda went to town on a pizza and soda and whatever else I seemed to think I needed to eat for the 3 days following my anniversary. I realized I needed to get my but back in gear and I have lost 21 pounds so far. Don't stress. Just chalk it up to a bad day and do better tomorrow :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I started low carb on Monday, today while we were out shopping I totally gave in and exceeded my carb max. (20 net carbs is my max) I am super disappointed that I wasted 3 days trying to tap into ketosis just to lose it on a famous daves BBQ sandwich and Mac n cheese :(

I did that for the first two months of trying to go low carb because I was so addicted. I finally go so ticked I just with carbs cold turkey and have been off them for seven months now.

You are three days closer to pulling off going low carb than 99.999999999999% of people. Did you drive perfectly the first time that you drove a car? :)

• cassandrag93
    Options
    @GaleHawkins 7 months with low carbs/no carbs?! That's a wonderful achievement, congratulations. I understand what you all are saying, it takes time to completely be okay with not wanting to drive into a pizza box or chug every soda or sugary beverage you see. I guess I just beat myself up, I have been trying to break the 200s since December. Thank you, I will continue on the path and try better!
  • cassandrag93
    Options
    trust me, you will be fine. I agree that one meal does not a disaster make. when i started i was doing really good for about a week and then it was my anniversary and I kinda went to town on a pizza and soda and whatever else I seemed to think I needed to eat for the 3 days following my anniversary. I realized I needed to get my but back in gear and I have lost 21 pounds so far. Don't stress. Just chalk it up to a bad day and do better tomorrow :)

Pizza is so hard to resist! Congratulations on losing 21 pounds, that's awesome work and takes dedication. Can't wait till I get there, I will try better tomorrow :) Thank u.
  • kleighsamboer33
    Options
    Thanks :) You will get there! I have so much more to lose so I know how hard it can be to stay motivated and to not just throw in the towel.
  • cassandrag93
    Options
    @kleighsamboer33 any major things that worked for you that you can share? Workout or diet wise, that helped to the 20 lbs lost?
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins 7 months with low carbs/no carbs?! That's a wonderful achievement, congratulations. I understand what you all are saying, it takes time to completely be okay with not wanting to drive into a pizza box or chug every soda or sugary beverage you see. I guess I just beat myself up, I have been trying to break the 200s since December. Thank you, I will continue on the path and try better!

You are fighting that carb addiction, so it is tough right now. Just keep calm and keto on. Tomorrow will be better! I fall off the wagon every week, a bit, but still keep carbs lower than 100 gr per day on my high-carb days. It works at that level, too. You don't absolutely have to do the induction level of carbs to lose fat. It takes longer but it might be easier to achieve your goal weight if you stick with it than if you abandon ship.
  • kleighsamboer33
    Options
    @kleighsamboer33 any major things that worked for you that you can share? Workout or diet wise, that helped to the 20 lbs lost?

Nothing major. Breakfast is usually bacon and eggs or a bullet proof coffee lunch is bone broth, a salad, lettuce sandwiches, or skipped and dinner is meat or seafood with veggies sometimes I add extra fat in there with coconut milk, coconut oil, cream cheese ect. I haven't exercised at all yet but plan on adding that in maybe this weekend.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks can be tough with the carb cravings. They make choices hard at first. Our brain makes us want the carbs for the easy energy so it doesn't have to work so hard to make it. We all experience this in the beginning. Try not to be so hard on yourself. It's behind you now, so set your sights on moving forward. Best to you!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Pizza is so hard to resist! Congratulations on losing 21 pounds, that's awesome work and takes dedication. Can't wait till I get there, I will try better tomorrow :) Thank u.

For pizza craving when at home...

Joseph's Lavash makes a Pita. use low carb sauce (Wild Oats makes a great Parmesan and Romano Pasta Sauce). Toss on some mozzerella, pepperoni. Bake or broil until cheese is melted. Use parmesan to soak up the yumminess.

Do the same thing on homemade cheese crisps.

Or, just dump mozz, cheddar, then sauce, pepperoni on a plate and microwave it. Add parmesan...

Also, when out, eat the toppings and ditch the crust. No reason to avoid pizza forever.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

As for the cheesy awesomeness like mac and cheese, there is a cauliflower one that you might try, but admittedly I never have. Broccoli in a great cheese sauce rocks too.

That being said, IBreatheI'mHungry has a LCHF faux-pasta recipe I want to try...

And that being said, if in doubt, make yourself a homemade alfredo sauce (super simple - hardest part is patience and stirring) or rich cheddar based sauce to dump on stuff.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2015
    Options

And for the record - one meal or one week did not get you where you are today. It was years of meals and years of weeks. One meal will not fix you. Nor will one meal break you. Step back and look at the big picture. Did you eat slightly less than you would have before? Did you at least stop and think before eating? All of these things are progress.

And awesome barbeque can still be made on this WOE... Others can provide some great recipes. You just have to think differently.

And my go to out meal is a burger without bun, slathered in cheese, mayo, and mustard. Tomatoes, pickles, etc. Eat it with a fork. Go for the double burger. Add bacon. Eat it up and be happier than a clam...

If it is more of a sit down, fajitas slathered in sour cream, guacamole, and cheese (pass on tortillas, beans, and rice and go easier on onions) are fabulous. Or a taco salad without the shell. Or a steak with broccoli (butter and cheese, yes please!) and a salad without croutons. SOOOO many options.

HUGS
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It takes time for your body to accept your mental change.

I did low carb for a year and lost 90 pounds. I gave in and drifted out of it and have almost lost the 15 pounds I regained in my lapse, and I am still 15 pounds from my goal.

That being said, it can be really hard to stick to a low carb diet- and I was very motivated. I would do well for a few weeks, and then give in to something. Then a few months would go well, and I would give in. I think the battle is half mental, half physical, because your body will crave carbs if you give it the chance.

At this point I don't generally crave carbs -- artificial sweeteners, yes - which is why I am cutting them out. But I have been eating this way a while, and I am getting to know my limits. I have also decided -- over the course of the last few months - that this is not a 'diet'. Yes my goal is to loose weight, but it isn't something I plan to do and stop. This is me. This is what I eat and what I don't eat. Am I missing out on eating cake and ice cream and pop tarts.... pasta, bread etc.? No. If other people eat that, that is fine. I don't crave that, I don't want that, and I'm not eating that.

So don't beat yourself up. It is frustrating, but you aren't really starting over. Each slip up you are closer to knowing what your weaknesses are, and can better defend against them.