Your opinion of muscle gaining meal?

Options
I used to think that to get bigger I had to eat like 4000 calories a day. Of those 4000 calories most of that had to be protein and carbs. I of course did gain weight and muscle, but the fat that I gained while eating like that was not worth the muscle that I grew. I would then have to waste valuable time trying to lose the fat that I gained.
I now have a completely new way of thinking in the way of eating to gain muscle. I got the idea believe it or not from my wife. Who's not into thr fitness thing at all. Her idea "You don't have to eat a lot to get big, just eat the right things".
Well I tried it for a month, stopped protein shakes and all other supplements. All my protein is now from natural sources now, I eat salads all the time I add chicken to most of them. Eggs with wheat English muffins for AM snack. In other words I try to meet my daily calorie needs along with my nutrients.
Never disregard an idea just because it comes from an unusual source. I gained 2 pounds and lost 1/4inch off my waist last month with this concept, never before have I had results like that.

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I think you have to watch your calories closely. Eating too little will not help muscle gains and too much will lead to too much fat. I am using the Katch-Mcardle to calculate my calories. I am not going to stress over eating X amount of calories per day but instead try to reach a weekly calorie goal.
    I am also going to do IF during non workout days. I tried training on empty stomach and it wasn't for me. I am also going to eliminate starch carbs during the day and only eat them at night. This goes against what most of us were led to believe but if you think about it, what happens when we eat starch carbs? We soon get tired. That's why many people need a pick me up around 10:30 and 2:00.
    I am not going to worry about getting in a meal every 2-3 hours.
  • wildbill64
    wildbill64 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I try to eat mostly natural sources of lean protein, like chicken or fish, but I'm certainly not adverse to eating a steak either. I also will drink a Muscle Milk after a workout if pressed for time.

I mainly watch three markers in my diet: calories, protein, and fiber. I'm a relatively big guy (253) and not looking to lose too much weight long-term (just want to get down to 245 by October for the Chicago Marathon) and then plan to float back up to a stable weight around 255.