Chat and Accountability May 3rd - May 9th.

Replies

• jenniferyounginillinois
    jenniferyounginillinois Posts: 535 Member
    Hey everyone. I'm just here to check in. Haven't participated in a while.

I'm taking part in this latest Whole30. I REALLY needed it! I've been eating like doodoo and feeling like it, because of it. I am up about 8 pounds from my lowest since high school. But, I'm still at a net loss for the year. I cooked a couple burger patties and some chicken breast last night, so I'll be prepared for meals, for a few days.

I went to a friends for some informal clay shooting, this past Saturday. I really don't know why, but I was sore afterwards. I guess after not moving too much, any activity will wear you out. I brought a couple of handguns, as well, and my friend's 10 year old son shot one for the first time. He really enjoyed himself, and I'm glad I could let him have that opportunity.

John, I noticed Jen glossed over the comment about crickets. ;)

Completely intentional TJ. :smile: I'm not heading out the yard to grab up some crickets for cricket stir-fry anytime soon!

BTW, I wish I was up only 8lbs. I actually decided to not weigh myself yesterday. I'll weigh myself after the 30 days. I know I won't have the starting point but honestly, I don't want to know what it is! I have an idea, based on how my clothes are fitting (or not fitting).

Heron, thanks. Carol is going to keep me honest now that we're roommates for the weekend. :smile: Heck, I might even learn something from her. I'm really looking forward to meeting everybody and hopefully getting some good pics and vids.

Kelly, I love the picture. So cooliolio!!! :smiley:
  • sbuzzard24
    sbuzzard24 Posts: 22 Member
    Tuesday morning.

Yes John, I'm not sure if I'll ever eliminate animal protein completely but I'm just limiting what I do eat. For now, I'll do my best to get through the 30 days sticking to the rules. :)

What is your reason for eliminating animal protein?
    sbuzzard24 wrote: »
    Tuesday morning.

Yes John, I'm not sure if I'll ever eliminate animal protein completely but I'm just limiting what I do eat. For now, I'll do my best to get through the 30 days sticking to the rules. :)

What is your reason for eliminating animal protein?

Health reasons - I've had GI issues in the past and limiting my meat intake seems to help.
  • imabizzybee
    imabizzybee Posts: 123 Member
    Day 2 of Whole 30. Oh, the headache!!! :s Powering through...
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Jen, Ever try eliminating grains? In most people they have a much bigger impact on gut health and issues than meat.

Heron, The weighing and measuring is only for the check in logs. If you don't want to do so in between, they really don't expect you to weigh and track daily.However, I'd consider it a bit for the first month so that you're next check in they can tweak based on true behavior (tho I suspect you could eyeball pretty darn close without weighing). I do because it is a bit of personal accountability...tho I generally don't weigh anything. And you're right the coaching is designed for people actively doing CN or CBL but not getting the results expected. So they need to see what you typically do on ULC versus CN, in order to provide the tweaks.

I never did comment on the 23and me. Thanks so much for all that! I'm going to take the plunge and do it. I'm of the mindset if I had something like the Alzheimer's gene which is so distinctly influenced by diet and lifestyle that I'd want to know. I mean really giving up carbs versus giving up my mind...there's not even a decision to make there.

• TJ_Gauthier
    TJ_Gauthier Posts: 317 Member
    I just found a new recipe site for the Whole30 gang. It's a Paleo site, but they don't seem to like to use the honey and other natural sweeteners that a lot of other people do, so it's Whole30 compliant!

http://paleoleap.com/
  • imabizzybee
    Thanks TJ. I'm already a bit bored. But then, my food is pretty boring usually since I've been no grain for a few years. Tonight is salmon with snow peas, and then a treat of pineapple for dessert.
  • TJ_Gauthier
    edited May 2015
    Your food doesn't have to be boring!

Try some of my favorites:

Breakfast Skillet (I use 1lb bfast sausage for the meat)
    http://www.paleocupboard.com/breakfast-skillet.html

Chicken Cattiatore
    http://paleomg.com/chicken-cattiatore-with-grilled-veggies/

Italian Meat Sauce (I use one more can of tom sauce to make it a little thinner and put it over spag squash)
    http://paleomg.com/my-meat-sauce-i-put-on-everything/
    Good morning everybody. It's Wednesday. Are the Gun Runners ready for Saturday? Just a few more days!!! Just checked the weather - rain planned.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Happy Wednesday Folks! Last day of work before I head for Chicago.

Jen - It don't rain in the Gun Runners Team it just rains on it. No biggie, what you're going to a mud run and you're worried about getting wet?

Alrighty then Whole 30 Folks keep up the good work.

Cynthia - Glad to see ya here again.

Once again we are all faced with opportunities to excel, You gonna walk on by it? or are you gonna GET SOME!
    edited May 2015
    Hmrjmr1 wrote: »
    Happy Wednesday Folks! Last day of work before I head for Chicago.

Jen - It don't rain in the Gun Runners Team it just rains on it. No biggie, what you're going to a mud run and you're worried about getting wet?

Alrighty then Whole 30 Folks keep up the good work.

Cynthia - Glad to see ya here again.

Once again we are all faced with opportunities to excel, You gonna walk on by it? or are you gonna GET SOME!

No John, I'm not worried about rain. Storms is more of a worry and hopefully they hold off. Remember, I'm not a PARTICIPANT!!! :tongue: :wink: :smiley:

Whole30 seems to be going ok. Only back to drinking water, eating lots of fruits and veggies. Have not yet cut the meat out, as I have been eating bacon for breakfast. Tried something new yesterday - sardines. I always heard about how terrible they were but considering I love sushi and sashimi, I figured it was time to try them. YUMMERS!!!! Something new to add to my list of proteins.
    BTW, the brand I tried is Wild Planet.

• sbuzzard24
    sbuzzard24 Posts: 22 Member
    You can do it W30 people!! I'm on day 26, it's worth it... by day 6 or 8 you will feel the change!! Something I didn't know that learned this W30... Plantains!!!! I've only ever eaten them black as a super sweet snack... fry them in coconut oil when green and make a taco salad... SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD!!!!
    Green plantains: starchy, with just a hint of sweetness. They taste a little like potatoes, and work well in savory curries and stews. If you’re going make plantain chips, you’ll want them green.
    Yellow plantains: a little sweeter and less starchy than the green ones; they’re a middle ground between green and black. They’re still not as sweet as bananas, though.
    Black plantains: sweet (almost like a banana) and soft; bake them and eat them for dessert.
  • TJ_Gauthier
    edited May 2015
    I tried my hand at poaching eggs at work. We have a coffee machine that puts out ridiculously hot water, so I thought it might be enough. When it wasn't, I poked a hole in the yolk and microwaved it for about 30 seconds. It didn't come out runny, like I had hoped for, but it worked! Now to adjust the time to keep it runny.xzee0g60h4ji.png
  • TJ_Gauthier
    Jen, I tried sardines a couple of times before. They are pretty good. I had them in a salad. The thing to watch for is bone-in or bone-out. They say the bones are okay to eat (I think) but it adds an awful texture to it. Like some woody veggies get fibrous when you chew them.
    TJ, I made sure that the sardines were deboned or unboned or relieved of it's bones. :smile: I'm find with shrimp tails but not a big fan of fish bones.
  • TJ_Gauthier
    Cool, I didn't know they came 2 ways the first time I got them, and just grabbed one that happened to have bones. It was super annoying trying to debone a fish smaller than my finger.
    Check out the Wild Planet brand. I don't know what size sardines are supposed to be but some reviews I read about them said they are bigger than normal. I know they taste good (not fishy at all). I tried the ones in olive oil. I'll get the ones in water next. Definitely going to be a good thing to have around for salads or even a snack. Plus, good for short term emergency storage.
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Had a great time last night getting to know Jen over dinner. Thanks again for driving up here to beautiful Peru, Jen!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Happy Thursday Folks! Heading out later for Chi town. Google maps says 15-16 hrs, Check in time isn't til 4pm Fri so no need to hurry out the door. Looking forward to hookin up with folks.
  • imabizzybee
    Best wishes for the team! Wish I could be there. I'm on a business trip to Wake Forest U. and am staying in an amazing mansion (tobacco money). I'm so proud that I managed to stay Whole 30 all day yesterday while traveling and today for breakfast. Tough to pass up good southern biscuits and gravy! The headache is gone and I feel great.

Anyone buy into the premium MFP? Just curious.