Free veggies?

ChoiceNotChance
ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
Do you all count your salad greens towards your overall carb total for the day? I told one of the docs at work who is a big proponent of Atkins said "but they're free", you don't have to count them. What do you do?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Well, kale is way higher carb than you might expect, so that's an example of something you'd want to track.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    Right, but how about your standard spring mix or baby spinach?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Practically free. I don't bother to count lettuce, for example.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    I count EVERYTHING.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,071 Member
    I still log the lettuce and spinach. It has more carbs than meat. I love a baby kale, baby spinach, baby swiss chard mix, but find I want to use less and less because of the carbs.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    I count all veggies, they all have carbs, no exceptions
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I count them all too!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    Thanks for your responses. I thought so, too, but wanted to make sure.
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    No real free foods here, and doesn't hurt to track everything
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    I count all total carbs.
  • janismaureen
    janismaureen Posts: 11 Member
    Kale has more carbs per ounce than spinach because it has less water so it is more dense. Still a great nutritional value! Right now I count everything, it all adds up.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Romaine outer leaves are free if you count net carbs.
  • GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    I count all carbs. From veggies and even from my fiber supplements.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Romaine outer leaves are free if you count net carbs.
    They're free because I throw them away! :-)

• jmiller1028
    jmiller1028 Posts: 17 Member
    nothing is free. free is a lie we tell ourselves because we want to eat something. we have to track so we know what we eat.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    I count everything too, but if you are looking for veg with low carbs, then aubergine/eggplant is amazingly low for the bulk you are getting.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I track every gram of everything, and eggs, and cheese, and heavy cream have carbs despite what those labels say. Meds and vitamins can also have quite a bit of carbs.
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    I track every gram of everything, and eggs, and cheese, and heavy cream have carbs despite what those labels say. Meds and vitamins can also have quite a bit of carbs.

I'm glad you mentioned vitamins and meds as I think people often overlook how much stuff like that adds up.. Granted some companies use indigestible cellulose, but for those of us that have to watch artificial sweeteners.. Its good to keep in mind!

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member

I'm glad you mentioned vitamins and meds as I think people often overlook how much stuff like that adds up.. Granted some companies use indigestible cellulose, but for those of us that have to watch artificial sweeteners.. Its good to keep in mind!
    Yeah, I mean, most are negligible, but if you take NyQuil every night to sleep, well, those carbs can add up. A tylenol or two here and there, and of course, prescription meds, are going to have tiny amounts, but really, who is going to give up medically necessary meds due to carb count. I log my Tums on the rare occasion I need them because they can be quite carb costly, and I have logged cough drops, too.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    I count EVERYTHING.

Ditto.