Need to walk before I can run.How will I know?

Options
I have wanted to begin running for years.I live in the Orlando area and Walt Disney World has these Princess 5k runs.People dress up like a princess(some of them) and they run Disney World.I know I am not going to be able to do that any time soon, but how will I know I am ready.I am going to be 45 this year and although I don't emotionally feel 45 my body does.How do you know you are ready to begin running? I am also not wanting to look like a flopping fish out of water along the roadways.Is there any way of "knowing" how to run?Thanks for reading! :blush:

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As far as readiness to start C25K is concerned, I'd generally advocate being comfortable walking for 30 minutes at a brisk pace. Of course brisk is open to interpretation, so I'd best describe it as purposefully rather than drifting. That should mean that the early stages of C25K are comfortably achievable.

In terms of how, just put one foot in front of the other ;) The main thing is to relax, stand tall and take it easy. I used the NHS podcast series, that gave me some coaching on form, so that might be worth a look.
  • Kissimmee_Disney
    Kissimmee_Disney Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As far as readiness to start C25K is concerned, I'd generally advocate being comfortable walking for 30 minutes at a brisk pace. Of course brisk is open to interpretation, so I'd best describe it as purposefully rather than drifting. That should mean that the early stages of C25K are comfortably achievable.

In terms of how, just put one foot in front of the other ;) The main thing is to relax, stand tall and take it easy. I used the NHS podcast series, that gave me some coaching on form, so that might be worth a look.

Thank you!! And I will check that podcast out :)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Go for a brisk walk and after 5-10 minutes, try a little trot for a minute and see how it feels. You may surprise yourself! Go really slow. If it feels ok, then you're ready to start C25K.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I had tried running, for very brief periods, just to see if I could. It hurt my knees and ankles pretty bad, so I just walked. I used the treadmill a lot, and kept gradually increasing the incline every few days to push myself. Every 5 lbs or so that I lost, I tried the running thing again. Once I got to the point that I could run for a whole minute, without it hurting, I started pushing myself to run a minute, walj one to two minutes running a minute...
    After I managed making 5-1 minute runs, I decided that I was ready. I have been doing amazingly! I am so proud of myself, and am so glad that I have started this program.
    I would suggest making sure that you could do a couple minute long runs without it hurting anything. Breathing you are going to have to work on, but if you start the program and then hurt your knees or ankles enough that you would have to take a few days off, it might be discouraging.
    Whenever you decide to start, just be careful, take it slow, and you'll never regret it.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Brans34 wrote: »
    Whenever you decide to start, just be careful, take it slow, and you'll never regret it.

Really, LOL. It's obsessive, my most expensive shoes are running shoes. I now have more running shoes than all others put together. Seriously, C25k is a great programme, worth doing, you need to think about time on feet rather than speed. You have some great advice here. Sometimes just starting will help you do amazing things.

• MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was walking approx 4 times a week for 2 weeks before I started C25K.
    Start it and stick with it, it really isn't that bad! You will feel so accomplished once you start and finish day 1.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How do you know when you're really ready to do anything in life? Just try it out, see how it goes.

I started in November 2014 (maybe late October) and I could barely run for a minute . . . it wasn't my finest moment, by any means. Now I can run for 30 minutes without stopping. The trick is to go slow . . . and when you think you're going slow enough, go a little slower. Go for time, and when you kick that time's *kitten*, pick another time interval to reach for. Eventually you will get there.

You won't be ready to run a 5K, 10K, half or full marathon over night but you will be surprised by how quickly you make progress. You can do this, you just have to want to.

Running is also way more mental than physical - will yourself to keep going. Your body can (probably) do it but if you think you can't, then you'll stop yourself before you are even close to pushing the limits of your comfort zone.

Best of luck :)