Chat and Accountability May 3rd - May 9th.

Hmrjmr1
Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
Happy Sunday Folks! Hope all is well with all of you.

Can't do the Gym with Dan this morning (digestive issues), Gonna Visit a friend up in Savannah this afternoon. He's in a Nursing home. Fellow Vietnam Vet. Writing a speech for him to deliver Memorial Day.

60 Day no Scale Challenge is done. Back to using another tool in the box. The point for me was to recalibrate my eye. So it's a bit more about the optics than the number, and for me at least even less about the optics than the primary question "How do I feel?" Anyway if you did the challenge How do YOU feel?

Aw Righty then 'murica. Gun Runners will be rollin next Saturday. Gonna be a happy blast!

Replies

• jenniferyounginillinois
    jenniferyounginillinois Posts: 535 Member
    Good morning everybody. Reading up on the Whole30 so I can go shopping this morning and fill up the fridge. The local outdoor farmers market started yesterday and I grabbed some salad mix, radishes, asparagus & sprouts. A good start to the season. I'm still planning on doing a more vegetarian/vegan wanna-be version of Whole30 (so fish and shellfish). Is there an issue with the 'faux-meats'? I like the Beyond Meat and Field Roast brand products as they have a good taste (although can be a bit dry without a little 'help'). Also, any recipes from those who have done Whole30 before would be fab! I'm ready for this. I HAVE to be! Thank you Carol for asking me to participate. I know I've been hesitant in the past but I do need something new to get me fired up.

Oooooo, 6 more days for the Gun Runners' invasion of Illinois. I'm still hoping for some others to come join me in supporting them. I'll be the one with the cameras! :smiley:

Back to reading. Everybody have a great Sunday.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Jen - Check the ingredients most are soy based for the protein, not W30 compliant. Might want to check this resource
    forum.whole9life.com/forum/17-whole30-for-vegetarians/
    edited May 2015
    Hmrjmr1 wrote: »
    Jen - Check the ingredients most are soy based for the protein, not W30 compliant. Might want to check this resource
    forum.whole9life.com/forum/17-whole30-for-vegetarians/

That's what I figured. Darn it! I guess it's just fish and other seafood for me then. Thanks John.

I just found this version of the shopping list for vegans/vegetarians which says that organic tempeh and tofu can be used as proteins (http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-veg-shopping-list.pdf). The updated one really gives NO options for vegans, since it just includes eggs and fish/seafood as protein options.
  • aceronjr
    aceronjr Posts: 96 Member
    Starting my first day of getting back on strict CNS. Except I'm going for a very long induction period, at least 4 weeks. Also going try a more W30ish approach in that I'm going to keep cheese and heavy cream to a minimum, as well as sucralose in my teas and coffee. I can go without it in my chai tea ... but NOT coffee. Going to go however for a more nuetral taste where I taste neither bitter nor sweet. Otherwise I think I'm pretty much already there with the W30ish approach.
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Jen, I'm excited that you're going to do the W30 with us! Arturo - glad you are already Whole30-ish. ;)

GunRunners are on their way!! Jen and I just made some plans to be roomies this Friday and Saturday. THANK YOU for picking me up from the airport Jen!! Sorry it will be so late when I finally get into OHare. Will message you.

VEEEERRRRRY excited!!!

Glad we are starting a Whole30 today. I hope that means I won't gain weight with this Tough Mudder. I seem to every time. I take "carb-loading" to a new level. LOL
    Jen, I'm excited that you're going to do the W30 with us! Arturo - glad you are already Whole30-ish. ;)

GunRunners are on their way!! Jen and I just made some plans to be roomies this Friday and Saturday. THANK YOU for picking me up from the airport Jen!! Sorry it will be so late when I finally get into OHare. Will message you.

VEEEERRRRRY excited!!!

Glad we are starting a Whole30 today. I hope that means I won't gain weight with this Tough Mudder. I seem to every time. I take "carb-loading" to a new level. LOL

Carol, hopefully I'll be able to find you at the airport. I haven't been to O'Hara in over 15 years. We'll be in contact. :smile:
    And how the heck did my 'I'm just coming up to watch you guys run' turn into 'I'm staying the weekend'? You are VERY persuasive Carol. :wink:
  • Hmrjmr1
    Happy Monday Folks! Hope all is well with all of you.

All set for the week ahead, Car Rented, Room rented, TM ticket printed. All pre flight checks complete.
  • sbuzzard24
    sbuzzard24 Posts: 22 Member
    Hey y'all... I am new here... but stumbled upon the F2FHQ Podcast last week and have been binge listening. So good to hear people saying things like "NOT EVERYTHING WORKS FOR EVERYONE, FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU"... I am on day 24 of my 4th Whole 30, but my first since getting pregnant and having my 11 month old... so I have been "eating for 2" or using that as my excuse to EAT EVERYTHING for 20 months. Getting my body comp. back to where it needs to be has been a challenge. Looking forward to being a part of this community and traveling this journey together!!
    sbuzzard24 wrote: »
    Hey y'all... I am new here... but stumbled upon the F2FHQ Podcast last week and have been binge listening. So good to hear people saying things like "NOT EVERYTHING WORKS FOR EVERYONE, FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU"... I am on day 24 of my 4th Whole 30, but my first since getting pregnant and having my 11 month old... so I have been "eating for 2" or using that as my excuse to EAT EVERYTHING for 20 months. Getting my body comp. back to where it needs to be has been a challenge. Looking forward to being a part of this community and traveling this journey together!!

Let me be the first to welcome you! I LOVE the Fat2FitHQ podcasts and the people here in the group. Carol is awesometastic, even though she keeps talking me into doing things (she's a very persuasive one - hehehe).

How was your first Whole30? I'm starting my first today.

Again, welcome to the Fat2FitHQ world! :smile:
  • Hmrjmr1
    edited May 2015

Welcome Home Lass. Glad you're here. and Yep Carol is pretty persuasive.

BTW Good Hunting on the Whole 30 Folks. I would wish you luck but I know from experience Luck has nothing to do with it. So Focus, on the goal. The Goal Being - EAT WELL Eat Clean; If you eat clean you eat well. A lot of the other stuff tends to fall in to place when you 'Start with Food" .
  • sbuzzard24
    sbuzzard24 Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks so much. I love W30 and feel so much better when I am eating clean. I am a person who NEEDS rules, so I really like the guidelines. After 20 months of eating HORRIBLY the first week of detox was rough, and to make it even worse I decided to give up coffee for the W30 as well... headaches, no energy...but by day 7 I was seeing huge changes in my workouts, so much more energy! My first W30 alerted me to a legume sensitivity (they give me terrible headaches). YOU'LL DO GREAT!!!
    Thanks so much. I love W30 and feel so much better when I am eating clean. I am a person who NEEDS rules, so I really like the guidelines. After 20 months of eating HORRIBLY the first week of detox was rough, and to make it even worse I decided to give up coffee for the W30 as well... headaches, no energy...but by day 7 I was seeing huge changes in my workouts, so much more energy! My first W30 alerted me to a legume sensitivity (they give me terrible headaches). YOU'LL DO GREAT!!!

Thanks. I'm going to have a bit of a difficult time finding something besides seafood or protein (I'm not eating vegan, obviously, but I want to kick meat out of my eating and the 'faux' meats are a no-no on Whole30 as they all use soy or other legume protein). I've kicked the soda and most sugars in the past but they started to creep back in recently. I hopefully won't be dealing with the withdrawals like I did the first time (pretty bad at times). I just want to be healthy and get this extra weight off of me. I need rules and challenges too. I seem to do much better when there are rules and somebody to hold me accountable (CAROL!!!!).

WE GOT THIS! :smiley:

• imabizzybee
    imabizzybee Posts: 123 Member
    Started W30 today! I have a lot of travel and events coming up, but I'll give it a solid try. Even if I just improve on what I've been eating, it is progress. I really back-slid over the last 5 or 6 weeks and can feel the impact. So for breakfast, a banana with almond butter, a veggies-only green smoothie, and 2 ounces of turkey breast. I miss my protein shake, but the banana is a big treat for me.
  • AngelaLastname
    AngelaLastname Posts: 41 Member
    This is so exciting! I'm starting today too. I also discovered I'm in need of rules right now. I didn't go crazy after it ended but I'm making stupid decisions and need more structure. I am out of town Thursday, Friday and Saturday for a work conference and am planning today on what to do for food. I got a room with a refrigerator and am planning what to pack so I can have breakfast and lunch with me. Thanks to all of the good suggestions for Mark last week about traveling I think I'm good for nights out :smiley:

I am excited because I'll be in a city with a Whole Foods and am going to check it out one of the nights (I'm crazy like that... LOL Maybe I'll even go to a bookstore!) Someone posted on a FB group that Sobeys (a grocery chain in Canada) had Sir Kensington's condiments!!!! Super exciting!
  • AngelaLastname
    AngelaLastname Posts: 41 Member
    Oh and Kim I just saw your derby pic and LOVE IT!! You look amazing :smile:
  • babygirl59601
    babygirl59601 Posts: 74 Member
    My Austin had a great time on his float Friday. They are were the only special Ed float! Was a fun day with my mom and Austin, my youngest, and after that we did our annual shopping day.

After had a special weekend with mark. We went to a another match and he did awesome! I did awesome too for being so new. Yesterday we got his green house planted and enjoyed each other's company!j8v5e6ooxinf.jpg
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Kim, love your Derby picture, nice dress! very classy and timeless.
    Welcome Sbuzzard
    Angela, I don't think there is a huge difference in USA.. I could be wrong. But even in US you have to push for certain blood work. You are your own advocate. Nobody is going to care more about your health than you! There are independent labs in the US that will run your blood work so you can bypass a doctor http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-20/the-doctor-is-out-labcorp-to-let-consumers-order-own-tests
    I think its a good idea to know if you have the gene that are poor in converting certain nutrients or function better when on a diet. Especially now that science has discovered that in our lifetime and in a very short amount of time we can turn on off certain gene so that we function better, repair our bodies better and reverse certain damage just by tweaking our nutrients?! :D Have a successful business trip!
    John, Jen and Carol, You guys have fun in Chicago!!

Well I am finally in line to get my coach but AJ said I can't unless I am already doing CNS even though I've been doing CNS last year... Which I totally get it. I did get the PDF on "rules" I have been eating low carb (not ULC) 80% of the time but its only recently that I'm finally in the mindset to fully re commit. Due to social engagements I can't start my induction till the 11th. I kinda want to have a coach already to help me get back to to it but their coaching system isn't set up to help people that way.. So I'll have to contact her again when I had my first carb nite. Oh and I didn't realize I had to log strictly again. I'm trying to get away from that so I'm back to busting out my kitchen scale and weighing out my food by weight. It sucks when I have multiple ingredients because now i have to weigh/measure the different veggies, then the meat, then put them back together again. well its kinda working because I'm avoiding eating so I don't have to weigh/measure foods.. So right now my excitement for coaching has diminished, but I still need it because I'm paying them to answer questions that I don't want to do the research for or have the experience. I'm pretty sure it won't be a waste of money. lol
  • Hmrjmr1
    Happy Tuesday Folks! Hope all is well with all of you. So get a chance to strut my stuff sort of today. Our District is doing a Joint Commission Readiness inspection this week. They're supposed to be on the Dementia Ward to observe during my after lunch Garden Time activity. Should be fun. Some other Koo-EL stuff, I've been told by my boss to work up and organize two two hour periods in the week devoted to weight training for our adaptive athletes and the nursing home patients. Up til now its been on a by appointment basis. So this is a big step in moving the program forward. Very happy camper.

Kelly So Koo-EL on the Float! A great weekend, Hooah to ya.

Jen If you are taking out meat, does that include fowl? Lots o good protein in birds. Plus between chicken duck and pheasant some taste variations as well. Also might want to look into bugs. Lots of good stuff being made commercially with crickets. They've been a human protein source longer than cattle or birds.

Heron - empathize with the frustrations of weighing and measuring again. But got to collect the data. Much good luck with the coaching, Those I met at the Paleo fx Carb nite were a very good bunch. I was favorable impressed, (and that is not a phrase I use often)

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

TTFN
    Tuesday morning.

Yes John, I'm not sure if I'll ever eliminate animal protein completely but I'm just limiting what I do eat. For now, I'll do my best to get through the 30 days sticking to the rules. :)
  • TJ_Gauthier
    TJ_Gauthier Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2015
    Hey everyone. I'm just here to check in. Haven't participated in a while.

I'm taking part in this latest Whole30. I REALLY needed it! I've been eating like doodoo and feeling like it, because of it. I am up about 8 pounds from my lowest since high school. But, I'm still at a net loss for the year. I cooked a couple burger patties and some chicken breast last night, so I'll be prepared for meals, for a few days.

I went to a friends for some informal clay shooting, this past Saturday. I really don't know why, but I was sore afterwards. I guess after not moving too much, any activity will wear you out. I brought a couple of handguns, as well, and my friend's 10 year old son shot one for the first time. He really enjoyed himself, and I'm glad I could let him have that opportunity.

John, I noticed Jen glossed over the comment about crickets. ;)