Gut Stuff

Options
m_puppy
m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
This could get to be TMI, you've been warned.

What's the poop deal with Keto? I am not going regularly and it's starting to really bother me. I've had enough of this. I googled yesterday and kept coming up with a similar response, it's completely ok. Apparently not crapping is normal to a lot of people because less food and better nutrition. Allegedly I should be going less because my body is absorbing more. That's great in theory but there are some days when I eat the same amount if not more than I did when I was SAD. Sure my body may be using it more efficiently, but probably not ALL of it. If that were the case that means I have found the perfect world wherein a woman eats but never *kitten*. I would be the answer to the "girls don't poop" theory!

Next point, I don't feel well. I feel bloated. Sometimes I feel very pukey though this feeling isn't common unless it has been four or more days.

I have always had a messed up stomach. I used to go multiple times per day and get horrible stomach cramps all of the time. I don't want to go back to that so I'm complaining lightly. Now I'm lucky if I go twice in a week.

Magnesium used to help but it no longer does. I've tried apple cider vinegar but the smell alone makes me start gagging. Can't do it. Any other theories? I'm assuming more fiber. Any suggestions of specifically what I should put in my body? Sick of it! Literally.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention what you're eating. Both meat and cheese are slow to digest. For me, the problem was too much cheese.

What form of Mg did you try? The citrate form usually works. Some people suggest more fat, especially coconut oil and MCT.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The fewer vegetables you eat, the less you'll poop. The zero carb threads address this, too, so it might be worth looking at those responses. As @wabmester says, meat and cheese are slow to digest, so it takes longer to make enough fecal matter to dispose of, and too much protein and too little fat can cause issues, too. Additionally, you're not filling up with "packing peanuts" (aka insoluble fiber), so you have nothing to bulk things up. As long as the lack of going isn't making you physically uncomfortable and feeling like you need to go, but can't, then it really is fine.

Did you increase your dairy intake when you dropped carbs? You might be sensitive to dairy, and it's coming out now. Try dropping the dairy for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. Likewise, take a look at what you've been eating and see if you've introduced anything new, or you find any patterns. It could be something else triggering it. Did you increase your coconut product intake? More nuts? More eggs? These are the most common allergens/irritants on keto (coconut is still rare, though, so it might be worth ruling out the dairy, eggs, and nuts, first).
  • m_puppy
    Options
    I have been eating dairy. Yesterday was my first day dairy free. Hopefully that helps with some of it. My typical day though was 70-80% fat. Yesterday, a mainly meat day, I sucked at getting fat. Today I'll try to add in some fat bombs and eggs. I also eat cauliflower, Brussels sprout, asparagus or broccoli but only a couple of times a week. I used to eat avocado but due to a poorly planned induction and some throwing up back in January I no longer can eat my once favorite food.

Magnesium- I take Nature Made magnesium citrate 250mg.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Drink lots of water, too.
  • m_puppy
    Options
    I do that, too. That is what I thought the issue was but when I tracked I realized on bad days I get 80 ounces.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Why is pooping regularly so important to so many people? The important question is, when you have to go (even if it's twice a week) is going easy and painless? Are you able to go without straining or discomfort? Is the poop soft and smooth and not hard and dry? If you're answering yes to these questions, you are fine. How often you poop and how much poop comes out each time aren't really important.

I wouldn't add more fiber. Fiber tends to stuff things up and make bloating and other matters worse.

And, while not pooping often may be socially acceptable as a girl, imagine how hard it is for me being a boy who never farts. :wink:
  • m_puppy
    Options
    Hahaha I'm good with only pooping twice a week but I'm not good feeling bloated. It's not 100% of the time and it's not nearly as bad as before. My concern is more along the lines of actual gut health.
  • m_puppy
    Options
    Also, what can I say? I love to poop :#
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I have screwed up digestion after years on the hummingbird diet (where you eat half your weight in sugar each day) and other crappy eating. I take digestive enzymes with every freakin' meal that involves protein (or more than 1 or 2g carbs).

TMI: If I don't take them, you can see that some stuff goes through whole, especially greens & corn (corn still does).

If I seem to be having more problems than usual for a few days, I'll start drinking ACV in my water & sometimes even take HCl tablets before I eat. My system definitely likes low carb better than the hummingbird diet.
  • wabmester
    Options
    This guy is somewhat entertaining:
    https://www.gutsense.org/constipation/frequency.html

All I know is that my dog is a carnivore, and she poops daily. :)
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This issue seems to be one which affects a significant number of people using LCHF. This is borne out by the number of people regularly using Mag Cit, using laxatives etc. It's more evidence that there is no one size fits all and that generalities such as drink more water, eat more fat etc are not the answer. People with Diabetes seem to be particularly affected and it is recognised that diabetics have different gut flora from the general population. What is often overlooked is that the gut plays a very important role in our general health and is not simply only the vehicle for waste disposal. The gut is responsible for a lot of signalling in relation to our satiety etc. I don't have a specific answer for OP but I would share his/her concern. LCHF does seem to cause dense stools with the resultant problems with evacuation etc and is not to be treated lightly. I have found that GUTSENSE provides a lot of good information. I have also found that using milled flaxseed with yogurt does help, at least for me, with the problems that the OP highlights.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    Hahaha I'm good with only pooping twice a week but I'm not good feeling bloated. It's not 100% of the time and it's not nearly as bad as before. My concern is more along the lines of actual gut health.

Are you using anything with "added fiber" to it? Ingredients like chicory root (aka inulin) can make your stomach feel horrible without actually doing all that much to make you go. Same thing with some sugar alcohols - it varies from person to person how they do on them. The bloating may be unrelated to how often you're going, and just your body not liking something you're eating, period.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who freaked out a bit the first time I did lclf last July, just keep going. It gets better and your poops will be better quality. Just saying I've been there. I was bloating last week, my first week back on after two months off (its a long story) but I started walking 30 minutes a day and cooking my vegtablesl longer and that seems to have helped. Good luck, everyone is different. Find out what works for you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Are you using anything with "added fiber" to it? Ingredients like chicory root (aka inulin) can make your stomach feel horrible without actually doing all that much to make you go. Same thing with some sugar alcohols - it varies from person to person how they do on them. The bloating may be unrelated to how often you're going, and just your body not liking something you're eating, period.

Oh, the sugar alcohol induced misery. Soy does this to me too... So there could very easily be a food trigger.

I'd love to know what my gut flora situation looks like! I'm sure there is a test for that, but my medical budget is nuked through August.
  • SRJennings
    SRJennings Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I take a high quality Acidophilus probiotic every day to address the issues you're talking about. After dropping my daily yogurt in order to go low-carb, I was running into some serious gut problems. You are smart to drop the dairy to test to see if that causes the bloating. Also, I can have that reaction to Broccoli.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Oh, the sugar alcohol induced misery. Soy does this to me too... So there could very easily be a food trigger.

I'd love to know what my gut flora situation looks like! I'm sure there is a test for that, but my medical budget is nuked through August.

I've never had too much SA issues before, but something got me good the other day. Tried my first (and last) chocolate peanut butter quest bar. I don't know exactly what it was that was different than the other ones I've had, but it felt like a gall bladder attack (and I don't have a gb anymore).
  • wabmester
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

There is a test, and they've been compiling results, but so far, I don't think they've found any definitive trends. The main finding seems to be that there's a diverse population of bugs, both in healthy and not-so-healthy individuals.

http://americangut.org/?page_id=104
  • m_puppy
    Options
    No to the added fiber supplements. I've considered it though. I bought some psyllium husk last night but couldn't bring myself to consume the glass full of water. I am seriously willing to try anything... until I have to consume it haha. I came to you guys because my fear is that I'll try a bunch of different things and end up with a long term issue instead of the current issue. I would be shocked if it is soy because I would wonder where soy is sneaking in. But hey, anything is possible! I am going to consider a good probiotic for the time being. No dairy. I've never heard of coconut being a problem. Between this and my seasonal allergies, I may be turning into a bubble boy. Just the thought makes me want to stress eat lol.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This issue seems to be one which affects a significant number of people using LCHF. This is borne out by the number of people regularly using Mag Cit, using laxatives etc. It's more evidence that there is no one size fits all and that generalities such as drink more water, eat more fat etc are not the answer. People with Diabetes seem to be particularly affected and it is recognised that diabetics have different gut flora from the general population. What is often overlooked is that the gut plays a very important role in our general health and is not simply only the vehicle for waste disposal. The gut is responsible for a lot of signalling in relation to our satiety etc. I don't have a specific answer for OP but I would share his/her concern. LCHF does seem to cause dense stools with the resultant problems with evacuation etc and is not to be treated lightly. I have found that GUTSENSE provides a lot of good information. I have also found that using milled flaxseed with yogurt does help, at least for me, with the problems that the OP highlights.

I'd argue, based on my experience, that a solid 90% or so of people are:

1) just ill-informed and are freaking out because they aren't going every single day or multiple times per day and believe that they "should" (and aren't actually constipated)
    or
    2) stuck in "low fat" mode and running on protein and haven't gotten their fat high enough for proper regulation (and are actually constipated)

The incidence of use of laxatative substances isn't indicative of people actually being constipated from these ways of eating.

Ever live with a breastfed infant? After six weeks, it's not uncommon for exclusively breastfed infants to only have a bowel movement once a week. This is due to the high bioavailability of human milk to infants -- they absorb just about all of it. Also, as the Gutsense article mentions -- as long as your bowel movements aren't difficult or painful, and as long as they're not dried out and hard, it's actually nothing to be concerned about.

Keep in mind, too, that many people who come to LCHF do so for health reasons, and odds are, they're deficient in one or more nutrients. For many nutrients, the body will absorb it as long as it's deficient in that nutrient. This can mean more complete absorption of the nutrients in the food. Combine that with the lack of insoluble fiber, which only adds bulk to stool, and the result is less crap in the colon to begin with.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I would just cut dairy and avoid fiber, try to get fattier cuts of meat. Coconut oil, butter, something lower in lactose to add to the fat. If my guts go quiet, a 200g fat day seems to get them moving again. Sometimes I go daily, other times it's so long I forget how long it's been. Don't stress, but yeah check your dairy habit.