Data from 3 months for VSG - visual example for newbies!

blairmundy
blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
I'm now 3 months to the day that I started my pre-op diet for VSG. I kept really detailed weight records and have a good chart showing exactly when and how the changes came. I thought I'd post it for anyone who wants to know what the first three months might be like visually - I know it was something I would have liked to see. Of course everyone is different, but my pattern seems pretty typical based on what I read, even if the actual amounts are not necessarily average. Disclosure: I don't know if they are or aren't close to average, I tend to think they might be a bit better than average but not atypically so. Here is some other relevant info:

--I started at 310 and after 90 days am at 255.
--I ripped my internal stitches at 2 weeks out and had to take it easy for another 2 weeks.
--I would consider myself generally pretty active though I most certainly did not work out every day. I'll try to add a mapmyfitness chart to this if I can. I'd say I averaged about 3 workouts a week, some short and some long, but all with decent intensity. I also chase a toddler around a lot.
--I average between 600 and 700 cals in the post-liquid only phase
--I only did 1/2 week on purees and moved to more solid but soft food
--I'm shooting for 60 g of protein a day and fail at that most of the time. But I regularly get 50.
--I'm 36, female and had no comorbidities to deal with
--Notice that the plateaus come at fairly regular intervals and are getting shorter each time.The first one was the worst, but take note - it does get better!

So, here's the data.

j3bnwoie030c.png

EDIT: Here is my workout log. "Gym workout" is elliptical machine. Other/generic is lawn mowing, tree trimming, shoveling dirt, etc. Sorry it's so long.

7f803vxthcet.png

Replies

• joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    This is great info @blairmundy ! Thanks so much for sharing! As a newbie, just hitting my one month this week, I feel great some days like I am doing fantastic and then other days I feel like I am not doing anything right...but I am trusting this process and trying my best to keep the most positive attitude I can! Your weight loss is awesome! Thanks for being there for us <3
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    thanks!
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    Wow - that is so helpful to see. Thank you so much for posting this, it is so encouraging right now!
  • aimeelynn121
    aimeelynn121 Posts: 9 Member
    @joysie1970 I'm glad I am not the only one I feel that way too. Today is my 2 week mark, I started soft food today as requested by my surgery. Since I am new at this whole thing I feel like I am not doing it right; however, I have to have faith that I am. Did you experience low energy in the first 2 weeks? I feel like I should start feeling like myself again and gain some bit of energy.

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Your body is healing from the trauma of surgery, so it's perfectly normal to feel low energy. Trust the process. Focus on rest, water intake and protein - and move around as much as you can - but don't worry about pushing yourself really hard physically at this point. You'll feel better soon and it'll come naturally.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    @joysie1970 I'm glad I am not the only one I feel that way too. Today is my 2 week mark, I started soft food today as requested by my surgery. Since I am new at this whole thing I feel like I am not doing it right; however, I have to have faith that I am. Did you experience low energy in the first 2 weeks? I feel like I should start feeling like myself again and gain some bit of energy.
    Some days I feel like I am bursting with energy and others I feel like a limp rag...everyday is still different but they are starting to level off :)
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    at the two week point i didn't have much energy, mainly due to not taking in very many carbs. as the diet changes and you can get in more carbs, in addition to your minimum protien, your energy level will get better
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    There is a great website called Trendweight. It will graph your weights, similar to the above, and it will also iron out the anomalies and show a smooth curve. It will also extrapolate your existing data and show you where your future weight trend will go. Hence, trendweight.

The site will take your weights from from your Fitbit account, which in turn gets them from MFP, so you don't have to input them all over again. It also will take the weights directly from an Aria or other wifi scales.

If you give it a goal weight, it will show you the future curve, and the date you can expect to reach your goal. It was very accurate for me.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Oh - I can't wait to play with that! I've been doing a similar thing with just a piece of notebook paper.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Thanks, grim. Great site!