Living at home this summer, need some advice

Options
chrisloveslife
chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
Hi everyone!

So last summer I was living on my own where I could make my own meals and not have to worry about anyone else. This summer I'm living at home, and my mom usually does the cooking. I don't get home from work until about 6 or 6:30, and by then she always has dinner made and it's usually not the healthiest things. I usually just end up eating what she makes since I'm either too exhausted to make something else or there is nothing else to make. Sometimes I make dinner, but then my parents aren't that thrilled about the healthier meal. Any advice?

Replies

• heystephie
    heystephie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Tell your mum what you want to eat E.g: Salmon and Brocolli, so she'll know exactly what you want for dinner and can cook it for you instead of her just cooking whatever she likes to cook because she doesn't know what you want. You have to tell her.
    Alternatively, force yourself to prepare your own dinner no matter how tired you feel. I'm doing an internship now and I end work at 6pm. I still make time to exercise for at least half an hour and prepare my dinner after that. So if I can do it, you can too!

Good luck :)
  • sarahellen28
    Options
    I am having the same struggle this summer. The one thing that helps is making sure I don't come home starving. I pack a snack to have around 4, I get home around 6, and I am not starving, so I am able to make my own dinner if I don't want to have what my parents are eating. I also sometimes just adjust what they have to make it a healthier meal. They may have roasted chicken and mashed potatoes, so I will have a serving of chicken plus a small salad and fruit. A lot of nights I will have scrambled eggs or egg whites for dinner often adding veggies or putting it in a small tortilla with salsa. This only takes a few minutes to make.

Go to the grocery store for yourself or make a list for your mom of healthy things that you like. I also send my mom recipes that are healthy that I think everyone could enjoy.
  • lannasster
    lannasster Posts: 49
    Options
    I was home for a week at the beginning of the month and I went ahead and planned my meals each morning like I normally do when I'm living with my roommate. I went to Costco and bought a package of blackened salmon and chicken breasts for the week and a 6 pack of lean cuisine dinners. The first morning I got up, baked 3 salmon filets and 3 sweet potatoes, then grilled 3 chicken breasts and my normal vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, carrots etc.) I put each meal into a container and stuck it in the refrigerator so that when I was ready to eat, all I had to do was pop it in the microwave.

My issue is the snacks. My mom keeps tons of junk in the house and I'm always so tempted to just grab a bag of chips or something. I keep guacamole on hand and I'll have a 100 calorie pack of that with 12 wheat chips for a low calorie snack or I'll heat up a package of edamame and snack on those.

For something sweet I just cut up a bunch of fruit and stick them on wooden skewers and put them in the freezer.
  • Rooooose
    Rooooose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had this problem last year and do NOT want this to happen again! I contacted a local fitness center at my parents' place and got student + summer discount which means I can workout the whole summer as often as I want to burn all the extra calories (and of course maintain my overall fitness). Also, I challenged my mum to do the 5:2 fasting (which I've been doing for 6 weeks so far) with me :). Maybe you could arrange something like this too! Good luck this summer and enjoy it! x
  • BiancaMarie819
    BiancaMarie819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm living at home this summer too, and its actually really great for me! While at school I had a limited amount of spending money for the week $50, and no job so I had to make it last, which led me to eating fast foods, and easy mac. Now that I'm home my mom is less reluctant to giving me food money, as long as I eat it its okay.

But what you can do, is side by side as your mom makes dinner for the family makes yours in the kitchen too at the same time. Last night my brother dad and I, all ate dinner together, but we each had our own distinctive meal, needless to say mine was the healthiest ;). My mom can get annoyed when other people are in the kitchen though, so if I'm with her I will typically meal prep for 3-4 days and have Tupperware with grilled chicken, some vegetable, and quinoa or riced cauliflower. So like one day when you're not doing anything make a large meal for four, and divvy it up into pyrex containers, and leave it in the fridge! That way at six when you get off of work you can just reheat your meal and have a seat at the dinner table. Talk to your parents about it, and see what works!