type 1 diabetic starting LCHF

Options
kayygregg
kayygregg Posts: 11 Member
Hey guys! I read everyone's posts on here and it's giving me hope and motivation to start this LCHF meal plan. I'm completely addicted to carbs, and I am a type 1 diabetic, so I need take insulin to compensate for these carbs. Recently, I've been taking so much insulin that it's storing so much fat and making me gain weight. Is anyone else out there that is following this plan a diabetic? If so, how are you doing with adjusting your insulin intake to fit this meal plan? Also, what are some of everyone's favorite recipes they make for this plan, or favorite snacks? Just need some inspiring ideas to get started! :)

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I just put "type 1 diabetes paleo diet" in the Google search engine and came up with quite a few hits, several from sites I have found very helpful in dealing with a dietary approach to arthritis (which is my problem, as opposed to diabetes). Some of the names that have really helped me are there, like Chris Kresser, Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Apple), and Robb Wolf.

I have found paleo/primal eating has made a huge improvement in my health and quality of life. I have heard good things about Diabetes 2 and this way of eating. I don't know much about Diabetes 1, but it looks as if there's information out there.

Here's just the first page (if I do this right):

Guest Blog Post: Paleo and Type 1 Diabetes | Speaking of ...
    blog.joslin.org/2014/05/guest-blog-post-paleo-and-type-1-diabetes/
    May 26, 2014 - We have received a number of inquiries about the Paleo diet, and requests ... I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 25 years old – a ...

Diabetes And A Paleo Diet | Paleo Leap
    paleoleap.com/diabetes-and-paleo-diet/
    How a Paleo Diet can help prevent or manage diabetes and important considerations ... Type 1 diabetics simply cannot produce insulin, due to an autoimmune ...

Success Story - The Paleo Diet and Type 1 Diabetes - The ...
    thepaleodiet.com/success-story-the-paleo-diet-and-type-1-diabetes/
    Dear Readers,. The following post is a testimonial from a mother who's child was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes last year, and who has seen a significant ...

Cow's Milk and Type 1 Diabetes | The Paleo Diet : The ...
    thepaleodiet.com/cows-milk-type-1-diabetes/
    Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune disease in which immune cells mount an attack to the cells of the pancreas that produce insulin resulting in destruction.

The Paleo (Caveman) Diet and Diabetes - Healthline
    www.healthline.com › Diabetes › Diabetes Mine
    Healthline Networks
    Feb 21, 2013 - Experimenting with That Paleo (Caveman) Diet -- with Diabetes ..... all learn early on when we are diagnosed with diabetes, type 1 or 2, is that ...

Should Type 1 Diabetics Go Primal/Paleo? | Mark's Daily ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com › Gene Expression
    Oct 25, 2012 - A low carbohydrate diet in type 1 diabetes: clinical experience–a brief report. – After three months on an isocaloric low-carb diet (70-90 grams ...

Type 1 Diabetes No Match for Primal Lifestyle! | Mark's Daily ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com › Success Stories
    Oct 26, 2012 - I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago. I haven't seen ... Around January of this year a friend exposed me to the paleo diet.

Controlling Type 1 Diabetes with Paleo - Robb Wolf
    robbwolf.com/.../its-actually-become-a-way-of-life-controlling-type-1-di...
    Aug 15, 2011 - I don't have positive associations with the word diet, so it's actually now become a way of life.I've been a type 1 diabetic for 8 years which has ...

The Whole30 + Type 1 Diabetes | Whole9
    whole9life.com/2011/03/the-whole30-type-1-diabetes/
    Mar 31, 2011 - My experience with Whole30 and Type 1 Diabetes. by Meggie .... I also have Type 1 and have been eating paleo for over a year now. I eat the ...

Diabetic Paleo | Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Diabetic-Paleo/515362801817875

Consuming a low-carbohydrate diet should be the first step taken by those with diabetes, according to ... Diabetic Paleo shared Type 1 Diabetes Memes's photo.

Living w/ Type 1 Diabetes‎
    Adwww.t1everydaymagic.com/Type1‎

Understanding Type 1 Diabetes Everyday Challenges, Everyday Magic

Newly DiagnosedRecipesReal Stories (Jen & Kim)Bookshelf

Paleo Recipe Ebook 2015‎
    Adwww.paleorecipebook.com/2015‎
    Full Recipe Guide @ $25 Lifetime Over 370+ Recipes.60 Days Moneyback
    Paleo Recipe Book‎
    Adwww.paleo-diet-secrets.org/Diet‎
  • kayygregg
    kayygregg Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    oh geez, okay thank you so much for all of this information! I greatly appreciate it! I'll start looking at some of these websites
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me. I am also T1D. As far as adjusting its easy, with no carbs to count there is little need to take insulin. I do find that I need about half as much insulin to cover high protein or high fat meals. I am not yet LCHF but am working toward it. My goal is to keep carbs under 120g per day including veggies.
  • llds681
    llds681 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, Kayygregg, I just started on LCHF, too. I'm a type I diabetic, diagnosed in 1995. I just in the last couple days got really serious about the low carb thing, and I noticed that my blood sugar hasn't gone above 160 in almost 48 hours. Yesterday, I had around 100g of carb--and didn't even really need that.

The science behind all this is not really complicated, actually. The more carb you eat, the more insulin you take. But since you're lowering your carb intake, you have to increase something else (protein or fat) to make sure you get enough calories. Most people don't recommend you increase your protein since if you eat too much, some of it will actually be converted to glucose. So you increase your fat. There have been numerous studies showing that saturated fat is not strongly linked to heart disease. If you don't eat very many carbs, you will enter a state where your body is burning fat for energy, called ketosis, and indeed, the LCHF diet is called a ketogenic diet. This is DIFFERENT from KETOACIDOSIS, where you have so many ketones that your blood becomes too acidic--and lands you in the hospital. Ketosis, however, is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as your blood sugars are in good control--so keep an eye on them!

Feel free to friend me. I am in NO WAY a doctor or any sort of diabetic educator or certified in any way, I just love doing research!

Below are a couple articles and websites that I found really helpful. Also, Dr. Bernstein's book "The Diabetes Solution" is really good--he recommends this type of diet (I'm currently reading it).

Dr. Briffa's Article here

Diet Doctor here

Dr. Bernstein's Book here

Good luck!