What do you eat for breakfast?

Options
annalisbeth74
annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
I've been doing lchf for a couple of weeks now and I'm struggling with what to eat for breakfast.

I have to be at work 6:30 most days, and I'm never hungry that early so I fix my bulletproof coffee and bring it with me. I usually get hungry around 9, and I've been bringing lc wraps to eat while I work. They fill me up, but then there are days when I have to take lunch at 11 due to scheduling, and at that point I'm force-feeding myself because I just had breakfast. I can't not eat lunch, though, because I may be working past 5:30 and I need the fuel.

Any suggestions for stuff I can eat at my desk for breakfast that won't make me so full I can't eat lunch? I've found that I do need at least a little carb early in the day or I can't function in the afternoon, so hard boiled eggs are out. I thought about trying the Atkins shakes but I'd rather have real food.

Thank you all in advance!

Replies

• nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I personally like taking Linda's/genaw.com early rise breakfast casserole and tweak it to my liking with ingredients. You can then cut it into whatever portion you like. My favorite I do with sausage, red peppers, kale, basil, feta, & mozzarella. It reheats pretty well that I can eat it for a few days.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for stuff I can eat at my desk for breakfast that won't make me so full I can't eat lunch? I've found that I do need at least a little carb early in the day or I can't function in the afternoon, so hard boiled eggs are out.

ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

:) I eat eggs specifically for their high satiety, and I often skip lunch because I'm still full due to my eggs in the morning. Isn't that sort of the point of a low-carb diet?

• Jakiepaper
    Jakiepaper Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Can you make those egg muffins? Freeze them and just bring them on the days you may need them? Also, maybe some nuts, macadamia, pistachio, almond. I portion those out into baggies on Sunday so I have enough in my stash for the week. I may eat the whole Baggie in one sitting or I might just eat a few at a time.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I've found that I do need at least a little carb early in the day or I can't function in the afternoon

What's your daily carb limit?
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    25-30 net carbs a day. I've been getting about 60 total and 30-35 grams of fiber. If I go any lower I get so weak I can't do my job, which requires a lot of heavy lifting.

Anything microwaveable is out too. I may not have time to microwave anything. I barely have time to pee these days, we're so busy.

I do keep nuts at my desk for the afternoons we end up working late, but I don't think they'll help for breakfast.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    left overs, celery with peanut butter, salad, broccoli dipped in ranch dressing, cheese, summer sausage
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ham with cream cheese and pickle
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    FWIW, the fatigue should be gone soon. Give it another week. For my morning carbs, I have a bowl of berries or celery with almond butter.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    If I go any lower I get so weak I can't do my job, which requires a lot of heavy lifting.

The physiology of keto adaptation doesn't support that conclusion.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I cooked my eggs, either scrambled or hard boiled in larger quantities so I can quickly grab them to go. Same with bacon or sausage or I make casserole, but you have no access to microwave? That might be tough with reheating the bacon or other stuff.
    Full fat plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with few berries. I eat avocado every morning sometimes I make egg salad and top avocado with it.

For lunch it's usually leftovers from dinner or ham, salami, pickles, you name it, whatever I have available on hand.
    I prepare my stuff the night before so I can grab and go. Chicken salad, or green salad if you eat veggies.

Planning is a key to this, I usually count my macros and see what will fit in my day starting with dinner, because it's my bigger meal, so I do it backwards :)

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    During the week I'll usually have a couple of boiled eggs or some cottage cheese or yogurt, although lately I've been drinking BPC in the mornings - I find this keeps me full until 2pm or so.
    On weekends I like to have poached eggs with smoked salmon, bacon and/or sausages depending on what I have planned for the day.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I'd say egg muffins for breakfast at work ( or some sort of frittata), since that kind of thing is so portable, and I like to eat them cold, so you don't need to heat them up. I personally eat enough protein and fat at breakfast before I leave the house, skip lunch altogether, and can last up to 12 hours on a workday until I eat supper. I wouldn't want to force feed myself just because my breaks have to be taken when I'm not ready for them. I'd work around the breaks and make sure I eat enough at the first break so I don't have to eat at the second break....or don't eat at 9, just eat at 11. If you eat until you are full, you should be OK for several hours.

Why not have your BPC before you leave for work, and just bring one big meal for mid morning that will keep you full until supper ? If not eggs, then anything. I like cold supper leftovers too, sometimes on some greens, to turn it into a salad. Or, you could try a few nuts at 9:00 and that should hold you until your lunch break.

If anything, I feel way more freedom with this woe. I don't have to eat when CW tells me I should, I'll eat when I am hungry. If I get hungry at work, I keep macadamia nuts in my desk drawer, but usually don't have to touch them. Listen to your body and you will be able to find a solution that works with your work schedule. Meals can be anything you want them to be. I used to bring smoothies to work for lunch, but have found that I just don't need any extra calories until supper since going keto.
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    Kristenlarkin- I don't like pickles, but ham and cream cheese sounds really good. Mmmm. Maybe with green onion.

Kitnthekat- I never thought about eating the fritattas cold. That actually sounds good! I liked cold quiche in the past, and that's basically the same thing.

I think I might try skipping breakfast altogether and just waiting for lunch. If I add more fat to my coffee I could probably do it.

All of your food suggestions sound yummy! Thank you all so much for your help!
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    I've been reading some other posts, and I wonder if my weakness/headaches is low sodium related, and not a sign that I need more carbs like I thought? All I knew is that on those days I "cheated" with chips and felt better, and assumed it was because of the increased carb intake. Now I'm rethinking.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Chips have sodium in it, could be related to your low sodium? Try drinking broth instead of eating carbs
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    A one ounce serving of potato chips also has about as much potassium as a banana and about 10 grams of fat in addition to the above mentioned sodium.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    If I go any lower I get so weak I can't do my job, which requires a lot of heavy lifting.

The physiology of keto adaptation doesn't support that conclusion.

Yeah, my job has heavy lifting, ladder climbing, twisting, bending, crouching and about 6 miles walked per shift. No carbs needed and I often get through a 5am-2pm shift with only coffee with hwc on my morning break.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What to eat for breakfast? Very little. I take a coffee with me in the morning in my flask with coconut oil and butter whipped into it. I'm normally fine until lunchtime, and I like to save my cals til later in the day. That way I can eat a decent dinner with my partner and have some left over for a snack in front of the TV (even if it's a coffee and some cheese squares and pickles).
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    cream cheese and salmon roe wrapped up in seaweed sheets. I am not a big morning eater.....
  • bikerchick2012
    bikerchick2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    10g grass fed butter, one whole egg and one egg yolk plus 10g cream cream, all scrambled.